Do I have a hog problem?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

Got to play in the mud with the kubota today. And get the trap built and set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Just be careful with them (if alive). Those cutters are wicked.....
BE VERY CAREFUL!!!
I used to raise hogs. Domesticated animals. We used to breed them AI. Didn't want an intact male around. When it was time to farrow we would put her in a farrowing crate for everyone's protection. If one of those little piglets squeeled mama would flip out and the girls across the aisle would join in to the fray. The strength of these animals could never be under estimated. When it came time to wean the piglets, (21 days), we would put mama back into the pen with the other girls. Even though they were apart for only three weeks and they could see each other the whole time they still had to re-establish the pecking order. And these were sisters that grew up together. It was an amazing primal sight.
You will be dealing with wild animals.
I can easily imagine how out of control things could get in a hurry. Trust me, I wouldn't trust those cattle panels. My pigs would bend that 4 gage steel wire with their nose just by lifting their head. And they didn't even want to get out of the pen! I could easily see them pulling those T-posts right out of the ground.
PLEASE BE CAREFUL!

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
BE VERY CAREFUL!!!
I used to raise hogs. Domesticated animals. We used to breed them AI. Didn't want an intact male around. When it was time to farrow we would put her in a farrowing crate for everyone's protection. If one of those little piglets squeeled mama would flip out and the girls across the aisle would join in to the fray. The strength of these animals could never be under estimated. When it came time to wean the piglets, (21 days), we would put mama back into the pen with the other girls. Even though they were apart for only three weeks and they could see each other the whole time they still had to re-establish the pecking order. And these were sisters that grew up together. It was an amazing primal sight.
You will be dealing with wild animals.
I can easily imagine how out of control things could get in a hurry. Trust me, I wouldn't trust those cattle panels. My pigs would bend that 4 gage steel wire with their nose just by lifting their head. And they didn't even want to get out of the pen! I could easily see them pulling those T-posts right out of the ground.
PLEASE BE CAREFUL!
I am a little Leary on the t posts staying in the ground as well especially as wet as it is here. This was a cheap first attempt to catch them as I had the supplies here already.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
Yes, you have a problem. As has be mention already, feral hogs can breed twice a year and have 6-10 offspring each time. I know there are those that love hunting them for sport and it is fun but they need to be eradicated. Feral hogs also carry diseases that are transmittable to humans so GLOVE UP if you choose to clean and eat the meat. We had so many take over our lease in MS that MDWFP and the property owner told us to gut shoot them and let them run off if we didn't want the meat......There is no closed season on feral hogs in Mississippi.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I must have missed what the guy did after he got to the feeder other that wallow in the mud.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yes, they ARE a problem! I have a grass airplane runway on my place and the neighboring ranch is owned by an old drunk woman who needs to be committed. She leases to "hunters" who are actually a bunch of city-lawyers who come out wearing camo and face paint and run around her property on ATVs and kill tame deer over feeders calling that "hunting".
Feral hogs on her property are over-running all us neighbors and have torn up my runway so badly that I could not even drive my little 9N Ford on it faster than a creep (which the 9N doesn't actually have.) It ruined the reason I live out here.
The state owns the nearby lake and they offered to her to trap all the hogs and get them outta here...but the drunk told them "NO, my hunters LOVE those Hogs!"
Well... those city-lawyer "hunters" with their trailer-houses, loud music and whiskey and kill tame deer over corn feeders apparently don't realize the reason the deer population (not to mention quail and other nice game) is decimated is because feral hogs KILL fawns and eat quail eggs. Deer LEAVE THE AREA when hogs arrive. No kidding, the state of Texas Fish and Game are warning that even rattlesnakes are changing.... they no longer give warning by rattling because the ones that do get stomped to death in a frenzy by the wild hogs. Only silent snakes survive and their offspring also no longer rattle.
NOW we have non-rattlesnakes, no deer, no quail and ruined property.
The reason I bought my M4700DT Kubota, disc harrow, tiller, planer-blade, and 18,000 lb Ferguson Asphalt compactor-roller is to repair my little airplane grass runway. It has cost me almost $50K to repair the hog damage and it remains on-going likely for years to come.
Trapping wild hogs only works a couple of times and they learn to avoid traps...and most traps only catch one or two hogs at a time. I'm facing several wallows of dozen or more. They are mostly black and hard to see at night when landing the airplane and a black shadow shoots across in front of you.
Even large traps don't work well if you catch a larger group because they will crowd to a corner and climb over each other and over the fencing ...with many escapees now much smarter about the whole affair.
Shooting wild hogs only works a short time and is spotty at-best because hogs do not keep a schedule. They can't be counted on to show up Thursday nights... or between midnight and 3Am.... they are totally unpredictable. I'm surrounded by thousands of acres of neighboring ranch-country and there's no way any of us are going to get relief from property, game, and crop damage. We are beginning to think a large-scale gov't-run eradication program is the only way to solve this problem.
I'm tired of so-called "hog hunting experts" with night-vision, silencers, ground-damaging ATVs and helicopters offering to come out here and shoot up around my household and grandchildren (the cure is as bad as the curse) ...not only because I moved out here to GET AWAY from "civilized people" ***8230; but also for the peace and quiet. Crazies in vehicles with guns and scopes running around chasing after unpredictable hogs are not my idea of a solution.
Feral hogs are NOT good eating unless you know what they've been eating. Out here in coyote country they may be poisionous and full of parasites.
I used to think poorly of my sons recommendation of gut-shooting them so they'd run out somewhere far away and die (thereby relieving me of the task of dragging them off before they stink) .....because I felt that was cruel, but I'm rapidly getting to the point I no longer feel sorry for any of them. The problem now would be (keeping in mind that this is not "pigs in a barrel" because they are too unpredicable, too numerous, and too smart.... even if we could kill a bunch of them the escapees would replenish the herd and the circling vultures feasting on the dead would then become a hazard to flying my airplane at my own runway.

