BH92 users

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
Hey guys Im contemplating adding a BH92 to the MX5100. I was hoping some guys who use the BH92 would let me know their thoughts on it and any likes or dislikes they have. I know I can find a decent used mini ex with 2500+ hrs for 15k-20k but I wont be using it enough to merit spending that kind of money. Thank you in advance for any replies

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
KUB3700, my personal take on ANY BH vs a mini ex is that BH's are mostly useless, unless on a large machine and even then will never work as well as a mini ex.

I have used backhoes for over 27years, and have used them to dig everything from rocks, trenches, stumps, etc...as well as to move material and lift things like logs and other objects.

Your breakout force, lift capacity, etc will all be more with a mini ex. In most cases, the tractor is not as maneuverable and can't operate in the same conditions as an Ex (side hills especially).

I have found local rental places that will rent me a 10k lb KX121 excavator for $300 a weekend with hydraulic thumb, heated cab, insurance and spare bucket.

It will take a long time to pay for the $5000 backhoe for my Kubota at that rate, and the KX is WAY more of a machine than my B9200 will ever be.

Some people have good reasons to have a backhoe at their disposal at all times...however I like to group my projects and do a rental (or some day buy) a mini ex for the job.

JMO. There are LOTS of BH owners, and I'm sure some of them use their BH's....but I have also seen almost new BH's with more rust than wear.

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
Bill, I figured I would get responses like this. If I had work that would sustain that big of a payment, I would def. agree on the mini ex. The only prob is that to find a decent one they have over 3k hours of beating and are still 20k. There are pros and cons to both, ie: maintenance on two machines, transporting. If I have a job that I need both machines on I would have to get a 30' gooseneck to get them both there, thats another 10k. Let me be clear I agree with you that the mini ex by far is the way to go. Its really all about the money for me. I can get the bh92 for about $10k, and I think it will do everything I need it to

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Bill Dog: It's about time some one had the nerve to express an experienced opinion on the minimum value to most guys for a BH on a BX.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Im sorry but I have to interject something here,, the term minimum value is really a misnomer in that the tool is use for jobs that that sized tool was designed to do. As in could you dig a foundation with one, sure you could, but you could do it with a shovel too. That is not to say they have a minimum value , based on the job. I used one to pull RR ties in place on a bridge we built at Dads, no big machine would have fit where we needed it, did it yes it did, and did everything we asked of it. Would a Mini Ex been better maybe, but that's what we had to work with and it worked well with in its designed limitations. We have done many things, reclaimed a creek dug septic tank holes and water tank holes and the BH worked admirably. Now I wouldn't want to beusing on a big job but some times big aint always better

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I agree Skeets, big isn't always better. Kub3700, I have never used a BH92, but would love to put a BH on my 2920 someday. I have run many backhoes and yes, an excavator is more nimble and maneuverable, but a backhoe can be very useful. It comes down to how an operator uses one and if they are willing to spend a little more time to get the job done. I wouldn't have any hesitation putting a backhoe on a tractor and using it for jobs around the Homestead. Just take your time and have patience.

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
Sorry guys Im not trying to start a debate on the backhoe vs excavator. Obviously we all know an excavator is designed for the job and it does a hell of a job but I cant bushhog nor could I grade my dirt road with it. In a perfect world I would have a mini ex for digging, a svl90 for grading, and a m9540 for bushhoging, oh yeah and a bx25 for mowing the yard!! but since Im not wealthy like most Im stuck with one machine, I figured for $10k I can have the best of all of the above, and yes it will take a little longer, but thats okay. My main reason for the post is to have some guys who actually own a bh92 to chime in so I can maybe get some thoughts one way or the other. Currently I have around 350' of ditch and a handful of stumps to dig out on my 3 acres. As with any equipment I buy I do a few jobs here and there to pay for it. My tractor pays for itself with a few quarterly bushhog accounts. Thanks for all the replies

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
LOL,, Not to worry, a good discussion that covers all points is good for the question, we all have views and we all have experiences and as such can add to the conversation. All of the comments brought up have valid points to be considered, the hard part for you is to sort through them and make your own decision, to suit your needs

Billdog350

Equipment
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Kub3700....are you using the BH for business or personal use?

350ft of trench and some stumps sounds like a weekend, maybe two for a decent sized excavator. Again you're talking $600....maybe a bit more with fuel and such to pick it up and drop it off...

If you really want to spend $10k for something you'll likely use a few times a year at most (likely) then maybe it makes sense for you. My dad has an L48 with the BH1100 on it. That's one of the beefiest backhoes Kubota makes. He uses it for logging, ditching, stumping, etc on his 93 acres in VT. Its a GREAT counterweight for the tractor, and can help stabilize you when overloaded and on side hills.

I have rented a Takeuchi tb135 several times and was very impressed with the tb compared to the BH1100.

At the end of the day, its about wrapping up $10k in something to get a task accomplished. If you feel its worth that kind of money to have the BH at your disposal, then you're good to go. Otherwise, renting a mini Ex for the job at hand will give you more money to buy other attachments for your M that you'll use more often :)

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
Billdog, originally when I bought my 3 acres I had alot of cleaning up to do, and I figured I cant live in the country and not have a tractor :) so I bought the L3700su well after all the work was done on the property I decided to put the thing to work so I could at least cover the payments so I started advertising a little and picked up enough bushhog accounts to pay for the tractor. Then I started getting into some thick hogging and found that the 3700 was lacking so I traded her in for the MX. So to say I have a tractor business would be streching it but I have more than enough accounts to pay for the tractor. Lately, I have been getting alot of calls for stump removal and trenching, and though Im getting calls im quoting with the price of renting a mini and Im not winning the bids, thats how all the talk of the bh began, the 350' of trenching and stumps on the property is how Im selling the deal to the boss ;) So yes to answer your question Ill be using it for business but I def. dont have the business to justify the mini, and I have a 2 yr old that love tractors and would love to have a bh!!

Bigboy

Aug 29, 2014
Louisiana
Sorry to chime in like this but I'm trying to figure out how to post something how to do it thanks having tractor issues

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
For posting pictures go to the room for repairs, etc. and the very top post tells how. that's the room at the top when you first hit "forum".

But if you look down below where you are posting, you see "manage attachments". If you know the place on your computer,, they use the "browse" feature to find it. Finally you have to punch the upload button.

Don't use a file that is too large. For photos the width should not exceed 1,000 as I recall and use the jpg file type which can take photos that large. Some other file types are difficult to post unless very small.

Billdog350

Equipment
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Kub3700, sounds like you can justify the BH and possibly make enough in side jobs to pay for it over time...which is a perfect scenario. For personal use, I would still suggest the mini EX...or even if your business was going to get any larger...because the EX can use hammers and such with the increased hydraulic flow/pressure.

Make sure to get the FULL frame for the BH and install it TIGHTLY with locktight....you don't want the frame getting loose and snapping your tractor in half. I have a customer with a B2150 that snapped his tractor in half several times (broken hydraulic lines and bellhousing bolts) from BH abuse and loose subframe bolts. The M is a much Beefier tractor, but you still need to ensure to buy the full subframe and install tightly.