What About Your Tractor Makes You Swear?

Fear

Equipment
L2501 HST, Front Loader, Finish Mower, Box Blade, Backhoe
Jun 27, 2016
Cedar Creek, Texas
Waiting for the dealer to get everything together to deliver it towards the end of this week. That is the one thing that is making me swear the most about it at this very moment. I am sure there will be more to follow. Probably along the lines of fitting my 50 year old 6'5" body into and out of the tractor.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Waiting for the dealer to get everything together to deliver it towards the end of this week. That is the one thing that is making me swear the most about it at this very moment. I am sure there will be more to follow. Probably along the lines of fitting my 50 year old 6'5" body into and out of the tractor.
Piece of cake! After climbing over the loader arms or up over the 3 pt to get onto my old Ford 8N, these new shiny things are wonderful, even have steps and such! At 50 you are quite a bit younger than many of us :D:D

Vraz

May 22, 2016
Stillwater, MN
How about the engineer that made the front latch for the mmm.
Handle on one side and the latch pin on the other!
Suffice it to say, this caused some inappropriate cursing. Was early in my MMM attach/detach experience and came after other challenges. Agree that more engineering effort could have placed the pin and handle on the same side.

ABruce

Equipment
L295dt
Jun 23, 2016
Armstrong BC
Hi,
I am the proud new owner of an elderly L295dt with an aftermarket FEL a huge step up from my Blue 1200. Biggest two complaints so far, big feet, small place to put them, tripped twice getting off, expect to go head over heels one day
but bigger pain yet is the battery at the very front, with the FEL flat cant ope the hood, can not access the battery, if say you have a new tractor and inadvertently left the headlights on, and the battery goes dead its a bit of a pain.
Remote boost connections on order.......

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Hi,
I am the proud new owner of an elderly L295dt with an aftermarket FEL a huge step up from my Blue 1200. Biggest two complaints so far, big feet, small place to put them, tripped twice getting off, expect to go head over heels one day
but bigger pain yet is the battery at the very front, with the FEL flat cant ope the hood, can not access the battery, if say you have a new tractor and inadvertently left the headlights on, and the battery goes dead its a bit of a pain.
Remote boost connections on order.......
Don't know if this is an option for you but on my dad's Long that takes a while to get to the battery we just hook the jumper cables to the starter where the cable comes from the battery and to a bolt head that makes a good ground.

Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Don't know if this is an option for you but on my dad's Long that takes a while to get to the battery we just hook the jumper cables to the starter where the cable comes from the battery and to a bolt head that makes a good ground.
We do the same on dad's l2250 :)

kris77

Jun 9, 2016
CA
Dont know if this has been mentioned anywhere or not....But the level that controls the mower deck or the 3 point hitch on the BX is right beside the lever that controls high and low gear.

In the past week, i've grabbed the gear lever and pulled it out of low gear into high gear when trying to raise the mower deck or rear blade......makes me so mad.

millsan1

Equipment
BX25D, SGC05, 4' Box Blade, 6' rake, 6' blade, Titan BX42 Chipper
Now I remember. The tension nut for the throttle on my BX comes loose. Minor PITA, but when you tighten it, you have to get it juuuust right, or it goes loose again right away. And juuuust right is 1/16 of a turn loose from "I can't move the throttle"

BigRed57

Equipment
L2350 4x4 land pride 4ft bush hog
Jun 29, 2016
Society Hill S.C.
Blue locktite millsan. Blue locktite. I have a couple holes from foxes and rabbits in my upper field. Everytime I'm out mowing and hit one I say a dirty word. That's going to get fixed this week though. New 4060 with fel came in yesterday. Time to knock some orange paint off that bucket ***55357;***56841;

Last edited:

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
Oh my. This tractor is why I am not allowed to join any religion. For my 2005 BX1850....

Body - there isn't a piece of plastic on it that isn't cracked or busted. The hood emplem fell of ages ago. The tabs to hold the engine cowling in place are gone. Both fenders are cracked. Both headlights filled with water. Seeing a piece of orange plastic laying somewhere in previously mowed area is normal.

Front tires. What a joke. I have the ag tires - and if they would hold air for more than a couple days I would tend to believe the planet's ozone problem has been resolved. On my 4th or 5th set. How many cans of fix-a-flat equals new tire? I lost count....

Those stupid little rubber boots on the front end steering that get ripped to shreds in tall grass........speaking of steering...another joke. I've spent more money on just steering issues than all other repairs, maintenance combined. And still, this orange loser goes round and round and where she goes nobody knows. Add in that as far as I know there is no way to bleed the steering cylinder outside of "now spin the steering wheel real, real fast".

And then there was the time it blew out the oil seal on the rear left....all the tranny fluid drains out....and then, lo and behold....the seal sucked itself back into place. What the....???