%$*%$%$*%$%$*

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
GeoHorn, no doubt you and many others have a wild hog problem!

One part of your thread I don't understand. You said, "...the state of Texas Fish and Game are warning that even rattlesnakes are changing.... they no longer give warning by rattling because the ones that do get stomped to death in a frenzy by the wild hogs.

So if a rattlesnake makes a rattling(warning) noise and the results are they get consumed by wild hogs, are hogs so smart as to KNOW another is gone because it make a rattling noise? And therefore they learn from the dead to not make a noise or they will also die?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
So if a rattlesnake makes a rattling(warning) noise and the results are they get consumed by wild hogs, are hogs so smart as to KNOW another is gone because it make a rattling noise? And therefore they learn from the dead to not make a noise or they will also die?

That is a question for the ages my friend

ehenry

Equipment
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I concur with GeoHorn!!!!

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
Trapping may be effective, until some older sows/ boars get trap smart. I put 6 wild hogs up this year so far, mostly smoked sausage. Selection and Processing is the key. Large boar, take a picture and dispose of him. If you process a small boar, you have to make sure you don't get into his glands or urinary system. How do you know if you did...... you'll know, the smell. If this gets on the meat, bye bye sausage. If you don't hit em quick and hard, you will have around 26, or so, within a year. And then the real multiplication starts. I had a sounder of about 28 - 30 on my place. But traps, two hounds, and lead poisoning is causing a decline around me, but definitely not extinct. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bulldog777

Equipment
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
By the way, wild hogs eat snakes and baby deer. They are unpredictable in my experience.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
By the way, wild hogs eat snakes and baby deer. They are unpredictable in my experience.

I'd have just shot it, but I suppose tilling it is more sporting...

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hold your tickets,, I think we might have a hog hunt commin !!! :D

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Ours are swamp fed hogs around here, have heard mixed things about eating them
Just have a processor add beef fat.
.300 Blackout works real good & shoot everyone you see from large to small. Here in East Texas our Chamber of Commerce sponsors a wild hog hunting contest for gun, trapping, & hog dogs. I think last year over the weekend 700 were brought in. I'm convinced the hogs just multiply faster since we see more and more of the varmits.
The 1st wild hogs in North America go back to the Spanish explorers who would release them so settlers following would have a food supply.

Last edited:

Bulldog777

Equipment
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
I'd have just shot it, but I suppose tilling it is more sporting...
Trying to get an ad contract with Kubota/ Landpride for new uses of tractor&implements...[emoji23][emoji28][emoji16]