Att:

melvinhatcher

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525FEL, 66" QA BUCKET, L8455CRUISE CONTROL KIT, WR LONG 3RD FUNCITIO
Feb 16, 2016
Edgewood Maryland
Wolfman, is it ok to use the vacuum over fill port to change the hydro filter on my L3301?
Best regards
Melvin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wolfman, is it ok to use the vacuum over fill port to change the hydro filter on my L3301?
Best regards
Melvin

Yep...Have at it, your not going to have an issue. :D

Any contaminants that are in the filter are pretty much permanently stuck in the filter pleats and with the back flow preventer valve in most filters you could suck and suck and suck and it's not going to pull fluid backwards through the filter. ;)
And even if it did pull some oil back in, it wouldn't hurt anything as it's going to get refiltered before it's used. :D

melvinhatcher

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525FEL, 66" QA BUCKET, L8455CRUISE CONTROL KIT, WR LONG 3RD FUNCITIO
Feb 16, 2016
Edgewood Maryland

Any contaminants that are in the filter are pretty much permanently stuck in the filter pleats and with the back flow preventer valve in most filters you could suck and suck and suck and it's not going to pull fluid backwards through the filter. ;)
And even if it did pull some oil back in, it wouldn't hurt anything as it's going to get refiltered before it's used. :D

To be perfectly honest with you, my fear is that my shop vac would actually suck the fluid out of the tranny. Since I never done this operation before, I don’t know [emoji848] when to turn on the vac, I suppose I should wait until I break the filter loose and start to remove?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Take any container of several gallons capacity with a small neck.

Fill it about 3/4 full with water.

Try and suck out the water with your shop vac. You cannot!

Do this simple experiment and then work on your tractor with piece of mind.

Dave

melvinhatcher

Equipment
Feb 16, 2016
Edgewood Maryland
Take any container of several gallons capacity with a small neck.

Fill it about 3/4 full with water.

Try and suck out the water with your shop vac. You cannot!

Do this simple experiment and then work on your tractor with piece of mind.

Dave

Thank you kind sir,

melvinhatcher

Equipment
Feb 16, 2016
Edgewood Maryland

Hi it’s me again, just how much fluid would I lose by not using the vacuum over the fill port method. Hey who’s gonna fuss over a quart or two of super expensive HST fluid amongst friends? [emoji848]

Gillie Dog

Equipment
L2501 HST, FEL, Forks Attachment, Harrow Disc, etc.
Dec 12, 2018
Southern California
Hi it’s me again, just how much fluid would I lose by not using the vacuum over the fill port method. Hey who’s gonna fuss over a quart or two of super expensive HST fluid amongst friends? [emoji848]
Depends on how fast you are, or another way of saying it, how prepared you are and how much you like oil/fluid running down your arms and all over the ground.

Should be less than 2 quarts if you are moderately fast.:)

GD

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
I changed mine at 50hrs. and I was set up to do it. I didn't lose a cupish so it wasn't a big deal ..

melvinhatcher

Equipment
Feb 16, 2016
Edgewood Maryland
I changed mine at 50hrs. and I was set up to do it. I didn't lose a cupish so it wasn't a big deal ..

But I thought the HST filter had a magnet that needed to be cleaned and swapped to the new filter and that will takes a little time, you think?

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
Well I can't remember but maybe its the hydraulic filter that has the magnet? You better check ..By the looks of it the Hydraulic filter has the magnet..I believe the Hydraulic filter is a bigger diameter allowing for the magnet.

Last edited:

melvinhatcher

Equipment
Feb 16, 2016
Edgewood Maryland
Well I can't remember but maybe its the hydraulic filter that has the magnet? You better check ..By the looks of it the Hydraulic filter has the magnet..I believe the Hydraulic filter is a bigger diameter allowing for the magnet.

You could very well be right, because this is my first rodeo and I have never changed a HST filter before.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No magnet on the HST filter, only on the hydraulic filter ;)

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Depends on how fast you are, or another way of saying it, how prepared you are and how much you like oil/fluid running down your arms and all over the ground.

Should be less than 2 quarts if you are moderately fast.:)

GD
This...I do it on mine...and actually don’t care about loosing a quart or two...just add new matching fluid in...some fresh hyd fluid is not an issue...