Do I have a hog problem?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Was out walking with the kids looking for deer tracks (they love looking for tracks) and came across what appears to be damage from wild hogs. What do y’all say?

The way the sun was I couldn’t get the best pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I should also say where that is is a part of my back yard so the ground was smooth

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
I wouldn’t call it a hog problem , I’d call it a blessing and you can fill your freezer with some great eating meat. I kill 5 or 6 hogs a year and they are more than tasty on the grill. Try to shoot the ones that are around 165 lbs to 200 lbs . The hogs I shoot at our ranch here in Ca spend their nights in the barley fields nothing like grain fed pork.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Nah, really big pigeons....[emoji3]
Kidding, of course.
We don't have them nearby, but I've heard/seen some horror stories about cropland damage.

Others have more experience, but my .22-250 has always wanted to shoot a bunch.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Nah, really big pigeons....[emoji3]
Kidding, of course.
We don't have them nearby, but I've heard/seen some horror stories about cropland damage.

Others have more experience, but my .22-250 has always wanted to shoot a bunch.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk
Bring some of that wing sauce you make and your rifle lol.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I wouldn’t call it a hog problem , I’d call it a blessing and you can fill your freezer with some great eating meat. I kill 5 or 6 hogs a year and they are more than tasty on the grill. Try to shoot the ones that are around 165 lbs to 200 lbs . The hogs I shoot at our ranch here in Ca spend their nights in the barley fields nothing like grain fed pork.
Ours are swamp fed hogs around here, have heard mixed things about eating them

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Bring some of that wing sauce you make and your rifle lol.
Wing sauce for hogs?!?!? Do Louisiana pigs fly?!?!?:confused:

One of my Grandmothers always said something about "when pigs fly" when she was pissed at my Grandfather....:p

We did have a bunch of wild hogs get loose from a hunting compound 50 miles west. Guy got a 300+ pounder during deer season...didn't see any wings on him either...:confused:

Fordtech - say the word, and I'll bring the sauce and the rifle! :cool:

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Wing sauce for hogs?!?!? Do Louisiana pigs fly?!?!?:confused:

One of my Grandmothers always said something about "when pigs fly" when she was pissed at my Grandfather....:p

We did have a bunch of wild hogs get loose from a hunting compound 50 miles west. Guy got a 300+ pounder during deer season...didn't see any wings on him either...:confused:

Fordtech - say the word, and I'll bring the sauce and the rifle! :cool:
Lol, wish these would fly away. I want the wing sauce cause while your out shooting pigs I’ll be eating chicken wings.

I’m not a hunter. I do have guns and just shoot for fun, never got into hunting. Don’t need another expensive hobby. I did go buy a couple cameras and put them out just now, need to see what time they are coming.

They were back last night and the damage has more then doubled, they are also moving closer to the house.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
You can call them Ham and Bacon..... Watched a show the other night that said in order to hold the hog population at a steady state in LA, you would need to harvest around 70% a year since they breed so fast. No hogs up by me, just coyotes.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
If you don't shoot, I'm sure someone locally will be happy to do so for you, and split the ham. Take care of them soon before they get out of control!

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I've talked to people who have said they have talked to land owners in the south west US who complain to the max about there hog problem. Saying come on out and shoot them.

Then in the same sentence say that will cost $100 a day.......

Anyone that says that, I can't have much sympathy for.
I'm sure not everyone is that way.

Is that an issue in many places ??

Yes, I'm going to guess. A crop and acorn fed hog will likely taste much different than a swamp hog.

From experience, I know sausage made from the whole hog, to me, is much better than trimmings sausage. That may be an option for feral animals.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I've talked to people who have said they have talked to land owners in the south west US who complain to the max about there hog problem. Saying come on out and shoot them.

Then in the same sentence say that will cost $100 a day.......

Anyone that says that, I can't have much sympathy for.
I'm sure not everyone is that way.

Is that an issue in many places ??

Yes, I'm going to guess. A crop and acorn fed hog will likely taste much different than a swamp hog.

From experience, I know sausage made from the whole hog, to me, is much better than trimmings sausage. That may be an option for feral animals.
I was poking fun with rcw. I wouldn’t charge anybody to come hunt but it’s not going to happen. I am in the process of getting my trap built to catch my hogs. At this time I can’t night hunt them until deer season closes at the end of the month. I need them gone before them because of the damage they are doing. I am not a hunter but do have the means to take care of a nuisance

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
"Yes, I'm going to guess. A crop and acorn fed hog will likely taste much different than a swamp hog. "

You betcha it does. Any game animal's meat will be flavored with what they graze on. Case in point, I've shot antelope in New Mexico that weren't fit for dog food. Mule Deer too. Reason is, they graze on sagebrush and sagebrush is nasty but if that's all there is, they eat it.

I shot a Mule Deer in Montana 2 years ago he's mounted and hanging on the wall) and his meat was the best deer meat I've ever eaten, bar none, whitetail or any local deer here. Reason why is, he primarily grazed on alfalfa hay, the ranch I hunted on, the owner raised alfalfa hay as feedstock for himself and other local ranchers. You could cut it with a fork it was that tender and this was a mule deer buck in the rut. I shot him as he just got done freshining a doe. Let him have his fun and shot him. I like to be fair about things....lol

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

And here they are

You need to borrow my Remington 700 ADL in 22-250 with the ATN day-night vision scope on it. The scope is Wi-Fi so everyone can watch the action as it unfolds.

The term 'pigs in a barrel' comes right to mind.....

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
You need to borrow my Remington 700 ADL in 22-250 with the ATN day-night vision scope on it. The scope is Wi-Fi so everyone can watch the action as it unfolds.

The term 'pigs in a barrel' comes right to mind.....
Hope to have pigs in a barrel this weekend. Been so busy at work and took a trip to New Orleans today to take my son to a dr. Hope to fight the rain this weekend to get the trap done

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Just be careful with them (if alive). Those cutters are wicked. Been invited (but have not responded yet) on a Florida helicopter hog hunt with automatic rifles. Sounds like fun in an odd way. One of the guys I hunt with, his brother puts on the hunts. Never shot a wild hog but I'd give it a shot (pun intended).