Potentially Buying a L225DT with Loader and Backhoe

flyingcircleg

Equipment
L3430
May 28, 2014
Placerville, CA
There is a 1978 kubota L225DT with loader and backhoe, diesel 24 hp engine with 1481 hours on it for sale about 3 hours from me. The guy is asking $8,500. Looking for a little compact tractor, was originally looking at getting a new Kioti DS3510 with FEL and hoe, but that would be around $25k OTD, I could get this and be paid for cash....

Anyways, back on topic, just going to be used for ranch chores (moving fire wood, digging out the occasional stump, digging trench for water line, moving dirt around, ect.)

Is this a good price or a little high? Any inherent problems with these? It has new tires, new hoses on the backhoe, paint is original and faded, and all the rams have been repacked. Original owner, man is in his 70's and has been using it around his ranch since new. Only reason he is selling he he bought a brand new Grand L40... Looking for advice before potentially dropping my hard earned coin on this. Thanks.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
That is about what it - the whole package - went for new. Back then, there was support for it. Now it is obsolete - any major part breaks and you are in the used parts market. There weren't lots and lots of them sold. It is/was a great tractor, but I wouldn't put that much into it. More like about 4500-5500.
The FEL on my 185 was a permanent mount, and the backhoe was on the 3ph. My backhoe was poorly designed; stabilizers wouldn't pick up the back of the tractor or offer a lot of stability, bleedoff was significant, and the swing uses a motorcycle chain and sprocket. I broke the chain a dozen times and more. Just now it is waiting for me to build a new sliding bar that moves the chain...
For another $2000 you can probably pick up a much newer machine.

Last edited:

flyingcircleg

Equipment
L3430
May 28, 2014
Placerville, CA
A L3430 HST jsut popped up on Craigslist. About 3 hours from me as well. 4-in-1 bucket, top-n-tilt kit for the 3pt, and a Woods Groundbreaker 9000 backhoe on it, its got some high hours on it though (3,500). The guys is asking $13,500.....

How long do these things live (hour wise)?

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
A good working backhoe is worth a couple thousand at least. What do similar sized 4x4 tractors go for in your area? Original owner and well cared for is worth a lot too, especially on older gear that often comes hammered and with no history or paperwork.

My tractor is similar model and vintage. I've worked it pretty hard and so far had zero problem getting parts from local dealers. That said, I haven't broken anything, just replaced parts that were used up.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
A good working backhoe is worth a couple thousand at least. What do similar sized 4x4 tractors go for in your area? Original owner and well cared for is worth a lot too, especially on older gear that often comes hammered and with no history or paperwork.

My tractor is similar model and vintage. I've worked it pretty hard and so far had zero problem getting parts from local dealers. That said, I haven't broken anything, just replaced parts that were used up.
I agree about the backhoe, but the key phrase is "good working backhoe".

My backhoe is the Kubota K/L 650, standard issue for the L185/245 tractors. I wouldn't pay $500 for it as it was new. I've built on new stabilizers, and made the 3 point mount rigid. The valves have always bled off faster than the hoe could dig 4 feet of ditch - this year I'm going to put needle valves on the stabilizer cylinders. I've put flow control valves on the swing cylinder, hoping to slow it down enough to NOT keep breaking the chain and chain slider bar. In its first 6 months, the backhoe blew EVERY ONE of the hydraulic hoses. Not what I'd call "good working". If the L225DT has an after-market hoe, it might be a good one. Hours are low. But it is obsolete. There are no major parts readily available from Kubota. For that money, I'd be nervous.

The L3430 is a full size tractor; a good one. But 3500 hours is a lot on the running gear, to me. I guess it would depend on the type of service, and the maintenance records.
Just my opinion. Tractors are built to be used, however. Might be great.
Gil

flyingcircleg

Equipment
L3430
May 28, 2014
Placerville, CA
So late, but a update. Ended up picking up a L3430.... HST with a Woods 1016 loader, 4 in 1 bucket, Woods BH9000 hoe with a 12" and 18" buckets, top-n-tilt kit and a set of forks for $12k. 3400 hours on it, tires are in decent shape, guy had all service invoices and just had a new HST put in by the dealer...

Couple pics of her...

Last edited: