Snowblower issues

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
I have a BX 24 with a BX 2750C snowblower with the electric chute deflector model GB2513.

Here is the issue: the chute deflector didn't work the other day so I just dealt with it the way it was. Today I had an opportunity to try and figure out what was wrong with it. I used the multimeter and I was getting power to the motor.After going through several fuses I dug a little deeper and found adout a tablespoon worth of water in the housing. I then took the air compressor and blew it all out in hopes that would help. After getting about a half of a teaspoon more water out, I tried to move the motor shaft and found that it is froze up :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have only had to use the snowblower 1 season and the first time in 3 years this past storm. Several hundred dollars for maybe 40-50 times of use seems a bit high.

Has anybody had this happen and is there an inexpensive way to repair it?

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Has anybody had this happen and is there an inexpensive way to repair it?
Maybe you try to get it waterproof. :D

Normaly I use selfsticking rubberband for cable-thoughs and rubber/silicon for the case when I am working at weatherstations at the shore.
But "water in the system" sounds like design failure in the product... :(
Maybe you should try to figure out where the water comes in the case. Somtimes a cable is not correct layed out and the water runs along in the case.

der carl

Kubota_Man

Equipment
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Well I callled Thomson (maker of the actuator) and Kubota today and expressed my dissatisfaction and was told they would look into it and get back to me.

I did the math and figured as for that part alone it cost me $17.50 per time I used the snowblower. Not to cost effective yet :(

Fingers crossed that when they get back to me it will be with good news :)

Kubota_Man

Equipment
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Thanks Snowgoer I'll check it out.

I heard back from Thomson and Kubota and both said basically it sucks to be you :(

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
OK, so the motor is out of action. Give the bearings a good shot of Kroil, or other penetrating, rust dissolving compound (not wd-40). The first thing usually is the shaft rusts a bit and jams up in the bearings (assuming oilite bearings) if that's all it is and it spins re-oil it well. The next possibility is the armature rusts and swells a bit and jams in the magnet poles. Kroil dissolves rust the best of anything I know. So hopefully a good soak will get it turning. If you can remove the end cap and remove the brushes so they don't get soaked that would be a big benefit. Like you said it isn't working; can you make it much worse?
If it is welded at the center seam grind the welds away and it should pop open. Mark it so it goes back to original position.
Had the draft-inducer motor seize up in my furnace, in a blizzard, the service guy in a Jeep 4WD couldn't get out of his driveway. So I had to grind, Kroil, lube, hose clamp my way back to a working furnace.

If you see inside where puddles of water built up to cause the damage, drill some weep holes in the shell.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well KM if it bothers you that much I'll just come out and take it off your hands, and to show what a nice guy I am I wont even charge you anything to haul that POS away!! I mean what are friends for??? Right??

orangemen1

Equipment
t1770/t2740
Jan 28, 2012
marlboro Mass
si have a t2740 snowblower for a T1770, i would like to add an electric

chute control option. i was amazed after calling a supplier for

the actuator alone... it was $689.00 this is insane.

my question, how do you determine which actuator to use.

any help appreciated.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If you look through some of the past posts you will find some pretty neat home made set ups. For 600 and some bucks the dealer should come out and clean the road for you,, Most likely you could build some thing for under 50 bucks I would think,,,,just MHO you understand

Kubota_Man

Equipment
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
si have a t2740 snowblower for a T1770, i would like to add an electric

chute control option. i was amazed after calling a supplier for

the actuator alone... it was $689.00 this is insane.

my question, how do you determine which actuator to use.

any help appreciated.
I don't know about your model mine however was a 5" stroke and 75lbs lift rating.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Skeets of course that's what friends are for ;)

I did look around on https://www.surpluscenter.com/home.asp as Snowgoer sugested and found one for under $100.00

What really amzes me is the dealer (whom I do like) gave me a price for a new actuator of $575.00 :eek: then gave me a price of $475.00 for a complete kit :confused: kinda makes you want to scratch your head and say HUH????

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have been trying to find a couple of threads that guys have done to their chuts but I cant find them must be an easyer way of looking up past threads I just dont know how,,
SOOOOOOOO ahhhhhhh when can I stop by and pick it up:rolleyes:

orangemen1

Equipment
t1770/t2740
Jan 28, 2012
marlboro Mass
Skeets of course that's what friends are for ;)

I did look around on https://www.surpluscenter.com/home.asp as Snowgoer sugested and found one for under $100.00

What really amzes me is the dealer (whom I do like) gave me a price for a new actuator of $575.00 :eek: then gave me a price of $475.00 for a complete kit :confused: kinda makes you want to scratch your head and say HUH????

===my dealer quoted me $500.00 for the GB2513 installed, what
a deal.

orangemen1

Equipment
t1770/t2740
Jan 28, 2012
marlboro Mass
If you are even a little bit handy with tools you can install it yourself ;)
i'm a bit handy, i think i found one on the surplus center, their p/n

5-1577-6 linear actuator, the mounting kit 5-1577-b total for parts

$96.90 plus $12 for shipping. a friend gave me a switch.

i need to take some measurements before i order it.

orangemen1

Equipment
t1770/t2740
Jan 28, 2012
marlboro Mass
i have a t1770 with a Model 2740 snowblower attached to the front.

i need some advice, in order to raise the blower off the ground when

backing up, i need to pull back a large handle, its a reach not too

mention a pain in the neck to do this each time. wondering if

anyone had some suggestions on how to motorize this.

Jim