Titan 48" tooth bar

Toyman

Equipment
B7100HST, 1630, 4' Tiller, 4' Rotary Mower; M4050 (SOLD) Woods Cadet 84
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
I ordered a 48" toothbar from Titan (palletforks.com) on Wednesday 5/8 and they arrived Friday 5/10:D The packaging was a cardboard sheet folded longwise over the bar and taped in the middle and then the short ends were folded over the ends of the tooth bar and taped. But they arrived in decent condition. I unpacked and set the bar in my bucket. The 47 1/4" spec length was good, but when I looked at the right side mount it was out of square, both horizontally & vertically. I took pictures and sent them off to Titan and received an email with an apology and that a new toothbar was shipping out, along with an RMA for fedex to pick up at my door. I was impressed with the quick and effective CS. I rec'd another email with a $0 invoice with a note saying that I would receive shipping information the next business day (Monday). It never came. I emailed the CS rep on Tuesday, Wednesday, and then I sent a message via their website. I finally got an email back yesterday with tracking info and it was delivered yesterday. I unpacked the bar which was packed the same as the first. I placed it in the bucket and..........it doesn't fit. This one is a full 48", not 47 1/4". I could hit it with a grinder and get it in, but as I looked at it more closely, the mounting tab was again out of square.:mad: So I sent another email that was a little less understanding. They said that they would refund my $ or send me a new one. I thought about it and decided that they can continue to send me a toothbar until they get it right. I have bought a good deal of products from this company over the past 5 years, as they also make weight lifting equipment, and was aware that there is the potential for issues. This is the first time I've had an issue like this. So, just a buyer beware. I feel like they will make it right, but that doesn't eliminate the frustration. Here's a few pics. first & second set respectively:

Attachments

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Toyman,

Hard to tell from your pics but, can't you simply add 1-2 washers between the mounting tab and your bucket wall and simply pull it in with the bolt?

I add washers on mine the same way so that the mounting tabs do not make contact with the inside wall of the bucket. This makes the tooth bar much easier to take off (and put back on). Been doing this with the same kind of bar (ATI) for a long time.

If you're worried about bending the side of the bucket (when snugging the bolt) cut a piece of 2x4 to span the inside of the bucket (side to side) and crank away on the bolt to bend the mounting tabs. You can then remove the 2x4 anyway you see fit.

Anyway, just a suggestion...take it for what it's worth.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm thinking you're being a little picky for something that digs in the dirt, the first picture looks like a swat with a hammer and it's a perfect fit, the second picture looks too sloppy!

I get that you want the best, but it's a b7100 farm tractor not a Aston Martin.

Last edited:

Toyman

Equipment
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
Toyman,

Hard to tell from your pics but, can't you simply add 1-2 washers between the mounting tab and your bucket wall and simply pull it in with the bolt?

I add washers on mine the same way so that the mounting tabs do not make contact with the inside wall of the bucket. This makes the tooth bar much easier to take off (and put back on). Been doing this with the same kind of bar (ATI) for a long time.

If you're worried about bending the side of the bucket (when snugging the bolt) cut a piece of 2x4 to span the inside of the bucket (side to side) and crank away on the bolt to bend the mounting tabs. You can then remove the 2x4 anyway you see fit.

Anyway, just a suggestion...take it for what it's worth.
That will be my action plan for tooth bar #3, if it comes the same way. More likely I planned on cutting enough of the weld to bend the mounting tab where it should be and re-weld it. But....I admit I did not think of the 2x4 solution, so thanks! The problem is/was that I really didn't want to have to cut/grind/bend/beat with a sledge a new piece. I'll post back when I know more.

rokhunter

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Dec 28, 2018
Baker, Florida, United States
I'm thinking you're being a little picky for something that digs in the dirt, the first picture looks like a swat with a hammer and it's a perfect fit, the second picture looks too sloppy!

I get that you want the best, but it's a b7100 farm tractor not a Aston Martin.
For what it's worth...my bxpanded tooth bar fit like a glove with around 1/16" gap between the side brackets and the bucket.

When you're putting out a couple hundred bucks for something, I'd say expecting a good fit is not unreasonable. :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

crippler

Equipment
KUBOTA Bx23s, KUBOTA B6200, KUBOTA B7400, KUBOTA B7800, Mitsubishi D1500 II
May 25, 2014
Carthage NY
If you watch the online video most of them come this way for ease of bolting in. Its suppose to straighten out when its bolted.

Toyman

Equipment
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
I knew I would need washer(s) since the width of the bar was 3/4" shorter than the bucket (48" inside bucket to 47 1/4" advertised length). I didn't want to have 1 washer on the first bolt and 3-4 washer on the second bolt of the same side, but I guess that's a personal opinion:D Anyway, with the second bar not fitting at all and Titan's CS being a little less helpful, I'll see how this all goes. I'll likely be doing a little convincing to the toothbar that finally gets installed and put it to work.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I knew I would need washer(s) since the width of the bar was 3/4" shorter than the bucket (48" inside bucket to 47 1/4" advertised length). I didn't want to have 1 washer on the first bolt and 3-4 washer on the second bolt of the same side, but I guess that's a personal opinion:D Anyway, with the second bar not fitting at all and Titan's CS being a little less helpful, I'll see how this all goes. I'll likely be doing a little convincing to the toothbar that finally gets installed and put it to work.
If only metal would bend when you HIT IT WITH A HAMMER. :p

Don't make me fly out there with a hammer!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Toyman

Equipment
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
If only metal would bend when you HIT IT WITH A HAMMER. :p

Don't make me fly out there with a hammer!
I dare you:cool:

If it was gonna get bent, I wanted to be while it was working, not before it was installed!

