4wd not working on L245dt

chartersj

Equipment
L245dt
Oct 25, 2018
New brunswick, Canada
Trying to figure out why the 4wd is not working on my l245dt. When I jack the front end off the ground and turn one wheel by hand the other front wheel will not spin when the lever is in 4wd or 2wd, and its the same for both sides. I cannot see if the driveshaft is turning or not because it is in a tube. I recently had the front end off to pull the timing cover off but it slid back on no problem so I figured the driveshaft splines must have meshed up fine to the front diff. Should I loosen the bolts off the front end to make a gap enough to see if the driveshaft is turning? How else can I diagnose where my problem is?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Should I loosen the bolts off the front end to make a gap enough to see if the driveshaft is turning? How else can I diagnose where my problem is?
You should be able to remove just the one bolt (in blue), slide the cover to the rear and check the shaft for movement when you spin the front wheels.
You also do the reverse, with front tires off the ground, in 2wd try and turn the shaft, in 4wd the shaft should net be able to be turned.
Common issue with these is one of the couplers (in yellow) will be stripped and have little or no splines left in them.

Attachments

chartersj

Equipment
L245dt
Oct 25, 2018
New brunswick, Canada
You should be able to remove just the one bolt (in blue), slide the cover to the rear and check the shaft for movement when you spin the front wheels.
You also do the reverse, with front tires off the ground, in 2wd try and turn the shaft, in 4wd the shaft should net be able to be turned.
Common issue with these is one of the couplers (in yellow) will be stripped and have little or no splines left in them.

Thanks! Did as you said and the driveshaft was not into the front diff. Was able to grab it with some pliers and pull the shaft onto the splines of the front diff. It doesn't seem like there is much holding it into the front diff? Was thinking there might be a spring or something to hold it in?

chartersj

Equipment
L245dt
Oct 25, 2018
New brunswick, Canada
I see part number 3 on the diagram in the manual says there is snap rings on either side of the couplers. I must not have slid the tube back far enough to expose them.