Fish Lifes B6100 Restoration

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
FishLife, folks think Kubota paint at the dealer is expensive....they haven't priced at your store!!

I'm guessing it wouldn't take much more than a quart of orange and one of blue to do your B6100. You put the hardener in there and that makes the paint go a bit further.

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
Looks like you got one heck of a project going. Hopefully getting my L260P back to life isn't going to be nearly this extensive. Good Luck!
I didnt originally plan on doing this much to it. Somewhere along the line I realized it was going to be more than I thought and decided to completely restore it like the day in came off the assembly line. This tractor will never see farm life again as long as I have it. All it is going to be used for is a little mule to maneuver my boat and equipment trailer in my drive. Good luck on you adventure and I will be following along.

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
This thread is seriously lacking pictures
Sorry to disappoint. There is just not much to show at the moment. Just a lot of dismantled parts. The dealer called me this morning and a large order of parts had come in. So from this point forward I will be able to start posting the rebuild part of this project.

Attachments

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
I didnt originally plan on doing this much to it. ... This tractor will never see farm life again as long as I have it. All it is going to be used for is a little mule to maneuver my boat and equipment trailer in my drive.
FishLife is satisfactorily transitioning from hooked on fishing to hooked on Kubota tractors as per textbook. Keep up the good work team :D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Just a lot of dismantled parts.
Fish - great photos - like your shop.

It probably sounds foolish, but I like the paper plates with the small parts. Much easier to see than baggies, and I never write well enough to read my bag labels.....

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
Fish - great photos - like your shop.

It probably sounds foolish, but I like the paper plates with the small parts. Much easier to see than baggies, and I never write well enough to read my bag labels.....
Thanks.I got the idea from a YouTube video of a guy restoring a car. Before I saw the video I had several of those oil drip pan trays with little piles of parts trying to keep them sorted. You do have to be careful not drop the plate or knock it off the bench. Nothing wrong with bags but I like the plates. Maybe cause I havent dropped one yet.

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
There was delay in getting all my parts do to some confusion at the parts counter. I have been at a stand still waiting on the correct parts. Finally got them late last week. I changed all the oil seals and gasket in the rear and stripped the old paint that was pealing on the aluminum portions. I gave everything a good steam clean and this section is ready for paint. I have some time off so I’m going to work on getting the engine all back together now.

Attachments

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
On your aluminum parts, you might want to look for a aluminum primer that etches into the metal and helps the finish paint stick.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
+1. Zinc chromate primer is best for aluminium.

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
Forgot to mention in my previous post that I decided to go with the PPG paint and epoxy primer and SEM rattle can etch primer for the bare metal portions. I took a piece that I had painted with the Kubota rattle can to have them match. They had a color code already for the blue and both oranges. The blue is in the PPG Delfleet product and the orange is in the PPG Shop line product. I will attach the paint labels for others if they want to go with PPG paint. The label is for the old orange.

Attachments

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
I havent been able to paint the rest of the parts yet do to the cold front we got. In the meen time I started replating the nuts and bolts and othe hardware that doesn’t get paint. Also working on things around the house for the wife. But still moving forward. I plan to get the engine on the bench to mount the flywheel and starter to bench test it before I mount it back to check that it is running good. Hoping to get that done by next weekend.

Attachments

DoubleDurgz

Equipment
B6100D
Dec 16, 2018
North East, MD
How are you tracking all your Rods, linkages and springs? I’m starting to get concerned when I have to put it back together. I did get this manual but the pics aren’t that great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
How are you tracking all your Rods, linkages and springs? I***8217;m starting to get concerned when I have to put it back together. I did get this manual but the pics aren***8217;t that great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have tags attached to some things. All the small parts I separated on white paper plates with a discription of what it is and where it goes written in the bottom of the plate with a sharpie and placed on a wire shelf rack. As I took it apart I put things in groups. Like in the motor anything fuel related is on one plate, valve related on another, bolts for the right floorboard on another and so on. All the larger parts I have hanging another rack.

Attachments

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
FishLife, nice work. Your attention to detail leads me to think in your previous life you must have been an aircraft mechanic or a surgeon!