Stabilizer Cylinder

rcinspector

Equipment
Kubota L- 35
May 21, 2019
Elyria, Ohio
I'm new to forum & owning a tractor, so any help is appreciated. I bought a 2001 Kubota L35 TLB. Everything(so far) is good except I found a leak in the Stabilizer Cylinder it's the fitting on the side of the cylinder that the hydraulic lines connect to, there are 2 fitting one on each end of the cylinder. It's just a drip that I noticed after being parked on pavement overnight. It looks like it had broken before and was welded back on the cylinder. Can this be welded/ brazed while still together and on the backhoe? Is this fitting threaded into the cylinder? I have the books but does not show how it's attached and a part number for the plug is all I can find. Any suggestion? Thank you.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have attached Ralph's photos.

Clearly someone made a fitting very badly in order to attach a hose with a wrong end.

Dave

p.s. there is a sixth photo which was one too many

Attachments

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Can this be welded/ brazed while still together and on the backhoe? Any suggestion? Thank you.
Working alone in my shop for 27 years I've gotten out of trouble in many unorthodox ways... that being said, I wouldn't try it. Looks like they caught the banjo bolt with the weld. Take the fitting to the nearest hydraulic shop... they should be able to help you. If it's not available anywhere, drill and tap to closest NPT. NPT to JIS (or) JIC 90 degree fittings are easy to find. If there's not enough material there, a NPT bung can be (properly) welded to the cylinder. Note that both drilling / welding options may require disassembly. If you're careful with drilling or tapping, let the fluid run out of the cylinder as you're working to flush out the cuttings.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
A real easy inexpensive fix is to disconnect the hose and remove the fitting in the cylinder. Grind the bird crap looking weld down and use a wire welder to weld correctly. Or, take the cobbled fitting to hydraulic supply house and get new fitting that fits your hose connection.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Ralph

Suggest you unscrew the fitting from the cylinder. It looks like an Allen or hex wrench.

Take pictures of the fitting and the cylinder where the fitting attaches and email to me.

Also take a more overall picture of the cylinder so I can see what the bent metal tube is which just appears in some of your photos.

In your first post you mentioned limited tractor knowledge. I need to make certain you understand the risks posed by leaking hydraulic fluid. It can be injected through your skin or eyes necessitating emergency treatment. It can be a leak so small as to be invisible.

Dave

Bob in WV

Equipment
B 3200, BX 2370
Nov 7, 2018
Lost Creek, WV, USA
It may be leaking from the oring under that allen screw. I had one leaking and didn't know it had an oring in there until a friend told me about it. I had a Harbor Freight oring kit and found one that fit in it. Yours is welded shut though.

Bob in WV

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Looking at that first picture, I'd be inclined to take the cyl. to a shop and have a new spud welded on to match ready available connections. Then the problem is solved for good!

rcinspector

Equipment
Kubota L- 35
May 21, 2019
Elyria, Ohio
Sorry it took so long to update my post.Thanks for the reply's. I took the cylinder off and to a hydro shop they welded on a new fitting and put a new end on the hydro line. $314.00 later I have it back on the Kubota. I still have to paint it.I'll try to post a pic. Thanks again.