Skids for FEL bucket for snow removal

jgregory2010

Equipment
B2301
Mar 14, 2018
Granville, OH
I was thinking about buying Edge Tamers for the bucket of my FEL for snow removal. The only thing I don't like is that they extend past the edge of the bucket and i want to be able to roll the bucket down to pull snow away from my garage and house. Has anyone made anything like this or have any ideas, specifically on mounting it to the bucket.

Stomper

Equipment
2017 L2501. Landpride Mower. Farm King Snow Blower. DIY Root Bucket grapple.
Jun 30, 2017
Northern Canada
I went through this same thing last year. I checked out the edge tamers also but through some research some said that they leave a small amount of snow behind and over time that small amount adds up. Someone here gave me this great idea. I took a 1.5" pipe the same width as my bucket cutting edge and sliced it length wise with a zip cut and grinder, welded some tabs to it and slipped it over the cutting edge and bolted the tabs to the bucket. Works great and doesn't leave any snow behind. I have a gravel driveway so I start out the first few times back bladeing in the float position and once things freeze up I can go forward. Such a simple and cheap idea that works great. I had some pictures but can't seem to find them.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I bought a 2"x4"x48" strip of HD urethane and bolted it to the bottom of the bucket lip. Works fantastic for snow removal on my blacktop drive. I've also heard of folks using a thick piece of oak plank, and composite decking to accomplish the same thing.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I have some form of plastic as the cutting edge on my box scraper and on my front-mount snow blower. Don't know what it is as I bought the equipment used. Works a charm, leaves no marks on my paved driveway, and still does just fine on the gravel driveways that I clear. This stuff is about 1" thick and so far has proven quite durable.

quicktractor

Equipment
Kubota L2501
Jul 27, 2017
Flagstaff
I have used the edge tamers and they work great. I does leave a very small amount of snow as the blade rides above the gravel. I don't think the 1/4 inch of snow left behind is a big deal. I am sure the other options work well too. I went with what was easy and quick for me. The edge tamers were very easy to order and 5 minutes to bolt on.

K.P.

Equipment
B7300, LA272 FEL, B2650, 8160 Ballast, G2460G Mower, Danuser 20/40, Woods RB60
Aug 11, 2010
Cary, IL
If I was eve going to use my FEL for snow removal again, I'd install a Piranha Straight Bar. I love my Piranha Tooth Bar. These bars are heavy duty, solid, very well made, and easy to install.

https://bxpanded.com/piranha-straight-bar

Jblac197

Equipment
L3800, bush hog, tiller snowblower
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
I was thinking about buying Edge Tamers for the bucket of my FEL for snow removal. The only thing I don't like is that they extend past the edge of the bucket and i want to be able to roll the bucket down to pull snow away from my garage and house. Has anyone made anything like this or have any ideas, specifically on mounting it to the bucket.
What did you end up doing in your situation? I'm in the same boat and thinking about ordering some edge tamers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

jgregory2010

Equipment
B2301
Mar 14, 2018
Granville, OH
What did you end up doing in your situation? I'm in the same boat and thinking about ordering some edge tamers.

I didn't order anything, I thought I would try it out without them first and see how it went. I live near Columbus, OH and we haven't had over 1/2" of snow yet, which i'm not complaining about. So I haven't got to try anything yet.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I built my own version of edge tamers. If we ever get enough snow to move, I will find out if they work.
Looks like a chunk of milled die plate.....:p

One thing I've found out after using my loader bucket to move snow over the years is, a loader don't 'roll' snow like a blade does and I not only do 3 driveways but I do the road from the farm to the pavement as well and it's almost a mile. Why I bought the 10 foot wide plow.

I figure running in 9th on the high side of the main transmission should give me the forward speed I need to roll the show off to the side on the first pass and the back pass, to the other side, opening the road for 2 lanes. I have around 8,000 pounds of tractor, should be enough to move a 10 foot wide path, hopefully.

If it ever snows, guess we will find out. Don't have to snow at all, no issue here.

I'll take pictures for sure...:)

jgregory2010

Equipment
B2301
Mar 14, 2018
Granville, OH

Snow Removal Update:

After the first snow of the year (4"), I believe I will be ordering the edge tamers. I have a blacktop driveway that is about 200' long and I also clear my neighbors driveway, which is gravel and about 150'. The bucket did a nice job of clearing the blacktop but would catch on a lot of cracks and low spots and cause some damage. For the gravel drive way I just rolled the bucket all the way back and essentially just packed the snow down so it wasn't so deep. With edge tamers I would have not done damage to my drive way and could have cleared the gravel driveway much better.

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
I finally got a chance yesterday to try out my homemade edge tamers and they worked great on my gravel driveway. I only dug up gravel in a couple small spots where the gravel was loose in front of my garage.

Jblac197

Equipment
L3800, bush hog, tiller snowblower
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
Snow Removal Update:

After the first snow of the year (4"), I believe I will be ordering the edge tamers. I have a blacktop driveway that is about 200' long and I also clear my neighbors driveway, which is gravel and about 150'. The bucket did a nice job of clearing the blacktop but would catch on a lot of cracks and low spots and cause some damage. For the gravel drive way I just rolled the bucket all the way back and essentially just packed the snow down so it wasn't so deep. With edge tamers I would have not done damage to my drive way and could have cleared the gravel driveway much better.
Same here. I took a couple nice chunks out of my blacktop. Ordered the edge tamers about a week ago. They're on back order about 3 weeks