Float Detent Valve for Top Cylinder

Jimbabwe

Nov 14, 2018
Plymouth, CA
My Kubota Top-and-Tilt kit was installed on my new L3901DT by the dealer.

Pushing forward on the top cylinder valve lever raises the back wheel of the mower (shortens the top cylinder)

Pushing FURTHER forward goes into FLOAT, DROPPING the back wheel of the mower (depressurizes and lengthens the top cylinder)

Pulling back on the top cylinder valve lever LOWERS the back wheel of the mower (lengthens the top cylinder)

Both the front end loader and the 3-point hitch levers LOWER the implement when pushed forward and go into FLOAT when pushed ALL THE WAY FORWARD.

It seems that the top cylinder valve is working in reverse. So, I had the dealer swap the hoses, up becoming down and down becoming up.

Now, I am told that partially pulling BACK on the lever causes the back wheel of the mower to drop, FULLY pulling back on the lever causes the back wheel of the mower to rise, partially pushing forward causes the back wheel to lower, and fully pushing forward goes into float.

I am told that the valve will only work in one manner: shortening the top cylinder (lifting back wheel of mower) by pushing forward partially, lengthening the top cylinder (lowering back wheel of mower) by pulling backward partially, and float by pushing forward (after passing through LIFTING) all the way.

In other words, FLOAT right next to LIFT.

This baffles me. Is this true? I was told it's because of the way the spools are in the valve.

jimr63

Equipment
M5-091HDC, L47TLB, L4701F, ZD1211-72, GR2120-54, RTV-X1140
Jun 24, 2015
SOMD
Sounds right that it only floats on the one side of the selector valve, which is usually in the lever's fully forward position. You can make the actuator travel in any direction you want by swapping the hoses around at the QD's.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So your basic complaint is that the direction of the lever to go into float, does not match what you, right.

And yes sorry there is no way to change that, the direction you pull the lever to go into float can't be easily changed.

Now for the reason, its the orientation of the spool valve, it's reverse of the loader valve. In other words the detent section that controls the float portion is facing forward or down on the FEL spool and rearward on the remote spool.

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
The dealer says that swapping the hoses makes it work completely incorrectly, as written in my original post.
That doesn't make any sense. Swapping the cylinder hoses should reverse the direction but have no effect on the valve.
Is it possible that the dealer swapped the hoses going into the valve instead of the cylinder hoses??

Jimbabwe

Nov 14, 2018
Plymouth, CA
Anything is possible with this dealer. I'm told that I am the first one ever at this dealer (in business since the 1950s) to have 3 remotes, all Float Detent, with a top-and-tilt.

I'm fine with FLOAT being all the way forward. What is NOT fine is that pushing forward RAISES the back wheel of the mower, which then DROPS when FLOAT is reached.

One would think that swapping the hoses to the cylinder would make the back wheel RAISE when PULLING BACK and LOWER when PUSHING FORWARD.

One would think... but the dealer says this isn't the way it works.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm fine with FLOAT being all the way forward. What is NOT fine is that pushing forward RAISES the back wheel of the mower, which then DROPS when FLOAT is reached.

One would think that swapping the hoses to the cylinder would make the back wheel RAISE when PULLING BACK and LOWER when PUSHING FORWARD.

One would think... but the dealer says this isn't the way it works.

Yes that is the way it works, period, reverse the flow and the cylinder reverses, simple as that, it's not voodoo!
The exception would be if the top cylinder or side cylinders have flow control valves then those would have to be swapped too.

Last edited:

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
My Kubota Top-and-Tilt kit was installed on my new L3901DT by the dealer.

Pushing forward on the top cylinder valve lever raises the back wheel of the mower (shortens the top cylinder)

Pushing FURTHER forward goes into FLOAT, DROPPING the back wheel of the mower (depressurizes and lengthens the top cylinder)

Pulling back on the top cylinder valve lever LOWERS the back wheel of the mower (lengthens the top cylinder)

Both the front end loader and the 3-point hitch levers LOWER the implement when pushed forward and go into FLOAT when pushed ALL THE WAY FORWARD.