And lastly, dealer service. Used to be a trip in for repair or maintenance meant at least a week to 10 days. Then there was the time i got it back after full maintenance, fired it up, and watched it blow all the tranny fluid out the back. And there was that time I took it in for steering problems - told them I wanted the steering cylinder replaced - only to get a bill for $1600 cuz they decided it was the steering pump. Still have the steering problem....
And then, the $600 repair shop bill to un-tangle the ball of wires that were just jammed up under the seat/body from the previous repair.

But, I have found if I heavily sedate myself before getting on it - well, things tend to just be different and I am less loudly berate Kubota, their momma's, and all their kin...and even less apt to beat the steering wheel to a pulp with a 3lb sledge.

But the engine runs great!

melvinhatcher

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525FEL, 66" QA BUCKET, L8455CRUISE CONTROL KIT, WR LONG 3RD FUNCITIO
Feb 16, 2016
Edgewood Maryland
Doing my 50 hr. service HST filter change. Removing that HST filter on my L3301 was a son of a gun. I had to use a chain pipe wrench and my torque wrench, which took over 90 ft. lbs. of torque to even start that filter to turn, which actually crushed the filter.

:mad:

Attachments

Last edited:

Lennyzx11

Equipment
L3301
Dec 18, 2015
Bennington Vermont
Doing my 30 hr. service HST filter change. Removing that HST filter on my L3301 was a son of a gun. I had to use a chain pipe wrench and my torque wrench, which took over 90 ft. lbs. of torque to even start that filter to turn, which actually crushed the filter.

:mad:

Me too the same way. I was laying on my back with a 24" pipe wrench on it and using my feet against the rear tire to get mine off.
There is no reason for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
And lastly, dealer service. Used to be a trip in for repair or maintenance meant at least a week to 10 days. Then there was the time i got it back after full maintenance, fired it up, and watched it blow all the tranny fluid out the back. And there was that time I took it in for steering problems - told them I wanted the steering cylinder replaced - only to get a bill for $1600 cuz they decided it was the steering pump. Still have the steering problem....
And then, the $600 repair shop bill to un-tangle the ball of wires that were just jammed up under the seat/body from the previous repair.
Your nicer then me :rolleyes: I wouldn't have paid for the steering pump if I sent it in for a cylinder. Nor would I have paid for a mess in the wiring that there mechanic left ;)

Anytime I have work done. They have to save the old parts, and show me what was replaced. And why it went bad. I also do a complete walk around of the equipment and visually inspect it. Then fire it up and check operation before I'll sign there ticket and pay them. If I'm not happy with something, it gets addressed right there before they get paid. If it's after paying, they have no incentive to make it right. I also find out the bill total, before I do my walk around and inspection. This way they can't bill you for something that should have been done to begin with. If they balk at me doing an inspection before paying, then I calmly inform them, that someone else will be working on my equipment from now on ;)

There has been a couple times where they took it upon themselves to do unauthorized work, or replace something with out checking with me first. I've thanked them for it, then asked that it be removed from the bill ;) Sometimes, I've had to bypass the service manager and go to there boss to get the issue resolved. Especially if it was blatant over charging for the service provided. Like 18 hours for a 4 hour job. Or something blatantly stupid, like a tech charging three hours for computer diagnostics when the machine in question has no way for a computer to attach to it. I fired the local green dealer because of that crap. :rolleyes:

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
Your nicer then me
Not sure about that. I emailed the owner after all was said and done - and he wouldn't even respond. In the long run, it's ok. I can buy what I need on line from other places. Of course, alot of the broken stuff will never be replaced. It just bugs me that i have to empty the headlights to stop the mold from growing in them.... :)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Flat front tires... constantly. never even tried fixing them.

Seems to be a problem with the BX series, though I dont know why, I went back and told the dealer about mine going flat and he handed me 2 bottles of slime,, put them in and havent had a problem since thats been a few years ago,, though the tire guys is gona be pizzed when he changes then

melvinhatcher

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525FEL, 66" QA BUCKET, L8455CRUISE CONTROL KIT, WR LONG 3RD FUNCITIO
Feb 16, 2016
Edgewood Maryland
. . . and another thing. now three of the tie-rod ends will not take grease. :mad: I suppose I need to remove the zerks and or replace them. This should not be happening on a new tractor, with only 50 hours. :mad:

millsan1

Equipment
BX25D, SGC05, 4' Box Blade, 6' rake, 6' blade, Titan BX42 Chipper
Flat front tires... constantly. never even tried fixing them.

Seems to be a problem with the BX series, though I dont know why, I went back and told the dealer about mine going flat and he handed me 2 bottles of slime,, put them in and havent had a problem since thats been a few years ago,, though the tire guys is gona be pizzed when he changes then
This x1000.

I have used my BX for a lot of front end loader work since new.

I tried all sorts of solutions.

Filled tires were the answer for me.