bx2380 chains?

BillSz

Jan 2, 2019
Northfield, Mn
I am a new owner of a 2380 and today was the first time I got to try it plowing snow. The was only 2"-3" on the driveway but I had minimal traction. I am using the plow attached to the FEL with unweighted turf tires. I do have a ballast box with about 300 lbs. of weight on the back. I have been using 4WD in low gear.

I should mention that before today we had rain/warmer weather (very unusual for Mn) and my gravel driveway has ice under the snow.

My questions are:
1. Should I take the weight off the back since I am not lifting anything with the bucket at present? Would that help with front end traction?
2. Are chains, both front and rear the answer?

For those of you with experience, what would you recommend to improve traction/snow moving capability?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Bill - chains, absolutely! Leave ballast box on.

I suggest 2-link ladder chains. I put them on without spacers, but many guys have added spacers for more room. Kept tight and “cheating” to the outside, I haven’t had any issues in 5 years.
Thus far, I have them on rear only. I would not be able to function without them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Bill - I should add I'm just pushing a blower.

I certainly couldn't push a plow without chains.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I am a new owner of a 2380 and today was the first time I got to try it plowing snow. The was only 2"-3" on the driveway but I had minimal traction. I am using the plow attached to the FEL with unweighted turf tires. I do have a ballast box with about 300 lbs. of weight on the back. I have been using 4WD in low gear.

I should mention that before today we had rain/warmer weather (very unusual for Mn) and my gravel driveway has ice under the snow.

My questions are:
1. Should I take the weight off the back since I am not lifting anything with the bucket at present? Would that help with front end traction?
2. Are chains, both front and rear the answer?

For those of you with experience, what would you recommend to improve traction/snow moving capability?

Thanks in advance,
Bill
Chains are BY FAR the best way to increase snow traction. Rears for traction, fronts for steering.

Keep the ballast box on.

Since you are plowing on gravel, you have the option of using aggressive chains that are damaging to concrete and asphalt. Go to tirechains.com and learn about the options. You may want to try the relatively new "euro" style with studs. Expensive but effective. Use both F & R.

Adjust the skid shoes to avoid digging up the gravel and plow with the FEL in float mode.

For significant snow, you may need more rear ballast to counterweigh the FEL mounted plow. I use a ballast box weighing about 400 Lbs. and loaded rear tires (dealer mistake) on my B3350 with FEL mounted plow.

SDT

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have been plowing or snow blowing for over 10 years with loaded turf tires on a asphalt driveway about 1600', without chains. I have always used my weight box with about 650# of lead in it, and never have had a problem. I have chains, but have never installed them. I also have an incline, and can always climb it, albeit with some difficulty if using the blade. Snow blower never has a problem. This will be the first year that I will be plowing/blowing without my weight box, since my 3 point hitch isn't working. I am hoping that the backhoe will be enough weight to do the job. I am not going to fault anyone for using chains, because that is a personal decision, just giving my experience with my BX22.