Making the Bucket Better

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Was finally able to spend some time doing the standard mods to the bucket on the new-to-us L4240HSTC. This is the third FEL bucket of mine to receive an angle iron chain slot of some sort and a cutting edge. This cutting edge is more of a wearing edge in case it gets pressed into service for snow removal. It's just a sacrificial piece and not sharpened like the last two.
Whole lot of drilling and 1/2-13 tapping to do that.

It produced about a quart of tailings that I gathered with one of my switched magnets. Grabbing most of the metal debris was as simple as dangling the (turned-on) Magswitch from a piece of paracord to pick the stuff up and then hold it over an old plastic container and turn it off. Worked great.

The cutting edge install took a good part of a day itself. The slotted angle only took about an hour to mount. I punched the slots and mounting holes on the Piranha at work earlier this week. The slots were simply a matter of punching holes, then I used a DeWalt cordless band saw to cut in from the edge to turn them into slots.

Attachments

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Interesting... I like the sacrificial edge thing... what type of steel is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Interesting... I like the sacrificial edge thing... what type of steel is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a piece of plain carbon flat bar I found. Nothing special. I'll watch for a thicker piece of stainless like I used on the L3200, but this will preserve the factory edge till then.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not much of a 'cutting edge' from what I see. It's blunt, not ground/milled to a tapered point. Not a bad idea though but if it was me, I would have milled the edge to a tapered point.

Not sure about the chain hook top rail. I just loop the chain around the bucket but most times I'll use the pallet fork attachment.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
A quart of tailings? Wow - that's a lot of drilling with a cordless!

Bet you could see that in your sleep!:D

Great job Chim!

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
The cutting edge / wearing edge is a temporary piece as I described to protect the factory edge. It did fine this morning cleaning up some small piles left by the rear blades on the Kubota and Ford. The factory edge on my first Kubota showed a lot of wear after just one snow season. We don't always have a piece of 1/2" thick stainless laying around to fab a real edge like the L3200 has in the center picture below.

Since I began using slotted angle on the first Kubota back in 2002, it has proven very handy and plenty strong. Chains can be dropped in front of the bucket or behind it and used for many things. The most common is lifting and providing extra slots to keep unused tails of chains from getting in the way. My brush forks are picked up and held via chains, slotted angle and a ratchet strap.

The DeWalt 20V didn't have any trouble poking the holes, but did use nearly two 5AH batteries for all the drilling.

Attachments

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
Chim,
Looks great! Like the 1pc length of chain slot. Definitely gives you a lot of options.
If you don't mind my asking, what size material did you use for your brush forks? I may want to steal that idea as well.
Regards

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Well chim, as usual, nice work!

A chain slot angle is my next project for my BX, if I can ever get to it......:rolleyes:

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
.....................................If you don't mind my asking, what size material did you use for your brush forks? I may want to steal that idea as well.
I can check but I think the square tube times are about 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 3/16". They're coped into the angle that clips onto the cutting edge. They are heavy and were a little difficult for one guy to handle till this past Spring. The photo on the right is the original design - before adding the tabs and chains. I welded some tabs and a couple chains on the top side of the angle.

Now to mount them all I need to do is drive up to the forks with the bucket in the dumped position. Hop off and hook the two top chains into the slotted angle. Then curl the bucket and the forks self-install. Then connect the looped chain on the underside of the bucket up and around the back of the bucket to the middle slotted angle with a modified load binder pictured in a previous post. At this point the chains in front of the bucket are just along for the ride. They're just there to get the forks in place.

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Could be my imagination but in picture 3, sure looks like the bucket lip is no longer straight.

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
The bucket edge is fine. The angle has a slight camber to it. All that welding shrank/pulled the one leg of the angle. Never thought of it till it was finished. Novice welding:eek:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Nice job. Professional looking job and very neat.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The bucket edge is fine. The angle has a slight camber to it. All that welding shrank/pulled the one leg of the angle. Never thought of it till it was finished. Novice welding:eek:
Just an observation on my part. Wasn't sure. Heating steel does that. does that.

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I can check but I think the square tube times are about 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 3/16". .......................
Confirmed 1-1/2 x 1-1/2. Can't verify the wall thickness because the ends are capped and ground pretty smooth. The tips are cut at a 45 (point at the top) so the bottom is kind of like a sled runner. IF I'm really careful, I can sometimes skim under brush that's on the grass without digging into the sod very much.