Transfer Pump

melvinhatcher

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525FEL, 66" QA BUCKET, L8455CRUISE CONTROL KIT, WR LONG 3RD FUNCITIO
Feb 16, 2016
Edgewood Maryland
Is it ok to use the same transfer pump to pump gasoline and diesel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
If you are using the same hose, then you could end up with a gallon or so mixed with every alternate transfer (depending on your hose volume). If just the pump you should be OK. In other words, be careful. Gasoline is flammable and diesel is combustible. Also, the gasoline is not good for the high pressure fuel pump on the diesel. It cuts the lubricity of the diesel and can (will) cause problems. If you are able to purge the hose, you should be OK.

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
The question is a little confusing..or should I say, open ended..
IF your replacing your diesel pump w/ a store bought unit{internet}, some say for gas or diesel.. some say or listed under, gasoline..
U have to watch out for the pressures too.. U have to know what pressure is required to run your machine properly..
Incase of a diesel to much pressure & the fuel will blow past the pumping plungers & fill the crank case w/ fuel.. TO LITTLE pressure & the inj. pump will starve & it wont run right.. or run at all..
I had a case or say, several cases where the customer "just replaced the pump" & now it wont run.. I checked his NEW supply pump & it was pumping alright.. about 2psi..
His inj. pump required 8.. I installed a NEW CORRECT supply pump & the problem was solved.
So the moral of the story is> just because u installed a NEW supply pump, doesn't mean the motor is gonna run..

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The question is a little confusing..or should I say, open ended..
IF your replacing your diesel pump w/ a store bought unit{internet}, some say for gas or diesel.. some say or listed under, gasoline..
U have to watch out for the pressures too.. U have to know what pressure is required to run your machine properly..
Incase of a diesel to much pressure & the fuel will blow past the pumping plungers & fill the crank case w/ fuel.. TO LITTLE pressure & the inj. pump will starve & it wont run right.. or run at all..
I had a case or say, several cases where the customer "just replaced the pump" & now it wont run.. I checked his NEW supply pump & it was pumping alright.. about 2psi..
His inj. pump required 8.. I installed a NEW CORRECT supply pump & the problem was solved.
So the moral of the story is> just because u installed a NEW supply pump, doesn't mean the motor is gonna run..
Partner, your answer is confusing! The original post is about a transfer pump, like pumping various fuels into a machine's fuel tank. How does this come into effect? "Incase of a diesel to much pressure & the fuel will blow past the pumping plungers & fill the crank case w/ fuel.. TO LITTLE pressure & the inj. pump will starve & it wont run right.. or run at all.."

The correct answer is to not get the wrong fuel into the tank, whatever it takes to clear the pump and line. Or you need another pump and hose.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I wouldn't recommend to do it.

The chances for disaster are too great! :eek:

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
With that, you can at least see what's left in the line. You sure don't want to mix it up.

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
WOW.. was I off the mark on that one.. Lol
I THOUGHT he was taking about a lift/supply pump on his tractor.!!??
U know the little electric pump that's between the tank & the filter/inj. pump..Lol
"I did say it was a little confusing"..Lol

melvinhatcher

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525FEL, 66" QA BUCKET, L8455CRUISE CONTROL KIT, WR LONG 3RD FUNCITIO
Feb 16, 2016
Edgewood Maryland
WOW.. was I off the mark on that one.. Lol
I THOUGHT he was taking about a lift/supply pump on his tractor.!!??
U know the little electric pump that's between the tank & the filter/inj. pump..Lol
"I did say it was a little confusing"..Lol

[emoji1417][emoji2][emoji1417]

cre73

Equipment
B2601
Jun 5, 2018
Central Illinois
I hope it isn't an issue I have been doing it for while. Use the same one for the boat and the tractor. Not the exact same pump you have but a very similar design.

melvinhatcher

Equipment
Feb 16, 2016
Edgewood Maryland
I use the little turbo pump to transfer gas to my lawnmowers, weed eaters and chainsaws and also to transfer diesel to my tractor. Between filling the little turbo pump is hung out to dry.
My boats [emoji571] is trailered to the cheapest local gas station.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Let me tell you this, once you introduce a little gasoline into the diesel of that L3301 and you smoke the High pressure pump, the parts and Labor to replace it will cost $4K to replace it, I'm betting you'll wish you would have just bought a different pump for each fuel type.

$16.95 for 2 pumps, so $8.48 versus $4K, you be the judge. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I hope it isn't an issue I have been doing it for while. Use the same one for the boat and the tractor. Not the exact same pump you have but a very similar design.
It won't be an issue till you toss parts, then you'll regret it!
You'll be a little better off then Melvin, you'll only need to replace a $700 injection pump. ;)

melvinhatcher

Equipment
Feb 16, 2016
Edgewood Maryland
[emoji23]lol[emoji23], I am taking your advice Wolfman.

melvinhatcher

Equipment
Feb 16, 2016
Edgewood Maryland
Let me tell you this, once you introduce a little gasoline into the diesel of that L3301 and you smoke the High pressure pump, the parts and Labor to replace it will cost $4K to replace it, I'm betting you'll wish you would have just bought a different pump for each fuel type.

$16.95 for 2 pumps, so $8.48 versus $4K, you be the judge. ;)

Message received, young man [emoji67]
Best regards
Melvin

Last edited: