Showtime or snowtime?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'm considering a blower just for the drives. Hard to beat the plow on the road. One swipe down the middle, one on each side. I figure the tractor and the plow weigh around 10 grand so I have plenty weight to push whatever I need to push..

This summer I need to fix a couple welds on it, sandblast it and paint it Kubby Orange. I also need to fabricate a set of skid shoes for it. It has round skid shoes but I want a set of flat 'ski's' instead, Thinking maybe 10" wide and hard faced on the bottom side and it needs another set of tip over springs. Only has 4. Needs 6.

We got around 12" give or take. It blew so hard, hard to tell just how much. I had spots with 4 foot drifts (see picture) and had to hit those with the blade up a bit to knock them down and then a back pass with the blade on the road.

Best 800 bucks I've spent in a long time and I was a bit concerned if the M9 would handle the plow width. No problem, could probably hand a 12 footer.

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Got it again last night. an additional 6" of fluffy snow. Did another plow job this morning but this time the prevailing wind was from the east to the west so the north south road to the pavement was drifted pretty bad. Not anymore.

Never thought I'd be using the plow as much as I am. Think chains will be the order of the day for the front wheels to keep the plow steer to a minimum and possibly a set of wheels instead of skids on the backside. Not little wheels but air filled rubber tires on swivel arms.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
First failure on the 800 buck plow last night, broke a power angle bolt off, sheared it in two. Probably from pushing snow banks that seem to be getting bigger and bigger. Had to scrounge around the shop fr a 3/4" Grade 8 the correct length to go through the mounting boss, the cylinder ram end and out the top with enough exposed threads to get a nut and split lock on.

Getting quite a workout lately.

I have to say that the plow is much more fuel efficient than using the blower I had in years past. Quicker too.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I have to say that the plow is much more fuel efficient than using the blower I had in years past. Quicker too.
I will agree that, at first blush, the plow is faster and more fuel efficient.

Now add some wind. The resulting drifts on the downwind side of the banks pushed up by the plow will rapidly change the time and efficiency equations.

In the long run, where there is any meaningful accumulation of snow and limited space in which it can be piled, snow blowing quickly becomes the faster and more efficient means of dealing with snow.

Note that on this forum I have only made posts about snowbanks in the context of me having to remove them in order to free a plow truck stuck up against the massive snowbank he had just created, or using the snow blower to remove the massive snowbanks piled up at the end of driveways, courtesy of the township grader doing its work clearing our road. Plows make snowbanks. Snowblowers remove snowbanks. :D

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I just went out and cleaned up what the fierce wind deposited again. I had some pretty high snow banks (6 feet high) and all I did was push them back obliquely with the plow up in the air. If they are real bad, I can tilt the blade back and use it as a huge snow scoop.

I'm finding that is I plow at around 15 mph, the moldboard on the plow will toss the snow quite far.

I used to use an 84" Lucknow twin auger and it took me at least 2 times as long to do the road and my drives and the on thing I never liked about the blower was it tossed gravel as well as snow and I live on a gravel road and have gravel drives. One time I tossed a paving brick that was in the snow. I heard it go through but never seen it afterwards.

I may at some point buy another blower. Blower on the back, blade in the front would be a wicked combo. Least I don't have to look over my shoulder with anything on the back. I have 3 cams, one in the center and one on each side looking back. I use them more when haying to watch the discbine because it cuts to the right side of the tractors.

Just priced out a new air ride seat base and swivel from K&M manufacturing. I need to replace my stock Grammer air ride seat base and I'll add a swivel too. The bushings are shot in my OEM seat base, time for a new one.

I will say the blower was a bit easier to get around with. That 10 foot wide plow is a bear in a tight spot.