Buying Trailer Ramps

Grodrianst

Equipment
L3430 with FEL and belly mower
Nov 22, 2018
St. Louis area
Hi all. Bought a trailer a couple weeks ago, working on re-wiring it now. Have a L3430 FEL and MMM. Any suggestions on where and what ramps to buy ramps for it would be appreciated. Pic of the back of the trailer below.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Should be able to pick up some at harbour freight or even amazon if you find some rated for that much weight.

Grodrianst

Equipment
Nov 22, 2018
St. Louis area
Only had the tractor a couple months, dealer said it probably weighs around 5,500 lbs. WWF in the rears. So I'm thinking each ramp should be rated for half that, am I right? I didnt see anything at Harbor Freight rated for that much when I looked a couple weeks ago, but I may have missed it.

Grodrianst

Equipment
Nov 22, 2018
St. Louis area
Yep, it seemed that everything I was finding was expensive, especially since I only paid $1k for the trailer, really didnt want to pay half that in ramps...

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Is there a local welding or fabrication shop nearby? ( or do you have a welder?) a couple sticks of 2” angle iron, it would be real easy to make a couple ramps that would be more than heavy enough. By the looks of your trailer, it had a built in drop down ramp. That’s what the pieces of tubing welded to the rear appear to be

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Only had the tractor a couple months, dealer said it probably weighs around 5,500 lbs. WWF in the rears. So I'm thinking each ramp should be rated for half that, am I right? I didnt see anything at Harbor Freight rated for that much when I looked a couple weeks ago, but I may have missed it.

They do'n't. I have a set of the aluminum ones for loading my quad. None are even close to the capacity yon need. I'd suggest visiting a competent weld shop and having them fabricate you a set and have them hinge on the rear frame of the trailer so all you have to do is fold them down. How I have mu gooseneck set up. Nothing worse than muscling a set of heavy ramps around.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
You've got "belly mower" listed on your member id. That will lessen your clearance so make sure your ramps are long enough to make the entrance angle shallow enough to clear the mower. Without the mower, much shorter ramps would be fine.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Looks like you purchased utility trailer instead of an equipment trailer or car hauler.
Is that trailer capable of hauling the weight of your tractor?

It looks you have the wrong trailer for what you need.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Few question if I may.

What size ball does it take?
How many axles?
Size of tires?
How many lugs on the rims?
Do you know the weight rating of the axles?
What is the length of the trailer?

All of these questions add up to if the trailer will safely handle the load.

I ask all the questions, because I have a similar trailer and the pins for the drop ramp are twice the size as what your pins are, this leads me to believe that it's much to light, to be hauling a 5k tractor on it safely. ;)

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Few question if I may.

What size ball does it take?
How many axles?
Size of tires?
How many lugs on the rims?
Do you know the weight rating of the axles?
What is the length of the trailer?

All of these questions add up to if the trailer will safely handle the load.

I ask all the questions, because I have a similar trailer and the pins for the drop ramp are twice the size as what your pins are, this leads me to believe that it's much to light, to be hauling a 5k tractor on it safely. ;)
My concerns as well.
Just by the look of the back end I wandered if it was capable of hauling 5k.
If it is it probably ridding the limit of what the trailer can handle.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Be sure to get/make ramps that have a foot at the high end so the weight of your tractor does not pick up the rear of your PU when loading.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Be sure to get/make ramps that have a foot at the high end so the weight of your tractor does not pick up the rear of your PU when loading.
I know that story well. Loaded my buddies 15,000 pound capacity all terrain Hyster on my gooseneck. The ramps weren't an issue but when he backed up on the beavertail, my 350 ford was getting real light under the back tires...

Ended up stuffing wood blocks under the back of the beavertail to keep the rear of the truck on the ground.

I don't think that trailer has the capacity to haul a 5K tractor either but then crazier things have been done before.

I'm always of the philosophy that you can haul anything with anything but stopping can become a big issue and on the road, assured clear distance is every thing.

No worse feeling than standing on the brake pedal, mashing it through the firewall and knowing you are gonna cream the little old lady in front of you and she's gonna clean your finances out when she sues you.

That will be the longest 5 seconds in your life.

I put my truck camper on a single axle boat trailer when I put it in the garage and it flattens the springs right out, but it only gets backed in the garage so I'm guilty of it as well.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Looks like you purchased utility trailer instead of an equipment trailer or car hauler.
Is that trailer capable of hauling the weight of your tractor?

It looks you have the wrong trailer for what you need.
That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the picture of the rear of the trailer. It looks like it's only made of 2 X 2 structural angle and some C channel. I certainly wouldn't want to run a nearly 6,000 lb tractor up onto it.

Grodrianst

Equipment
Nov 22, 2018
St. Louis area
Well, this may turn out to be a lesson learned, hope it's not an expensive one. I live on an active military installation so cant store the trailer at my house, took me a couple days to get to where its stored and double check how many lugs the wheels have.

It has a 2" ball
2 axles
Brakes on one axle
16' long
5 lug wheels

I did look at the axles before I bought it but underside has all been repainted also and I couldn't find any weight rating plates or inscriptions. When I asked the owner what the trailer was rated to haul he said 8,000lbs. Now I'm wondering if he gave me the top end of state registration range.

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Best way to determine capacity of the trailer without any placards is to measure the diameter of the axle itself.

Typical Axle Diameters Based on Axle Capacity

- 1,000-lb - 2,000-lb Axles: 1-1/2 inch - 1-3/4 inch diameter
- 3,500-lb Axles: 2-3/8 inch diameter
- 6,000-lb - 7,200-lb Axles: 3 inch diameter
- 8,000-lb Axles: 3-1/2 inch diameter
- 9,000-lb Axles: 4 inch diameter
- 10,000-lb Or more axles: 5 inch diameter

For example, if you have two 2-3/8” axles, you have a trailer that has a GVWR of 7K. Weigh the empty trailer so you can subtract from the GVWR and there’s the max you can load it with. That is, if the trailer’s construction is sufficient for the load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That was my worry, That's a very light weight trailer.
2" ball, lightweight build, and small light duty axles and tires ( and change the tires as they are cheap car tires on it now) are all giveaways.

I'll take a guess that you can safely haul around about 5K if you put some good rubber on it. ;)

Last edited: