HST foaming?

jonmad

Equipment
BX2380
Jun 7, 2018
Lebanon
I changed my hst fluid at my dealers suggestion and noticed if I check the fluid right after use there is some foam on the dip stick. It’s a BX2380 with 40 hours on the clock. If I wait a while and look in the fill hole the foam is gone but didn’t know if it was normal to have any foaming.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes it's normal to foam a little.

And a low fluid level will make them foam more than usual, I think that was dlundblad point. ;)

What fluid did you use?

jonmad

Equipment
BX2380
Jun 7, 2018
Lebanon
Yes it's normal to foam a little.

And a low fluid level will make them foam more than usual, I think that was dlundblad point. ;)

What fluid did you use?
Put almost 3 gallon of Mystic JT5 in. Right to the top mark. My dealer recommends the Mystic line made by Citgo. Everything runs fine I just didn’t know if some foaming was normal. Thanks for the replies.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Put almost 3 gallon of Mystic JT5 in. Right to the top mark. My dealer recommends the Mystic line made by Citgo. Everything runs fine I just didn***8217;t know if some foaming was normal. Thanks for the replies.
Yea I use Mystik JT 5 in everything i have, I have had zero hydraulic fluid issues and I've been using it for years.

One thing to check would be your transmission vent (under or around the seat) and make sure it open so it will vent out moisture. ;)

jonmad

Equipment
BX2380
Jun 7, 2018
Lebanon
Yea I use Mystik JT 5 in everything i have, I have had zero hydraulic fluid issues and I've been using it for years.

One thing to check would be your transmission vent (under or around the seat) and make sure it open so it will vent out moisture. ;)
Thanks. I’ll look for the vent. Tractor is new with 40 hours so all should be good. Just never noticed the foaming before but I probably never checked it right after running it before.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Interesting in that I use Chevron THF synthetic in both mine (and have for years) and the cost per 5 gallon pail is about the same ($99.95 per pail at O'Riely's). I pay about 80 and change per pail from my jobber (Schrader Oil) which is somewhat less for synthetic versus the JT5 which I presume is mineral oil. Is that a correct assumption?

Thought the price comparison was interesting. Didn't look at the price comparison with Amsoil but I would presume that Amsoil is even more per 5 gallons.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I changed my hst fluid at my dealers suggestion ... It’s a BX2380 with 40 hours on the clock.
Just curious why they had you change it @ 40 hrs vs the factory recommended 50 hrs?

jonmad

Equipment
BX2380
Jun 7, 2018
Lebanon
Just curious why they had you change it @ 40 hrs vs the factory recommended 50 hrs?
It was my choice to do it at 40. Convient for me. He said he recommends anywhere between 30 and 50 hours to go ahead and do the 50 hour service. He also told me the factory puts 5W break in oil in except HST I suppose. I know the engine and front axle were very thin oil when I drained them. He sold me 80W 90W for the front axle and 15W 40W synthetic blend for engine.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
It seems strange that a Kubota dealer would recommend using Non-Kubota oil in such a new tractor. I find it hard to believe that any Kubota dealer would recommend anything but Kubota oil in any low hour tractor, especially one that is still under warranty.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
It was my choice to do it at 40. Convient for me. He said he recommends anywhere between 30 and 50 hours to go ahead and do the 50 hour service. He also told me the factory puts 5W break in oil in except HST I suppose. I know the engine and front axle were very thin oil when I drained them. He sold me 80W 90W for the front axle and 15W 40W synthetic blend for engine.
Kubota factory fills the new BX's with SUDT2 for the hydro & front axle.

How did your strainer look? Mine was super clean, just a couple tiny specks of RTV.

jonmad

Equipment
BX2380
Jun 7, 2018
Lebanon
Kubota factory fills the new BX's with SUDT2 for the hydro & front axle.

How did your strainer look? Mine was super clean, just a couple tiny specks of RTV.
Strainer looked great. Just a couple flecks near the machined end.

jonmad

Equipment
BX2380
Jun 7, 2018
Lebanon
It seems strange that a Kubota dealer would recommend using Non-Kubota oil in such a new tractor. I find it hard to believe that any Kubota dealer would recommend anything but Kubota oil in any low hour tractor, especially one that is still under warranty.
Don’t know what to tell you but he’s been in the tractor business for most of his life and Mystic is what he recomends. He’s the one I will deal with if I have any warranty issues so that’s what I used. Glad to see Wolfman uses Mystic for years as well with no issues. I guess as long as it’s rated for service all is well. Many have there own favorites.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
First thing I did to both of my units was drain the front axle housings and outboards and refill them with 85/90 GL5 Spirax. For me, I feel the shock load qualitis of 85-90 Hypoid oil exceed the shock load qualities of SUDT or in my case UDT which was all that was available back then.