M9540 fuel primer

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
Changing the fuel filter an separator and don't want to break anything. There is a plastic round knob on top of the filter housing which I think it would normally be a primmer pump. Tried to loosen but seems either stuck or there is a pump somewhere else.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There are 22 different models of M9540, so you'll have to be a little more specific.

Provide the Exact model and/or serial # to get complete answers. ;)

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
Guess I need to look thru the settings, I didn't get any message of replys

In any case, my serial number is 86399, and is a HDC24
Maybe I just need to pump it more but the plastic thing (pump piece) doesn't move very much (3/8 inch or so) and I feel something in the center when it goes down. I have CAT dozers and backhoe and they have a pump also but it moves more then this one.

Guess I need to just pump it more and see if something happens

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
There are 22 different models of M9540, so you'll have to be a little more specific.

Provide the Exact model and/or serial # to get complete answers. ;)
Wolfman
I realize on diagnosing most problems tractor type/SN is very important factors that need to be known. The bleeding instructions tthorkil posted are very similar to whats outlined in operators manual for my M7040 HDC-1 so ""curiosity forces me to ask"" how many different methods/ways are outlined in operators manual are there to bleed fuel system on a M9540?
Thank you,Jim

Recently I helped my daughter bleed the fuel system on her newly acquired International 4700 truck with a DT466 engine without the aid of an operators manual which she hasn't seen fit to acquire.

Last edited:

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
International 4700 truck with a DT466
I've got the same truck but is a 97 dump. The pump is right there and works good. Figured the tractor would work the same way and sounds like it does. Hope its not bad because I'm not getting much of a stroke and not moving anything so far, hope I can get it working

The tractor is new to me and appears very little maintenance was done to it. There is still orange paint on the loader grease fittings, and I'm having trouble getting the grease in.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
AllDodge
I looked at the fuel system on my daughters truck but couldn't locate a hand pump. So I opened bleeder on fuel filter housing,blew compressed air in RH fuel tank neck with remainder of tank opening blocked off by shop towel until air free fuel came out of bleeder,closed bleeder & my daughter turned ign key & the engine commenced running. My air bleeding procedure isn't according to operators manual but it works just the same.

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
Air in the tank is an easy way, many do it that way, just don't want much pressure (under 5 psi and 3 is better)

My pump is on top the fuel filter housing

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
They change things on different models, and some have mounted in the line. Looks the size of a shot gun shell. If the motor is a 466 DTE then it can have an electric fuel pump, so you just turn the key on/off a few times.

When changing my last filter I pumped it a bunch until it finally came out the bleed screw. I'd post a pic but doesn't give me the option to upload, oh well :rolleyes:

Oh did go back out and pumped some more on the tractor and not sure if its doing anything, but 28*F and no need to fire it up now

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wolfman
I realize on diagnosing most problems tractor type/SN is very important factors that need to be known. The bleeding instructions tthorkil posted are very similar to whats outlined in operators manual for my M7040 HDC-1 so ""curiosity forces me to ask"" how many different methods/ways are outlined in operators manual are there to bleed fuel system on a M9540?
Thank you,Jim

Recently I helped my daughter bleed the fuel system on her newly acquired International 4700 truck with a DT466 engine without the aid of an operators manual which she hasn't seen fit to acquire.
Its a heck of a lot easier for me to give strait and concise information when I don't have to look through multiple pages of blue prints and diagrams to see what different options were on different models. ;)

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
Got the pump working. The piece in the center I was feeling when pushing down was a Phelps screw holding the plastic pump knob. The knob came off and I managed to get it reattached.

After tightening the screw, was pushing up/down and tried pushing harder downward. After a few attempts, it moved further down and I could hear and see air purging in the separator.

Sometime you just have to figure it out

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Got the pump working. The piece in the center I was feeling when pushing down was a Phelps screw holding the plastic pump knob. The knob came off and I managed to get it reattached.

After tightening the screw, was pushing up/down and tried pushing harder downward. After a few attempts, it moved further down and I could hear and see air purging in the separator.

Sometime you just have to figure it out
Thanks for the update! :D