It seems that the top cylinder valve is working in reverse. So, I had the dealer swap the hoses, up becoming down and down becoming up.

Now, I am told that partially pulling BACK on the lever causes the back wheel of the mower to drop, FULLY pulling back on the lever causes the back wheel of the mower to rise, partially pushing forward causes the back wheel to lower, and fully pushing forward goes into float.

I am told that the valve will only work in one manner: shortening the top cylinder (lifting back wheel of mower) by pushing forward partially, lengthening the top cylinder (lowering back wheel of mower) by pulling backward partially, and float by pushing forward (after passing through LIFTING) all the way.

In other words, FLOAT right next to LIFT.

This baffles me. Is this true? I was told it's because of the way the spools are in the valve.
Did you ever get the actual couplers changed so that ALL the female ends are on the tractor and ALL the male ends are on the hoses? :confused:

Jimbabwe

Nov 14, 2018
Plymouth, CA
According to the dealer, the float detent valve is not symmetrical like a spring center detent valve (disregarding the float portion.)

Assuming the tilt cylinder is fully retracted (back wheel of mower UP) IF the hoses from the valve to the cylinder have been reversed, pushing the lever slightly forward will slowly lower the back wheel of mower (good.)

However, pushing the lever slightly back will cause the back wheel of mower to drop completely and quickly to the ground (bad).

Pushing the lever FULLY BACK will LIFT the back wheel of the mower.

Anyone ever heard of this? The spool in the valve, in addition to having a float position, is NON-SYMMETRICAL?

Jimbabwe

Nov 14, 2018
Plymouth, CA
Did you ever get the actual couplers changed so that ALL the female ends are on the tractor and ALL the male ends are on the hoses? :confused:
I just insisted on this. I am being told that it's typical in the smaller tractors to have pairs of male-female for each implement.

I have reviewed the 3-Valve Stack Kit installation manual and the Top N Tilt Kit installation manual. Each has numerous contradictions with what sex couplers go where, depending on whether you look at a photo, a diagram or the text!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Post a picture of your top cylinder if you would.

Does the side cylinder react the same way?

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
I just insisted on this. I am being told that it's typical in the smaller tractors to have pairs of male-female for each implement.

I have reviewed the 3-Valve Stack Kit installation manual and the Top N Tilt Kit installation manual. Each has numerous contradictions with what sex couplers go where, depending on whether you look at a photo, a diagram or the text!
Again, your dealer is an idiot. Every single Kubota starting with the BX, B, L other than yours, Grand L, MX, M series tractors all have the female couplers on the tractor for the rear remotes. Why would Kubota say to have it any other way? And honestly, even if for some unknow reason they have mixed installation instructions, there simply is no good reason not to switch them around and easily get rid of your issues.

Since your dealer refuses to do this, why don't you? It might take all of 45 minutes and ALL of these problems that you are having will go away by simply switching hoses around. You would no longer have the problem of this hose won't plug into this outlet.

If for some unknown reasoning you insist on having the male-female sets on the tractor, simple switch the male female couplers around on the hoses them selves.

Simplify things, you are making this FAR more difficult than it is.

I understand that it might be the principle of the thing, but just take care of it yourself and get on with life. Why make things harder than they already are???? :confused:

Attachments

Jimbabwe

Nov 14, 2018
Plymouth, CA
I told the dealer to make all the couplings on the tractor female. I will be taking redelivery of the tractor tomorrow. Then I can switch hoses as I see fit.

The dealer's service tech told me he mixes the females and males so that customers don't mix up their hoses. Yeah.

All will be fine tomorrow.

Thanks for your advice, MtnViewRanch.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

I've never heard that about any tractor. Only on skid steers and third function connections.

SDT