Slug Guys

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
A little bit ago a friend of the family stopped over, and asked me if i would come out to her car. Ahhh ok what up? Her Dad passed away some time ago and cleaning out his place she came across an old Marlin Glenfield 22 , and an old Savage bolt action 3030 both need a lot of TLC, also and it looks new in the box was a Mossberg 500 with chokes and a rifled slug barrel. And an old gym bag full of ammo. So I asked what she wanted to do with them, she said you take them ( her brother is a doper and she was afraid of him getting them).
So I ask since I know nothing about slug guns is the Mossberg slug barrel able to really hit anything??

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I've never used a rifled slug barrel on my Mossberg, but rifled slugs shoot fine out of my smooth barrel quite consistently.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
A little bit ago a friend of the family stopped over, and asked me if i would come out to her car. Ahhh ok what up? Her Dad passed away some time ago and cleaning out his place she came across an old Marlin Glenfield 22 , and an old Savage bolt action 3030 both need a lot of TLC, also and it looks new in the box was a Mossberg 500 with chokes and a rifled slug barrel. And an old gym bag full of ammo. So I asked what she wanted to do with them, she said you take them ( her brother is a doper and she was afraid of him getting them).
So I ask since I know nothing about slug guns is the Mossberg slug barrel able to really hit anything??
wanna sell that Marlin 22?????:D:D:D:D

That slug barrel will drop a "deer" quick like and in a hurry! As you know, you would never use that barrel but ONLY for those slugs! ;)

I rifled slug barrel will work very well.

you musta been a hellva good friend!:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes a rifled slug barrel adds accuracy and range. ;)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Sigh.... how come this never happens to me?:(:eek::rolleyes::D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I almost would rather not have had it happen to me, cause if he finds out I have them, I know he will start something. Drugs make people do stupid things

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
How convenient- slugs are quite effective on drug people.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
How convenient- slugs are quite effective on drug people.
Exactly lol. My shotgun loaded with slugs for that reason. I really don’t worry much about that since I moved to where we are. Now if I could just catch the hogs tearing up my yard they will meet the slugs!

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
Up here the most common reason people carry a shot gun with slugs if for bears. They generally use Foster type slugs in the smooth bore barrels and sabot type slugs in the rifled barrels. That is usually what each type of barrel performs best with.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
So is 00 buckshot... Not like i would have ever have done that to those poor soles! :rolleyes: ;)

I always have an 870 12 gauge with smooth-bore slug barrel and 2 or 4-shot nearby in the house.

I won’t kill ‘em, but they’re gonna hear that action working, and 2’s or 4’s out of that barrel are going to spread quick and hit something they’ll remember, and probably make them reconsider their mission....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Not trying to take away from skeets but he brought up something I’ve been thinking about. I’ve inherited an Ithaca model 37 20 gauge,from what I can find is a mossberg trapper special 22,unknown age,and this double barrel muzzleloader that is unknown. It was my great grandfathers. Anybody out there have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
Skeets, lets see if this is right- 3 firearms some ammo and no paper trail. Might be handy some day.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Skeets, my brother has the exact setup the 500 and rifled slug barrel.

His will shoot a 3 inch group at 100 yards off the bench using a sled and sabot slugs.

Without the sled it is brutal on the shoulder but man it is bad out to 100 yds.

Many here could work for Remington, Federal etc... not me but we do love to shoot but only factory stuff no time to reload to many hobbies now.

It makes big holes, I believe the slugs are 500 grains been a while since we had it on the bench and he no longer hunts, the above mentioned was few years ago.

You got a good deal!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
CM thanks much, if Im shooting a 100 yards I need a scope,,lol
Fordtech that Mdl 37 is a great little gun if she is in good shape I have come across a ton of 12s but a 20, not so much just remember if you are going to shoot it,,,, DO NOT SHORT STROKE HER other wise you will have to take it apart to clear the jam and thats a PIA !

The Mossberg trapper is a nice little bolt gun not really worth much but a nice shooter just the same

The side by side,, wow thats a tuffy, back in the day every hardware store and chain like sears and montgomery wards, all had their own brand names. Most were made by the same companies just with store brand names. Before I did anything with it( like trying to shoot her) it would go to a good smith and have it checked over the locks nd a bore scope run down each barrel. Twist barrels would start to rust between the welds from the salt in the black powder if they were not cleaned after shooting. Maybe to be on the safe side, find a powder horn and a possible bag and hang it over the fireplace or on the wall in your man cave

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
CM thanks much, if Im shooting a 100 yards I need a scope,,lol
Fordtech that Mdl 37 is a great little gun if she is in good shape I have come across a ton of 12s but a 20, not so much just remember if you are going to shoot it,,,, DO NOT SHORT STROKE HER other wise you will have to take it apart to clear the jam and thats a PIA !

The Mossberg trapper is a nice little bolt gun not really worth much but a nice shooter just the same

The side by side,, wow thats a tuffy, back in the day every hardware store and chain like sears and montgomery wards, all had their own brand names. Most were made by the same companies just with store brand names. Before I did anything with it( like trying to shoot her) it would go to a good smith and have it checked over the locks nd a bore scope run down each barrel. Twist barrels would start to rust between the welds from the salt in the black powder if they were not cleaned after shooting. Maybe to be on the safe side, find a powder horn and a possible bag and hang it over the fireplace or on the wall in your man cave

Thanks skeets! The 37 is in great shape and I have shot a lot of trap with it. The 22 is in pretty decent shape for its age, my grandpa left it in his farm truck, but still shoots good. And the the side by side it is definately a wall hanger. I do have the powder horn with it along with some lead,powder and wads. Not intentions of shooting it though. Just curious as to what it might be and how old it is.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Only own one scatter gun. I have a box of rifled 12 gauge slugs somewhere but never have shot any.....

Attachments

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
At Frontsight we shot 60-70 slugs in 4 days with many at 50 yd smooth bore center of mass using Federal. My daughter weighs 120 lbs and shot slugs with the rest of the women in the class. Winter coats helped in the morning but recoil pads are kinda important when shooting 600 rounds in four days -or anytime. Plan accordingly. :)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Lets see Muzzle energy of a 437 grain slug is say 3100 foot pounds times 600 rounds will give us 1 million eight hundred sixty thousand foot pounds,,, 1,860,000 foot pounds,,,, well no damn wonder you need a recoil pad ;)