10 acres - what would you get?

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Fair enough. You could get by with a B series, but I’d go L2501. My primary reasoning is that with a BX my biggest hang up is with the FEL lifting capacity. The B isn’t that much better. Now I’m building a large shop, I have to think through whether I’ll be able to get a pallet of materials out of my truck. Makes me wish I had an L. I have to ask... coming from a construction background, what made you decide on tractor over a skid steer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've seen several folks say the L2501 has a higher lifting capacity than the bigger B's. According to the specs, the L2501 comes with the LA525 loader, lift capacity of 1082 lbs (820 lbs forward of the pins). My B2650 came with the LA534 loader with lift capacity of 1146 lbs (827 lbs forward of the pins). Not a big difference by any means, but the B will actually out lift the L when comparing these two models.

Sorry for the thread jack, back to the regularly schedule spending of someone else's money :)

hunter.b2015

Dec 23, 2018
Batavia
I have 10 acres as well and i'm currently shopping for a new tractor. in fact, I just joined this forum today because I have questions and Kubota is my first choice in tractor.

I'm of the opinion that you should buy more tractor than you'll need. I'm currently looking at L3901, L4701 and MX4800. The MX being the one I'm really considering. I have a pellet burning stove and would like to move 1 ton pallets of pellets around with the loader. Planning on a pole barn construction project in the future, brush hogging, food plots and possibly getting hired by the neighbors for random stuff.

I have a mx5200 w a LA 1065 FEL
I also buy pellets by the ton however the loader isn’t strong enough to move the pallet easily. I usually have to get rid of about 300# to lift it about a foot or so off the ground and still feel like I’m not being to hard on the loader. Their maybe a way to turn up the pressure but I haven’t explored that yet.

Mich4x4

Equipment
None yet
Jan 16, 2019
Lapeer County Michigan
I have a mx5200 w a LA 1065 FEL
I also buy pellets by the ton however the loader isn’t strong enough to move the pallet easily. I usually have to get rid of about 300# to lift it about a foot or so off the ground and still feel like I’m not being to hard on the loader. Their maybe a way to turn up the pressure but I haven’t explored that yet.

Thanks.. Interesting... I was under the impression that the 1065 would handle a ton.

hunter.b2015

Dec 23, 2018
Batavia
Thanks.. Interesting... I was under the impression that the 1065 would handle a ton.

It will lift it barley off the ground but you will have to max out the rpm on the tractor to do it. It won’t roll back at all. Just FYI

Kmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 - loader, tiller, mower
Jan 15, 2019
Ohio
First. I do sincerely thank you guys for your time and knowledge.

Heres the summery. Seems like the L is most recommended.

Fair enough. You could get by with a B series, but I’d go L2501.

Maybe even the L4701.
L2501 would be a good choice
As others have said, the L2501 might be a good starting point for the tasks you mention
A B2650, FEL, Box Scraper, rotary cutter and/or finish mower? With not much snow the FEL and box scraper should take care of it
I have 14 acres and a BX23S-AU
Check the numbers on the smaller Kubota models here: http://www.orangetractortalks.com/f...55&arubalp=b1ae49d1-8a7e-43e7-b02b-ba05658657
For either of those I think a large B is better than the L2501.
L47 or an mx.
I sure like the features on my Grand L3560.
Another selling point for me on the L2501 was the normal dash
I bought a used B3200. If I had to do it over again, I would have gone with a similar sized L
I'm currently looking at L3901, L4701 and MX4800
I had a B1700 while i was building and it did everything i needed.

I was thinking the L2501 originally. This kind of reaffirms that but also intrigues me to look into a larger size B for MMM and the larger L if HP is needed. Guess this probably depends more on implements, which I need to figure out what I will need.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
The L2501 is heavier and less ground clearance, so would be a better choice for farm type ground work where weight is needed. The big B is lighter, more ground clearance, longer wheel base but shorter turn radius, so better for landscaping and working in the woods. Mine is for the yard and woods, so I went B2650 with turf tires and a backhoe. Both choices will do great for box blading work, driveway maintenance, etc. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those, but of course I'm partial to the B since I went that route.

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
define the tasks..the budget..your time...

Trees mean issues for a cab. not a lot of snow or fields to deal wtih - no cab needed.

Since you can borrow 'real' dirt working equipment no hoe needed.

trees...all those trees, limbs falling, etc - grapple sounds useful. And there fore loader capacity may be a main consideration.

A tiller..not so much, you won't enjoy tilling tree roots. LOL

Gonna cut grass with this item? Or something else?

A backblade will do snow, drive way maintenance, a 25hp should be good.

Doesn't sound like you neeed a lot of PTO driven equipment or have hills so more HP in the same size chassis won't do you much good.

SolbergDave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800HST w/LA1065 FEL, Bobcat forks, QH10, RB3784, BB3584, RTA1274
Jul 12, 2018
PHILLIPS, WI
I was going to get an L series, dealer gave me a deal on a MX5800 I couldn't pass on. Most of the time you wish you had more it's probably going to be weight not HP. I'm really glad I got the MX, a little bigger but still good in the woods. Didn't mention if you are planning food plots. Wider implements are great when doing field work. I'm in northern WI and get plenty of snow. I wouldn't get a blower unless you have a cab for sure. Honestly I do my place and 4 vacation homes in less than a hour using my back blade and bucket. The back blade really does a good job. I also have a box blade, and it is fantastic for woods trails, drives etc. But I would not give up my back blade for snow removal. Always buy a little more implement than you need (go up in series, size). One other thought on weight, if you are going to trailer, consider that. I'm registered for 12,000 lbs and probably pretty close to that with the trailer, tractor with wheels filled, bucket and implement.

Kmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 15, 2019
Ohio
define the tasks..the budget..your time...

Trees mean issues for a cab. not a lot of snow or fields to deal wtih - no cab needed.

Since you can borrow 'real' dirt working equipment no hoe needed.

trees...all those trees, limbs falling, etc - grapple sounds useful. And there fore loader capacity may be a main consideration.

A tiller..not so much, you won't enjoy tilling tree roots. LOL

Gonna cut grass with this item? Or something else?

A backblade will do snow, drive way maintenance, a 25hp should be good.

Doesn't sound like you neeed a lot of PTO driven equipment or have hills so more HP in the same size chassis won't do you much good.
Dont think I need a cab. Im sure it would be nice though.

Task I foresee after construction would be tree/limb cleanup, driveway maintenance, snow pushing, and mowing for the tall grass areas. Other unforeseen task will arise.

Plan on getting a zero turn for the finish mowing.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Task I foresee after construction would be tree/limb cleanup, driveway maintenance, snow pushing, and mowing for the tall grass areas. Other unforeseen task will arise.

Plan on getting a zero turn for the finish mowing.
If no mowing and no snow blowing, then you don't really need a mid mount PTO. For field work you'll really want a bush hog or maybe a 3ph mower - they're heavier duty.

A cab is the other big option a B can come with, you don't want one of them.

Sounds like you don't intend being close in to the house much, so weight on the ground isn't a big issue.

You don't mention trailering, but assuming the weight isn't an issue for you with trailering, then I think all that would push you towards the L. It's a much larger capacity engine, therefore more torque (and rumoured to have more HP than officially claimed), it's a heavier tractor that can do more things. While the listed numbers are similar to the large B (and the large B is a little better in some measures), I suspect the L has more headroom in it's numbers - there's just more metal in it and more engine in it. And I agree about the dash, but to me dash is a minor thing.

Ultimately I'd go sit on both, drive both if you can. And as others have said, hard to go wrong with either of those models.

Going larger - either bigger L, or into an MX, is also an option, but sounds like really you have only 2 acres plus some woods - it's not like you need to mow or manage all 10 acres. So the small L is enough, it avoids the DPF stuff, and leaves more money over for implements.

One other question is whether your better half will drive it at all, and whether her opinion matters. Women can lean towards smaller machines, maybe she'd prefer the B?

Last edited:

Kmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 15, 2019
Ohio
If no mowing and no snow blowing, then you don't really need a mid mount PTO. For field work you'll really want a bush hog or maybe a 3ph mower - they're heavier duty.

Ultimately I'd go sit on both, drive both if you can.

One other question is whether your better half will drive it at all, and whether her opinion matters. Women can lean towards smaller machines, maybe she'd prefer the B?

Really good points Paul.

I sat on the L last fall but have yet to drive one. I had not thought about what the wife would be more comfortable on if she needed to use it. Next visit I will bring her and get her opinions. I need to look over implements on another visit anyway. Thanks

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You have daughters? Then anything with a back hoe, and show the boys that come calling

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
You have daughters? Then anything with a back hoe, and show the boys that come calling
The intention is for them to spend all their time playing with the back hoe instead of playing with your daughter? That's one way to manage things I guess. :)

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I think an L size sounds right. I agree on borrowing larger equipment for your build if you can. If it costs you a ton to “rent” it, then maybe it makes sense to get a TLB. For me in the high mountains it was an easy choice.

Dgas47

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Nov 28, 2018
McKees Rocks, PA, USA
Personally, I'd go with a B series if you will be using it more often on the manicured lawn or the L if you're going to be using it more in the tall grass and to maintain the driveway.

I went with a B2601 and it's only for gathering firewood and landscaping duty. I have a Cub Cadet Zforce steering wheel zero turn and would recommend that mower to anyone who wants a zero turn with hills. I love my stripes and couldn't bring myself to put an ounce of weight more than necessary on the lawn.

Attachments

Dgas47

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Nov 28, 2018
McKees Rocks, PA, USA
The intention is for them to spend all their time playing with the back hoe instead of playing with your daughter? That's one way to manage things I guess. :)
I'm thinking he was leaning more towards the backhoe has the ability to dig a grave...................

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Personally, I'd go with a B series if you will be using it more often on the manicured lawn or the L if you're going to be using it more in the tall grass and to maintain the driveway.

I went with a B2601 and it's only for gathering firewood and landscaping duty. I have a Cub Cadet Zforce steering wheel zero turn and would recommend that mower to anyone who wants a zero turn with hills. I love my stripes and couldn't bring myself to put an ounce of weight more than necessary on the lawn.
Beautiful place, thanks for sharing. There is no beating a ZT for mowing a nice lawn.

Kmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 15, 2019
Ohio
HAHA no children yet! When that time does come Ive got some pretty big excavators at work that will come in handy ;)

Say we go with the L2501 HST with loader. For implements initially Im thinking the rear blade and a rotary cutter. Possibly a scraper/box blade for the gravel drive.

I see several different models of each that fit according to the performance matched sheet. Obviously Id like to have the wheel base covered, but even then there are different models with different weights.

Im assuming the heavier ones are more beefy. Are they worth the extra $?