Too Much Winterizer?

greeno

Equipment
B2710 w/LA402 FEL, BL4690 hoe, RB1560, GS1560, Haban 5' sickle bar, 5' JD RC
Jul 14, 2018
Big Lake MN
Before I put the B2710 away after deer season I was in a hurry and dumped “some” Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement and some anti-algae into my full tank and jerry can.

Now that it’s warm-ish finally will I have a problem if I added too much? Like maybe 16oz DFS and 8oz anti-algae into the tractor tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
WOW that really is a lot considering 15oz can treat 100s of gallons of fuel.
One 16oz container of additive will last me for YEARS.

In any case, can you top up the tank with fresh fuel in an effort to dilute the additive somewhat?

I would expect your engine may not notice at all... your wallet may feel it the worst. (additive cost more than straight diesel)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Before I put the B2710 away after deer season I was in a hurry and dumped ***8220;some***8221; Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement and some anti-algae into my full tank and jerry can.

Now that it***8217;s warm-ish finally will I have a problem if I added too much? Like maybe 16oz DFS and 8oz anti-algae into the tractor tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope, it's not going to hurt anything. ;)
Except like BruceP noted: your wallet! :p

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It's not my tractor so I say burn it.

(Put it on the wood pile and burn it.)

Ask the power service people and the algae stuff people and Kubota factory rep. (not dealer) see what they say. I don't think they'll advise you to run it in your tractor. (The biocide and the fuel stabilizers I use BOTH warn against over-dosing.) YMMV

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
The biggest problem with diesel additives is that they don't lubricate the injection pump properly. Your tractor was manufactured in 2005 or earlier it would seem. Back then, you got "low sulfur diesel." Starting in 2007, I think, we went to "ultra low sulfur diesel" to help reduce emissions. Well, the sulfur was a primary lubricant in the fuel. Some engines / pumps have had trouble with this fuel, but the diesel additives are even worse. They are great to help prevent gelling, but not a great idea for excessive use, especially in warm weather. The good news is that tractor engines tend to be pretty resilient to bad fuel, unlike say a road vehicle. You could probably just run it without issue, but you might think about adding a diesel lubricity enhancer to your mix. You could also drain / siphon a few gallons of fuel out of the tank and top off with fresh fuel. More than likely just running it will be fine though.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
***8230;. you might think about adding a diesel lubricity enhancer to your mix. ...
Wouldn't that just dilute the actual diesel even more...:confused:

Draining the tank, refilling with only fresh diesel, and using the drained additive-fuel to treat fresh fuel would dilute the additives closer to what should have been done in the first place. Just do the math. IMO

I'm guessing none of us here on the web will have to pay for any damage to his equipment the advice leads to...

Yeah, that's the ticket. Go ahead and use it in YOUR tractor!

(I just offered what I'd do if it were Mine.)

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Wouldn't that just dilute the actual diesel even more...:confused:

Draining the tank, refilling with only fresh diesel, and using the drained additive-fuel to treat fresh fuel would dilute the additives closer to what should have been done in the first place. Just do the math. IMO

I'm guessing none of us here on the web will have to pay for any damage to his equipment the advice leads to...

Yeah, that's the ticket. Go ahead and use it in YOUR tractor!

(I just offered what I'd do if it were Mine.)
You can add as much lubricity as you like without harming diesel. I always ran Ford Motorcraft PM22 Cetane Boost and Lubricity Enhancer to my Ford diesels and since I have some left over continue to run it in my new RAM Cummins. I've also run it in my B2920.

But yeah, full drain and refill would be the "safest" although I still think just run it and not worry about it would be fine. But like you say, his tractor, his risk.