Toolbox Upgrade

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I swapped out my OEM toolbox for a 50 cal ammo can. I used the hardware from the toolbox and SMV sign to mount it. Ok, I ripped that idea off from someone else but I did add a $4 magnet tray to it. I'm tired of putting my pins and washers on the fender while changing implements, only to knock them to the ground and then crawl under my tractor to find them. I mounted the tray in this position so it wouldn't collect water. Now I'm thinking about moving the OEM toolbox to the fender.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
Nice job, great idea on the magnet parts bin. I replaced mine with the home Depot Homer box, and mounted the original on the front of my rtv for winch parts.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Note about moving the toolbox to the fender:

If you're a klutz, like me, you WILL whack your elbow on the box getting on or off the tractor...

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Looks nice. I have to find a place for mine on the M62. Options are limited with a swiveling seat!

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
A while back I designed a tool box for my B2650 out of 1/8" plate and welded grade 8 bolts onto the back of the box, and used existing holes in the loader frame to mount it to. It worked out really well. I had a member contact me and wanted 2 boxes for his B2650 with a backhoe mounted, but had third function mounted on the right side and it mounts to the same holes as the tool box would. He still wanted one for the right side, so I came up with this idea to mount it to the rops, and he would be able to easily access it from the seat while running the back hoe. It not in the way of anything and is very solid and he was very happy with the results. Maybe it will help you guys.

View attachment 40125

View attachment 40126

View attachment 40127

View attachment 40128

View attachment 40129

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
I swapped out my OEM toolbox for a 50 cal ammo I did add a $4 magnet tray to it. I'm tired of putting my pins and washers on the fender while changing implements, only to knock them to the ground and then crawl under my tractor to find them. I mounted the tray in this position so it wouldn't collect water.
I use a magnetic tray or two as well!

For my pins I use these little magnetic hooks...

vvbigbb

Equipment
ZD25, Quick Attach ,Befco rototiller, TI Quick Attach, 84" Woods Rotary Cutter,
Mar 2, 2015
Bantam, CT
The ammo boxes are great for holding all the tools you may need in the North 40. Been using ammo boxes for 30 years, myself but the magnetic tray is a very good addition I will use on all my boxes. I am thinking of keeping the trays stuck to the outside until I need it. Thank You for the ideas:)

LOMartin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC / B77 / FEL / LP Grapple
Jul 14, 2018
Savannah, Georgia
@RKIDD design is rock solid. I have one of his boxes on my 2650hsdc and it looks factory and functions flawlessly.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I mounted my toolbox directly onto the bracket that comes designed to hold the slow moving vehicle sign. Two holes in the ammo can and it was done. The SMV sign slipped easily into a little slot on the opposite side with no further work.

Reactions: 1 users

streborx

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Jul 18, 2020
Colorado
Just took delivery of my new L3901 and wonder how I ever survived without it (my RTV500 has been pushed way beyond its intended service). Like everyone else I found the OE toolbox good for not much more than storing a grease rag. I had several plastic ammo boxes, one which is orange, and repurposed it for behind the seat storage in place of the OE box (can't remember where I bought it). It's about 6"x14"x10", and is big enough to hold 2 sets of sockets and end wrenches, a set of pliers, screw driver, rags, and couple other items. For reinforcement, I mounted the box on a 1/2" PVC plate, put a 1/4" PVC plate inside and used fender washers and longer screws to mount to the bracket's welded-on nuts. Since there's never enough storage, I added 2 steel 50 cal. ammo boxes to the FEL L/H tower, as many other owners have. My "saddlebag" mounting method is a bit different as the attached photos show. I used 2 scrap pieces of Trex decking (7/8" thick is perfect) to space each box away from the tower so the lids clear the pivot pin flanges and to reinforce the wall of the box. I used four hex head 3/8" x 2-1/2" bolts to mount each box and located the bolts in a pattern such that bolt shanks rest on the tapered tower, and thus define the boxes' vertical position. The bolt pattern on the boxes are mirror images so that each bolt pair meets at the center and is joined with rod couplers (about 1-3/4" long). The bolts are snugged so that the assembly stays in place. Jam nuts on each bolt are tightened against the couplers so that everything stays secure. The bolts have 1-1/2" fender washers on the box interior. This mounting method avoids making any modification to the FEL tower, and the boxes can be removed easily in about 5 minutes. I could have used 4 long bolts (about 6") to run all the way between the boxes, but I wanted to minimize obstruction inside the boxes (nuts, lock washers and bolt ends). A single box can be mounted using the same technique. My tow chain, lunch and drinks now have a home. Maybe I'll paint the boxes orange when I get tired of driving the tractor.

20200718_133901.jpg
20200718_133910.jpg
20200718_133919.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I added a larger box, a fire extinguisher and moved my SMV placard.

toolbox.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

streborx

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Jul 18, 2020
Colorado
This works for me...
I thought about a fender mount box, but the L has only 12" between the hand-grip and tail light. I would like to find a small cargo rack (maybe a bike rack) that would mount there to bungee-cord my lunch bag. Tool rack is nicely done - looks as if the basket is big enough for a chain saw.

NF6X

Equipment
L3301HST w/ LA525 & BH77
Mar 19, 2017
Riverside, CA
www.nf6x.net
I have an L3301HST with backhoe, and I'm thinking of removing the left lollipop light to make more room for a toolbox on the left fender. I have a grease gun hanging in a mount clamped to the roll bar under the factory toolbox on the left side right now. It's convenient, but it piddles on the left fender.

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
Looks nice. I have to find a place for mine on the M62. Options are limited with a swiveling seat!
Does the M62 have mount holes for the factory tool box mount on the loader mast?
I made my own brackets and mounted this tool box from Rural King. It's designed to lift off after loosening two clamping screws. Since the bracket that is left behind is much smaller than the box, interference is minimal if I need to do work in this area.
Since there is plenty of room and the box can be easily removed, a box much larger than the one I chose could be used if desired.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user