Compact Running Gear

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Ive been looking for one for awhile... Not wanting to shell out the $1100 Kory wants for their compact gear with no bed, I was set to take a 3 hours drive south to pick up an EZTrail 246 for $695. 2 ton gear, 46" wide at the wheels.

Then the Craigslist Gods shined down on me and I found this just an hour north of me... Paid $650 and put $150 into it for the new bed.

Its basically their 260 model, 2 ton, 60" wide at the wheels. Guy says he used it once, and its been sitting in his barn for 7 years. Tires still have the nubs and the oak hay rack was in very good condition.

So the kids and I took the hay rack apart and denailed all the wood.....

And that's what we ended up with. I extended the reach to its limit which was only 1 more hole on either end....

I wanted to reuse as much of the oak as I could, but there just wasn't enough substantial wood to make a solid yard wagon that could carry any sort of load. So 2 4x6x10' to make up the length of the bed and 5 4x4x6 for cross members and 2x6 for the deck.

I did repurpose some of the oak decking for the side boards and took the better of the 2x7x12 that made up the original runner and cut and ripped that down into 16 1.5x3" stakes and then tapered the ends to fit the bolt on stake pockets. Corner hardware and replaced the pin hitch with a 2" ball coupler....

Last edited:

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Here's all the wood after getting the nails out. You can see the 2x7 had quite the bow....... And that was the better of the two and the one I used to make all the stakes.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Great looking project Eipo. Looks really good. Should serve you really well.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
eipo - really like this project! You will too, I'm sure.

For years, been trying to figure out a "better" trailer for my tractor. Still have the larger garden cart. It doesn't cut it many times, and is junky/flimsy.

Have looked at some of the small running gears a few times.

Job well done!

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Thanks.. Ive been looking for over a year for a used one and finally decided to bite the bullet and just buy new. I was literally only about 2 days from hitting the road to go pick up a new one in Indiana.

Ive been using a 5x10 utility trailer as my yard wagon.. It works, but its woefully inconvenient in relation to a 4 wheel wagon.

Hoping to put it to use this weekend starting the splitting phase of firewood processing... But its supposed to be cold... first chance this year of negative digits.