Best way to plow gravel driveway?

Velosprints

Equipment
B2920
Jul 16, 2018
Augusta, WV
I’m currently building a house, but the snow is hampering things. I have a construction driveway that I need to plow, but what is the best way to do this without mucking up the gravel/rocks below the snow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I’m currently building a house, but the snow is hampering things. I have a construction driveway that I need to plow, but what is the best way to do this without mucking up the gravel/rocks below the snow?

one way is to back drag it.....
turn the blade around and "pull" the snow.
still can move some gravel - but no where near the same amount.

Lower blade to about an inch - then pull the snow at an angle - repeat.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Why not just pack it down & spread some sand?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Backside of rear blade. Either spin the blade around and pull forward or use the blade in reverse. User your 3pt position to keep some of the blade weight off the driveway.

I've been using a rear blade for a dozen years this way and it works pretty well.

Others have used "edge tamers" mounted to the cutting edge of the bucket with some success.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
I***8217;m currently building a house, but the snow is hampering things. I have a construction driveway that I need to plow, but what is the best way to do this without mucking up the gravel/rocks below the snow?

Here is what I designed and built for my tractor back in 1989. Stlll working. I have provided this on other forums and people have successfully used this design.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I guess I should add that I only have a FEL with a pirhana TB to utilize.

You can still back drag .........raise the tooth bar at about 10 degrees to horz.
to the tips of the tooth bar are barely touching the surface of the drive. Capture the snow underneath the bucket - will not be overly effective but will pull snow away.

once you pull backwards - turn around and allow the tooth bar to raise up so the leading edge is above the surface - this way the snow is picked up but not the gravel.

I do this in my driveway - I have to pull some backwards to "get it" out of the way , then move it once I turn around.;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Why not put your bucket down and flat on grade. Then roll the tip of the bucket up just a bit (about 1"), then proceed forward picking up only snow as you adjust the bucket if need be.

Techniques used often are determined by depth of snow and moisture content.

Pizzaguy

Equipment
L3240 HSTC
Nov 24, 2012
Northwest Iowa
Here is what I designed and built for my tractor back in 1989. Stlll working. I have provided this on other forums and people have successfully used this design.
If you could afford the investment in a rear blade, this works awesome. I have been using my rear blade this way for 5-6 years now and it removes the snow without removing the gravel.

kris77

Jun 9, 2016
CA
Rear blade will be your best friend. Or an ATV with a plow.

BTW, is there still a little diner in Augusta across the street from the post office a little ways? I loved that place last time I was there. Noodles or something like that I think.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
My drive is 1200'+. I don't have a blade so I float my FEL and tilt the bucket up around an inch or two. Did a great job on the last snow with minimal gravel in the grass. I also have a Pirhana tooth bar installed.