L2050 Fuel and stalling problem.

conquistador

Equipment
L2050DT and Hopefully Soon M5660 SUHD
Apr 15, 2009
South Central KY
Ok, so here is the backstory. I am pretty sure I ran some dirty diesel out of my transfer tank in my L2050. Shortly after filling up it started bogging down and stalled. Could not get it started back so pulled it back to the house and drained the tank and swapped filters. Followed the extremely handy directions provided on this site for purging the fuel lines and got it back running. Threw the 3pt spreader on and spread a 50lb bag of triple 10 on a 100x40yard plot for our vegetable farm. Got done and drove back to the house and it suddenly lost power and died. Would not start. It was a drop from 2500 rpm to 2000 to 1000 and then stall. Thinking that maybe I hadn't gotten all of the air out, I repeated the purge today. This time when I opened the air purge valve on the side fuel poured out. I put the bolt back in and cranked the engine and it fired and ran fine. Spread another 100x50 yard plot and when done it did the same thing, gradual loss of power then it died.

What's going on?? Do Instill have air in the lines? It's like it's not getting fuel. It will fire back for about 3 seconds and die. What should I look for? Desperate because this is my main tractor on my 3 acre veggie farm here in Kentucky.

Thanks!!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok, so here is the backstory. I am pretty sure I ran some dirty diesel out of my transfer tank in my L2050. Shortly after filling up it started bogging down and stalled. Could not get it started back so pulled it back to the house and drained the tank and swapped filters. Followed the extremely handy directions provided on this site for purging the fuel lines and got it back running. Threw the 3pt spreader on and spread a 50lb bag of triple 10 on a 100x40yard plot for our vegetable farm. Got done and drove back to the house and it suddenly lost power and died. Would not start. It was a drop from 2500 rpm to 2000 to 1000 and then stall. Thinking that maybe I hadn't gotten all of the air out, I repeated the purge today. This time when I opened the air purge valve on the side fuel poured out. I put the bolt back in and cranked the engine and it fired and ran fine. Spread another 100x50 yard plot and when done it did the same thing, gradual loss of power then it died.

What's going on?? Do Instill have air in the lines? It's like it's not getting fuel. It will fire back for about 3 seconds and die. What should I look for? Desperate because this is my main tractor on my 3 acre veggie farm here in Kentucky.

Thanks!!!
Was the contaminated fuel contaminated with water or algae?

Start at the tank and start pulling fuel lines and check for good flow, do this in steps all the way to the injection pump.
Also some models have a screen on the in line of the fuel filter housing and that can get clogged and cause issues.

Also when you changed the filter did you change the 2 O-rings, a leaking filter housing can suck air too.

Check all of the lines for any cracks too.

conquistador

Equipment
L2050DT and Hopefully Soon M5660 SUHD
Apr 15, 2009
South Central KY
Was the contaminated fuel contaminated with water or algae?

Start at the tank and start pulling fuel lines and check for good flow, do this in steps all the way to the injection pump.
Also some models have a screen on the in line of the fuel filter housing and that can get clogged and cause issues.

Also when you changed the filter did you change the 2 O-rings, a leaking filter housing can suck air too.

Check all of the lines for any cracks too.
Thanks! I'll check in the morning. Didn't know that about the O-rings. I do know that after the tractor dies and I open the purge screw on the side of the engine by the injectors no fuel comes out until I loosen the fuel filter. I'm guessing some vacuum is forming?

I'll check all the stuff ulyou said in the morning.