Brush Guard Ideas

Tex66

Equipment
M5-111, M4800, RTV900, ZG227,Allis Chalmers Grader, J.D. 300B Backhoe/,Loader
Oct 30, 2018
Tyler, TX
I'm new to the forum, looking for ideas on brush guards for my M5-111. I just punched a $500 hole in the grill of my 6 month-old tractor, before realizing how completely worthless the OEM grill guard is. I traded in my old M9540 after years of use, without any grill damage. Seems it was a little better protected up front even with its factory grill guard. Got some really good ideas from some old threads here. There are lots of talented fabricators on this forum. Don't know why there isn't someone marketing a selection of aftermarket brush guards. There seems to be a healthy demand for them, given the lack of protection offered by the factory part.

JR4AL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800
Sep 7, 2014
Jackson, AL, USA
I got the idea from a member on OTT; tlefire. I got a fabricator to build the guard for me. It has saved me several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ron L4760

Apr 16, 2017
Johnson City TX
For sure. Looks great. I’d buy one from the guy if he’s in the mood to make another. It would need to fit a 2014 L4760.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tex66

Equipment
M5-111, M4800, RTV900, ZG227,Allis Chalmers Grader, J.D. 300B Backhoe/,Loader
Oct 30, 2018
Tyler, TX
That's some really nice work. Why doesn't Kubota offer something like that as an add-on option? I'd gladly pay more for better protection. The same with cab mats. I wanted a custom-fit cab mat to make it easier to clean the mud and crud out of the cab occasionally. Something I could pull out and hose off, if needed. Found a few for other makes, but not Kubota. I had to cut one to fit from a rubber cargo liner mat.

JR4AL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800
Sep 7, 2014
Jackson, AL, USA
I will ask him. He will need the grill off the tractor so he can do it in his shop.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Looks really good, brother made one for my 5740, not fancy, but works well. Going to put one on our 8540 if he ever gets caught up.

Attachments

JR4AL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800
Sep 7, 2014
Jackson, AL, USA
How do you fold your guard forward to open your hood?
By the way.. That looks awesome

I just pull the pin as normal and the guard tilts forward. If you look very close at the expanded metal in the photo you can see that it is actually two pieces. When I tilt the guard forward to access the hood the fold of the expanded metal just bypasses the cut of the other piece of expanded metal that is welded to the lower part of the guard. I am sure I am not explaining that the best...I will try and take a pic of it tilted forward to show you.

tor

Jun 25, 2009
SC
I just pull the pin as normal and the guard tilts forward. If you look very close at the expanded metal in the photo you can see that it is actually two pieces. When I tilt the guard forward to access the hood the fold of the expanded metal just bypasses the cut of the other piece of expanded metal that is welded to the lower part of the guard. I am sure I am not explaining that the best...I will try and take a pic of it tilted forward to show you.

I need to fab something similar for my MX5200...

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I've been working on ideas for a custom brush guard for my BX2230, I so I used Tinkercad to design a scaled down one to see how it would look. So, this is what I came up with. I will talk to a local fabrication shop to see what it would cost to make it out of 1 1/2" steel tubing. I can have another local laser shop make the Kubota logo panel, then weld it in.
I'll make a mount that the bottom tubing will slide into and be secured with clevis pins. That will make it easy to remove when I remove the cowling to change oil.

Attachments

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
That is a beautiful piece of work. Would like to have one for my MX. Only addition/correction would be an opening above the plate on the bottom as that is where I thread my chain thu when I put it on the trailer, which is often.

My MX is about a year and a half old, 140 hrs and already I have two holes in the grill from sticks poking their way into it.

Again, nice piece of work.

M

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
That's really nice, however since you're in the fabrication mode why not add some expanded metal to keep smaller branches off the tractor?

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
That's really nice, however since you're in the fabrication mode why not add some expanded metal to keep smaller branches off the tractor?
How is this?

I changed the perimeter tubing to a more realistic 1.5", and the cross tubes to 1".

Attachments

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I had a local Amish machine shop bend the tubing for the brush guard, I think it looks pretty good. I'm working on getting the Kubota logo cut in the plate for it at a laser shop. Once I get that, I can get it welded up and painted. Should look pretty good.

Attachments

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Had a stick puncture my black mesh in the hood assembly on my '18 B2650, so I whipped this out one afternoon.

Wife painted up the initials of our start-up business for me to attach to the guard :)

If there's any reason at all to play with the electric glue gun, I'M ALWAYS "IN"!

Attachments