But I get your point.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Hey guys, that thing is not bendable or it would have been bent by the delivery service!

But wait a minute, I once had a piece of metal that didn't quit fit and I put a bolt in where it needed to go, and as I tightened the nut on the bolt it was all drawn together. That might work here.

Toyman

Equipment
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
Hey guys, that thing is not bendable or it would have been bent by the delivery service!

But wait a minute, I once had a piece of metal that didn't quit fit and I put a bolt in where it needed to go, and as I tightened the nut on the bolt it was all drawn together. That might work here.
It would definitely be drawn together, but the (much thinner) bucket side would pull to the mounting plate. Dirtydeed provided a good suggestion of putting a 2x4 between the bucket sides to keep that from happening. I haven't gotten any response from Titan today on a new one being shipped or shipping this one back, so I may have to do some work on it after all.:confused:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Or, you could take a piece of steel out of the scrap pile (surely you have some odd piece of metal laying around) and drill the appropriate size hole in it a use it as a washer on the outside of your bucket. Then when the reformed piece is in place remove the temporary plate and use a flat washer is needed.

I have a friend who a real perfectionist, anal thinker who owns a milling machine and a lathe. He always insist going to his place to machine a part to make something we're working on to make it WORK (and it has to measured with a micrometer and fabricated out of the appropriate material). I have to remind him "we're not working on a space shuttle", and make it while he say, "I can't believe it!". Life doesn't have to be complicated.

Toyman

Equipment
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
Or, you could take a piece of steel out of the scrap pile (surely you have some odd piece of metal laying around) and drill the appropriate size hole in it a use it as a washer on the outside of your bucket. Then when the reformed piece is in place remove the temporary plate and use a flat washer is needed.

I have a friend who a real perfectionist, anal thinker who owns a milling machine and a lathe. He always insist going to his place to machine a part to make something we're working on to make it WORK (and it has to measured with a micrometer and fabricated out of the appropriate material). I have to remind him "we're not working on a space shuttle", and make it while he say, "I can't believe it!". Life doesn't have to be complicated.

This is exactly why I contacted Titan to send one out that was welded square. There's a million and one ways to 'fix' a brand new piece of equipment along with a million and two ways it's going to work against me. Again, I still haven't heard anything from them so I may have to decide if I'm going to try to get a refund or my method to correct, which would be to cut and reweld the way it should be.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
With the wait others are talking about I think I'd be inclined to make it work. A couple hours of use and nobody will know it wasn't prefect.

You could use a grinder with a cutoff wheel and cut a kerf on the backside of the toothbar and inside of that attaching bar. Just an 1/8" or so to make it easier to bend with a hammer, then weld the kerf. Wouldn't take but a few minutes if you have the tools! OR you could just smack it a couple of times with a 8# sledge and be done with it.

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
While I'm aware, it's not Titan, I seem to recall someone on the Piranha Tooth Bar thread with the same issue. When he called BxPanded, they told him the mounting bracket is soft metal for the express reason of having it pull to the bucket when tightened. Might that not be the case here? I don't know how heavy your bucket is, but the bucket on the BX is none too heavy- I wondered if it might pull in when tightened, but it didn't. Seems they are a lot stiffer than one might give them credit for.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
..."we're not working on a space shuttle"...
...or we'd lie to you and tell you everything will be just fine on re-entry...we had engineering look at it and everythings fine....We're just telling you about it so you won't be surprised in front of the cameras if after landing the news media asks you about that left wing... :mad:

(Yes, that really happened.)

Last edited:

Toyman

Equipment
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
So after excellent customer service on replacing the first toothbar, and an email stating that I could replace or get a refund on the second, Titan has ghosted me.:confused: When I received the email I replied back that I would like to have it replaced. Sent 2 additional follow-ups as they were normally not more than 24 hours with their replies, and have heard nothing. So it looks like they may not honor either option and I'll be left to cut down the current one and re-weld it to fit my bucket. Just doesn't seem right to pay full price for something that needs repaired, but it is what it is. Just be aware if you're planning on purchasing from Titan.

skypros

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 2, 2018
Bend, OR
You won't hear anymore from them, For anyone thinks this company is Customer friendly.... they are mistaken.
Unfortunately.... You are going to have to fix the deformed toothbar yourself....

Sent 2 additional follow-ups as they were normally not more than 24 hours with their replies, and have heard nothing. So it looks like they may not honor either option and I'll be left to cut down the current one and re-weld it to fit my bucket. Just doesn't seem right to pay full price for something that needs repaired, but it is what it is. Just be aware if you're planning on purchasing from Titan.

Toyman

Equipment
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
You won't hear anymore from them, For anyone thinks this company is Customer friendly.... they are mistaken.
Unfortunately.... You are going to have to fix the deformed toothbar yourself....
Crazy enough, I got an email from 'Jan' at 1:19am. Said he/she was 'out':rolleyes: and asked if I wanted a refund. I told him/her to send another bar and an RMA just like I stated in my last email. It also said that they needed the photo of the shipping label to 'check/validate if we sent you the correct item'. I wonder how many others keep the piece of cardboard that they wrap the bars in? I'm glad I did, since I'm sure they don't have the shipping information at their place of business :confused::confused: Anyway, I'll post back when I hear more. Very disappointing, I've been a pretty happy customer of theirs for the past 4-5 years until now.