Buying Trailer Ramps

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
The axles look a bit more forward than normal as well. It would be a good idea to block the back of the trailer when loading it to capacity so as not to lift the ass end of the tow vehicle off of the ground.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Well, this may turn out to be a lesson learned, hope it's not an expensive one. I live on an active military installation so cant store the trailer at my house, took me a couple days to get to where its stored and double check how many lugs the wheels have.

It has a 2" ball
2 axles
Brakes on one axle
16' long
5 lug wheels

I did look at the axles before I bought it but underside has all been repainted also and I couldn't find any weight rating plates or inscriptions. When I asked the owner what the trailer was rated to haul he said 8,000lbs. Now I'm wondering if he gave me the top end of state registration range.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Most likely a 7,000 GVW.
5K tractor plus the weight of the trailer itself is going to put you right at the limit of what that trailer will handle.
I would not pull a 5k tractor with that trailer if it was me.
If you do make sure you have really good tires.

Sorry the seller lied to you.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
The axles look a bit more forward than normal as well. It would be a good idea to block the back of the trailer when loading it to capacity so as not to lift the ass end of the tow vehicle off of the ground.
Looks like it to me as well. Probably will pull like shit with 5k on it.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
If you must tow with this trailer, invest in a load stabilization system ( EZ lift) which will actually give you that 7K tow rating. Get a 1 1/4 inch shank tow ball, and load range E tires. It will feel twice as good as it is now. ( it will really be twice as good as what you have now)

Last edited:

murph1068

Equipment
bx25d
Sep 6, 2016
Willowgrove PA
Just my experience, I had a cheap set of ramps because I didn't want to spend the money on good quality ramps. I almost lost the machine 3/4 up those cheap ramps one day I was loading it when one broke. Not only did I buy good ramps I bought bottle jacks to weld on the rear of the trailer to keep it from lifting while driving up the new quality ramps. Best thing I ever did you won't regret it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you must tow with this trailer, invest in a load stabilization system ( EZ lift) which will actually give you that 7K tow rating. Get a 1 1/4 inch shank tow ball, and load range E tires. It will feel twice as good as it is now. ( it will really be twice as good as what you have now)
I think all 5 hole wheels are 15", and finding a 10 ply 15......nope!

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I think all 5 hole wheels are 15", and finding a 10 ply 15......nope!
I have a similar trailer with 5 lug pattern. I picked up a set of 16” wheels with 225/75/16’s load range E and it’s great for hauling lumber ( and a small Kubota)

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
There is nothing you can do to this trailer to make it safely haul 7k.
The axles are rated at 3.5k each.
7k total.
Depending on the weight of the trailer itself it could haul probably between 5k-5.5k.
The only way you are going to haul 7k is if the trailer weighs 0 pounds.

Also with the axles as far forward as the are I would not want to max that trailer out with a 5k tractor especially since it is not long enough to move the tractor far enough to back distribute the weight properly.

Grodrianst

Equipment
L3430 with FEL and belly mower
Nov 22, 2018
St. Louis area
Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I did finally find the weight rating plate on it, it had been painted over very heavily making it almost impossible to see. As suspected, 5000 lbs load limit. I think the issue with the axles being forward is an optical illusion in the picture. When I look at it in comparison with other trailers they do not appear forward at all. Nonetheless, I'm going to finish re-wiring it and put it up for sale. If it doesn't sell before spring when we want to get it up to MI I'll transport the FEL and MMM separately to reduce the weight below the limit. Now, still need to find ramps for it...lol

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I did finally find the weight rating plate on it, it had been painted over very heavily making it almost impossible to see. As suspected, 5000 lbs load limit. I think the issue with the axles being forward is an optical illusion in the picture. When I look at it in comparison with other trailers they do not appear forward at all. Nonetheless, I'm going to finish re-wiring it and put it up for sale. If it doesn't sell before spring when we want to get it up to MI I'll transport the FEL and MMM separately to reduce the weight below the limit. Now, still need to find ramps for it...lol

The axles are farther forward on that trailer than a car hauler or equipment trailer.
They are in the correct position for a SOME utility trailers.

This is not my video but explains everything.

Part 1
https://youtu.be/-bxsW6ZO1vw

Part 2
https://youtu.be/qUCC_zqa-Qw

Notice how far back the axles are on the equipment trailers in the video?

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
I got ramps from “discount ramps”. They make a bolt on lip that makes connecting the ramp to the trailer easy and solid. Here is the site. I can take some photos tomorrow when it gets light.:)
https://www.discountramps.com

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
The axles are farther forward on that trailer than a car hauler or equipment trailer.
They are in the correct position for a SOME utility trailers.

This is not my video but explains everything.

Part 1
https://youtu.be/-bxsW6ZO1vw

Part 2
https://youtu.be/qUCC_zqa-Qw

Notice how far back the axles are on the equipment trailers in the video?
It's about what you'd want for a lawn mowing service. A couple of zero turns and some fuel cans.

les.smith99

Equipment
B7800
Jul 27, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Aside from the weight issue is proper (legal and safe) tie down. There is a guy on the internet Asktractormike.com. He put out some great video’s on tractors, just about all aspects of them. There are some dealing with tractors and trailers, he covers how to be safe and legal. Highly recommend that you view them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk