Best Tractor For Us? Another B2650 / L2501 choice

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
What tires did you go with?
I am reconsidering things after Sheepfarmer's post. A lot of what I believe would be the "heavier" jobs for the tractor would be during construction of our place, after which loader work, snowblowing, maintaining trails with a bush hog etc. are the ongoing tasks. You saw my original list, no sense re-stating it lol .
I have the turfs, and love them. I watched a Messick's video where the tractor stalled out before the turfs broke traction. R4s will do most anything on your list, I went with turfs because they are wider and tear up the lawn less.

When I think of 'heavier' jobs where weight is a factor I think of plowing, disc-ing, sub soiling, etc. I don't do any of those things. If I did I would have went with a heavier tractor.

When I think of construction I think of digging trenches and footers, moving gravel and dirt, leveling, digging up stumps, etc. None of those things requires a 'heavier' tractor.

For snow removal, I don't know which is better, heavier or lighter. But in your case I think it may come down to if you will be using a front or rear snowblower. If you want to run a front mount, you'll want the mid pto which the L doesn't have. If you are running a rear mount they both have that, then it becomes just preference.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
For snow removal, I don't know which is better, heavier or lighter. But in your case I think it may come down to if you will be using a front or rear snowblower. If you want to run a front mount, you'll want the mid pto which the L doesn't have. If you are running a rear mount they both have that, then it becomes just preference.

Actuallu a mid pto is available for the L60 tractors, but best to choose option from factory . Not available for L01 series.

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
The B2650 is a premium rig, as are the B01's. The L2501 is a workhouse for it's size. As mentioned R3's are good in snow & turf work, R4's for loader work. If you go with the B2650, check out the Hybrid Goodyear R14 Skins.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Your wife wants the B. Happy wife, happy life. Why are we still discussing?

:)

Lots of people make this decision, and in general seems to me whichever one they buy they're happy, and I haven't heard a lot of buyers saying "I wish I'd bought the other." They're both good tractors and reasonably similar.

If you're mowing, and it's wet, I'd get the B. It'll mow better and chew your lawn up less. But I've always leaned towards the B a bit.

On the snow blower, you could leave the loader on the front, put forks on the back, and lift the blower on a pallet or directly on the forks. So you could transport the blower and bucket in one trip. You'd still have to take off the bucket, put on the blower, and vice versa. It doesn't snow here, but where it does lots of people swear a front mount blower is a lot better, worth thinking about.

ibringtheruckus

Equipment
shopping now
May 19, 2019
Ontario
Sound like mud/wet is a problem. Here's the solution!! https://www.powersportsid.com/inter...MIvIq82vSq4gIVBZ7ACh0-PAU6EAQYBSABEgKBVPD_BwE

Lol, those look like fun! Who needs a lawn anyways?!

:D:D
I have the turfs, and love them. I watched a Messick's video where the tractor stalled out before the turfs broke traction. R4s will do most anything on your list, I went with turfs because they are wider and tear up the lawn less.

When I think of 'heavier' jobs where weight is a factor I think of plowing, disc-ing, sub soiling, etc. I don't do any of those things. If I did I would have went with a heavier tractor.

When I think of construction I think of digging trenches and footers, moving gravel and dirt, leveling, digging up stumps, etc. None of those things requires a 'heavier' tractor.

So for loader work, moving lumber etc around, digging leveling, the weight difference of the two tractors isn't really that relevant? That is helpful info, I watched the Messicks tire videos as well, if we could get turfs with the puncture resistance of R4's there would be no question we would go with turfs.

ibringtheruckus

Equipment
shopping now
May 19, 2019
Ontario
Actuallu a mid pto is available for the L60 tractors, but best to choose option from factory . Not available for L01 series.
The B2650 is a premium rig, as are the B01's. The L2501 is a workhouse for it's size. As mentioned R3's are good in snow & turf work, R4's for loader work. If you go with the B2650, check out the Hybrid Goodyear R14 Skins.
Would love to own an L60, but the price-tag is just not going to happen lol.

All of them are pretty good, makes the choice / criteria for choosing difficult.
We have looked at the R14's online, haven't seen any in real life. How bad do they tear finished ground? What is the puncture resistance like?

ibringtheruckus

Equipment
shopping now
May 19, 2019
Ontario
Your wife wants the B. Happy wife, happy life. Why are we still discussing?

:)

Lots of people make this decision, and in general seems to me whichever one they buy they're happy, and I haven't heard a lot of buyers saying "I wish I'd bought the other." They're both good tractors and reasonably similar.

If you're mowing, and it's wet, I'd get the B. It'll mow better and chew your lawn up less. But I've always leaned towards the B a bit.

On the snow blower, you could leave the loader on the front, put forks on the back, and lift the blower on a pallet or directly on the forks. So you could transport the blower and bucket in one trip. You'd still have to take off the bucket, put on the blower, and vice versa. It doesn't snow here, but where it does lots of people swear a front mount blower is a lot better, worth thinking about.
Happy wife, happy life, that's usually my line lol.
In reality, my wife is a very rational person, if the L turns out to be a better fit for our needs ( both are neck-and-neck at this point) or better deal by a significant amount, she will be the first to point it out. And you are correct, whichever we get will in all likelihood be more than satisfactory.

Hadn't thought of forks on the rear, it certainly could work though, we'll have a look at that for logistics, thanks. If we put a quick-hitch on the 3pt, does that mean the ssqa loader pallet-forks would mount there? dual purpose forks would be worth looking at.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
If we put a quick-hitch on the 3pt, does that mean the ssqa loader pallet-forks would mount there? dual purpose forks would be worth looking at.
No. Not that I know of or without some re-engineering. How 'bout a 3 pt blower and you keep the loader bucket on? They are much less expensive, and you won't need the mid PTO.

There, now that I saved you several thousand, you can use that $ to get the crick out of your neck when you use the rear blower. ;)

ibringtheruckus

Equipment
shopping now
May 19, 2019
Ontario
No. Not that I know of or without some re-engineering. How 'bout a 3 pt blower and you keep the loader bucket on? They are much less expensive, and you won't need the mid PTO.

There, now that I saved you several thousand, you can use that $ to get the crick out of your neck when you use the rear blower. ;)
Thanks, I couldn't see how it would work, but worth asking.

Will the 3pt be that bad? I always see guys sitting kinda sideways, thought it could work not bad?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I have rear mount forks on my BX. They were quite inexpensive. I'm going to move to a B and planning to get SSQA when I do, and was planning to weld a SSQA attach onto those forks, making them suit both needs. It looks to me like the SSQA plate will cost nearly as much as I paid for the forks, and make them substantially heavier at the same time (at the moment I can move them around by hand). I may just buy one set of each, which would mean that when I have a lot to carry I can have forks both ends. Still working that through.

On the blowing and front v's rear mount again, probably depends how often you snow blow. From the fact you're blowing and not using a push box, blade or bucket, I assume you have quite a lot of snow, and therefore also quite a few times per year. And you mention both blowing at your house and your parents, so sounds like something you'll spend a reasonable amount of time doing. As I said, no snow my place, but those who get a lot of snow seem to think a cab and front mount make a massive difference.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Thanks, I couldn't see how it would work, but worth asking.

Will the 3pt be that bad? I always see guys sitting kinda sideways, thought it could work not bad?
Can't speak for others as I don't have a rear blower. I do use a rear blade for all my snow removal and have been doing so for a dozen years. I'm used to sitting sideways.

Then again, we don't get lots and lots of snow here in eastern pa...and the stuff we do get is usually a few inches of wet , heavy slop that would choke a snow blower anyway. The rear blade simply works better for me (and is quite a bit cheaper and has more than one use). I have two driveways, one in asphalt, the other in millings. A rear blade will easily do both types...not happening with a blower here.

ibringtheruckus

Equipment
shopping now
May 19, 2019
Ontario
I have rear mount forks on my BX. They were quite inexpensive. I'm going to move to a B and planning to get SSQA when I do, and was planning to weld a SSQA attach onto those forks, making them suit both needs. It looks to me like the SSQA plate will cost nearly as much as I paid for the forks, and make them substantially heavier at the same time (at the moment I can move them around by hand). I may just buy one set of each, which would mean that when I have a lot to carry I can have forks both ends. Still working that through.

On the blowing and front v's rear mount again, probably depends how often you snow blow. From the fact you're blowing and not using a push box, blade or bucket, I assume you have quite a lot of snow, and therefore also quite a few times per year. And you mention both blowing at your house and your parents, so sounds like something you'll spend a reasonable amount of time doing. As I said, no snow my place, but those who get a lot of snow seem to think a cab and front mount make a massive difference.
The rear forks I am definitely going to check out.
When we get snow we tend to get what the weather forecast calls "lake effect snow" and it drifts up. If we get 10" of snow, I might have a driveway 10" deep, or I might have a driveway where the road end is clear to the gravel but the house end is 18-20" wind packed drift.

Can't speak for others as I don't have a rear blower. I do use a rear blade for all my snow removal and have been doing so for a dozen years. I'm used to sitting sideways.

Then again, we don't get lots and lots of snow here in eastern pa...and the stuff we do get is usually a few inches of wet , heavy slop that would choke a snow blower anyway. The rear blade simply works better for me (and is quite a bit cheaper and has more than one use). I have two driveways, one in asphalt, the other in millings. A rear blade will easily do both types...not happening with a blower here.
In some ways the rear blade makes a lot of sense, being dual purpose.

Appreciate the input from everyone, it's helpful to hear the solutions that others have tried and how they feel it worked out or if they would do the same again.