I should bloody well know better

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
That's one reason I have had a cap on every pickup I have owned. With darkly tinted glass you can't see what's inside, and a locking rear window and tailgate will deter all but the most determined thieves.
I admit that depending on what you haul in your truck, a cap might not be the best choice, but in all the time I have had them on my trucks, I only twice had cargo I couldn't get inside it. One was an upright air compressor, the other time, it was a safe, so those times I just used my utility trailer.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Everyone hates thieves, scumbags and other such characters, but I have to point a finger at Skeets.

You're the safety marshal on all matters and you violated measures required to maintain possession of your belongings. Your influence is fading! I'm going out to wack on my ROPS, go down some steep grades and hope the tractor doesn't roll over!! Same thing isn't it? :D:D

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
When we frequented the Buttercup Sand Dunes in CA, scum from both sides of the border would steal anything that wasn't bolted down, and some things that were, usually at night. Our toy haulers all had a fueling station, and we parked our rigs in a circle, with the fueling station on the outside of the circle. During the day, we filled various vehicles & cans, always managing to forget one fuel can outside the ring, near the fuel station. Without exception, it was gone the next morning. Only problem was that that can was always one of those you always see on the side of the highway, filled with 50% gas, and 50% acetone, MEK, trichoroethylene, lacquer thinner, water, lapping compound, etc.
We actually had one POS come back and complain the fuel he stole from us had destroyed his quad. We filmed his complaint & called the cops, and he tried to leave. We, uh, restrained him until the cops got there and arrested him. (he resisted, and got a second beating:D)
I always slept with a big smile on my face when those cans were stolen.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yes your right ,,,sniff sniff,,, hanging my head in shame,,,, like I said I should know better,,, I will go quietly now and sit in the corner :rolleyes:

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I have a Bak-Flip G3 folding cover on my Toondruh and a locking tailgate.

Theft isn't TOO big a problem around here (rural, many-many armed rednecks not afraid to take things into their own hands, myself included) but why take the chance?

It's a PITA when it gets iced up, but I'd rather deal with that than a bed full of ice and the lockable storage is priceless.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
'Cat - saw that on Weather Channel - too funny!

Wonder what the rocket scientist was thinking when his truck went CRRRRUNCH?!?!? :eek:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You must live in a high crime area....lol

I can leave anything in the truck bed and not worry. Could be that NRA sticker on the back window or the bumper sticker that says I'm armed and dangerous... (and I am 99% of the time). Armed that is.
As a former LEO the last thing I'd do is have ANY indication on my vehicle that I might be armed...or might be in sympathy with those that are.

During a traffic stop that brings the caution-meter up on the scale. While your vehicle is parked outside a church, gov't bldg., courthouse, airport, etc.... it tells thieves what MIGHT be left-inside the vehicle.

It's not like a security-system-sign in your front yard...it doesn't deter anyone from anything. It's like open-carry: Makes you the First target. And I DAMN-SURE would not boast about it on the WWW.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
As a former LEO the last thing I'd do is have ANY indication on my vehicle that I might be armed...or might be in sympathy with those that are.

During a traffic stop that brings the caution-meter up on the scale. While your vehicle is parked outside a church, gov't bldg., courthouse, airport, etc.... it tells thieves what MIGHT be left-inside the vehicle.

It's not like a security-system-sign in your front yard...it doesn't deter anyone from anything. It's like open-carry: Makes you the First target. And I DAMN-SURE would not boast about it on the WWW.
I couldn't agree with you more. Well said GeoHorn.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
yeppers if I had any of those evil things I wouldnt want anybody to know it either