Outdoor cooking area: Picture Request

Keeth1123

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Dec 13, 2018
Sunshine state
Hello all,

I was fortunate enough to buy a 5 acre piece of property that we will build a home on. My current rental location has a nice porch (27x16) with a roof overhead. The porch used to be screened however the screens are gone.

For the new home, I am very interested in including a porch of the same dimensions and mainly use it for an outdoor kitchen. Mainly my two grills, and a small table. I plan to also hang a wall TV, have a small sink and fridge/freezer for food prep.

Does anyone happen to have a similar setup that could post pictures for inspiration?

Thanks

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
WOW that sounds like a really nice set up,,,,, Can we all come over for a BBQ ;)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Keeth - in upstate New York, we’ve had months with an average temperature of 9 F ( February couple years ago).
Outdoor kitchens are common, but not really snazzy for us common folk...[emoji12]
Mine is my grill and/ or turkey fryer burner in the overhead doorway to stay out of the wind/rain/snow...there’s a garden hose, but only June and July....sometimes only July....[emoji15]
We only have 2 seasons; winter and the 4th of July....[emoji15]

Damn...I’m getting depressed...invite skeets and I down for a BBQ! Just look at the “What’s Cookin’ Boys” thread....I’ll cook!!
Just make sure there’s some adult beverages! I think skeets likes bourbon or Guinness..I’m okay with any lager, and work cheap![emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
We have an area of the yard with about a 1.5 meter diameter camp fire ring and a lot of seating around that. We also have a 20 lb propane tank converted into a wood fired Hobo stove by the picnic table. At this time of year that is all covered in more than a meter of snow.

Gas grill is on the deck, and a young guy in the house will shovel out occasionally. He is a most excellent grill cook.

My plan is to build a small shed on skids, maybe 8' x 12' to be a summer kitchen. My Sweetie does a lot of pressure canning and such so my thinking being that will be convenient for her.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
NIW ,man you could starve to death before you got the grill shoveled out :D

Dgas47

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Nov 28, 2018
McKees Rocks, PA, USA
You'll have to excuse the leaves and mess...

But we used a 12x14 cedar pavilion from Costco and placed it up against an outdoor fireplace and pizza oven. Mounted a Sunbrite 46" TV to the pavilion and it's working out beautifully for us. Future plans include adding a second pavilion over the grills and probably a third one out in the yard to cover the trailer smoker.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
NIW ,man you could starve to death before you got the grill shoveled out :D
Yea we've had to change grilling plans due to weather conditions a few times. :(

New house will have a 25 x 25 covered porch for the grill, table and chairs, sound system and Hot Tub. :D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Dgas that is a real nice set up ! Was out to the homestead to see Lil Bro, last weekend younz guys was all over the place :)

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You'll have to excuse the leaves and mess...
Wha???

Your outdoor quarters are nicer than my indoor quarters!:eek:

I thought I was livin' large when I hung a 24" flat screen in the garage near the beer 'fridge and grill! :p

Seriously, very nice!! :cool:

Dgas47

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Nov 28, 2018
McKees Rocks, PA, USA
Thanks guys. I tried to do everything myself with the help of my father. My dad and I set the wall, I ran all the outdoor speaker wire in conduit before we poured, 12 of us poured the concrete in one morning, 2 neighbors and I built the pavilion, my father and I set the fireplace, and I ran the tv off of a wireless transmitter from our kitchen cable box.

The pavilion was only $1,200 from Costco. At that price it isn't even worth the time to consider building one from scratch. Everything else was extremely budget friendly (as long as you can spare the time to do it yourself). One thing I HATE doing is paying someone else money if I can do it myself. Especially since they always seem to find a way to ____ it up.

I installed the surveillance system, ran all the electrical, cable, and ethernet wire in our house, as well as custom forged two chandeliers for our living room and entryway. One is attached.

Man, I'm tired just from typing it :)

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Yea we've had to change grilling plans due to weather conditions a few times. :(

New house will have a 25 x 25 covered porch for the grill, table and chairs, sound system and Hot Tub. :D
We have a hot tub on the back deck but it's too cold to fiddle with it and too cold to cook outside as well. We don't do the propane grill thing. Lump charcoal in a old school Weber grill. The one that weighs 200 pounds.

By the time I got the charcoal going, my fingers would be frostbitten.:p

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I tried to do everything myself with the help of my father.

Man, I'm tired just from typing it :)
Excellent work, and a lot of it! You should be tired, but proud of your accomplishments.

I think many guys/gals here on OTT are "doers," and self-help whenever possible. You're in good company there.

I'm inconsistent, usually due to time constraints. Sometimes my work is great...others I measure 2x with a micrometer and cut with a chainsaw....:eek:

I've also been known to apply a 4-pound mallet to my thumb...:eek:

Working on one almost a year now.
Wow - look forward to seeing pictures of the final product! Looks like you're getting close.

Last edited: