Risks of operating tractor from a standing position?

meackerman

Dec 1, 2014
Northern California
I stand up on occasion to get a better view of what's in front of me, but it only when I'm creeping along. Seems too easy to hit an unexpected bump when operating the tractor while moving at any speed and take a tumble.

Homestead

Mar 6, 2013
Sundre, Alberta
I know this is my first post but I have been gathering info on my purchase for sometime but I can relate to this post.

A week ago, my neighbor was buried after a tractor accident. He had it 2 days, brand new. He always felt the seat disconnect was a pain so disabled it on everything he owned.

We still haven't EXACTLY figured out how this happened but he was travelling through his yard and caught or clipped a fence post which flipped the tractor. The tractor made an almost complete roll but him ended up on the underside of it. I found him with the tractor running and he was just being churned to nothing.

How much is your life worth? Is a couple of instances of not seeing something worth dieing for? It's the same as buying a motorcycle helmet, how much is your head worth?

Learn to run your machinery the way it is intended to So you can go home to the family.

Sorry for the first post but I felt I had to chime in here.

Jeff

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Homestead, welcome to the forum. You give a first hand example of what could happen, because it did happen to your neighbor and you witnessed the result.

Sad to say, but there are folks who will always declare those things happen to others, no way it can happen to them. When it does, it's often too late.

Sorry for the loss of your friend and neighbor.

Dalroo

Equipment
MX4800DT
Aug 24, 2015
Brookesmith, TX
Sorry for the loss - terrible story, but appreciate your sharing so others can learn.

I am a relative newbie on tractors - 100 hours on my own, and maybe another 100 over the years on rented, borrowed tractors, as well as fork lifts, a backhoe, and skid steers. NO WAY am I planning to disconnect any safety device on mine. And maybe I am too safety conscious (if possible), but I feel naked even moving my tractor from point A to point B without my seatbelt on and my rear firmly planted on the seat.

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
Interesting comment so far. I have several tractors and only one has any safety switches on them. I have always tried to be careful so they were not needed. You have to look at the switch thing from Kubota's point. They make tractors to sell and they have no control over who buys them or how much experence anyone has that does buy them. I would think with the engineers they have they could have came up with a better seat switch that does not suck so much. My skid steer has one in the middle of the seat that locks the hys if you are not sitting on it. Mine got bypassed once by the dealer and I almost payed for it. Lets just say the dealer and I had some words.
M switch is still hooked up but I have a certain job that it may get temp disabled. I look at anything like this. I bought it and it is mine, if I do anything to it and get hurt I am at fault no one else. The best switch they ever came up with is on the clutch or so i cannot be started in gear
I wear bibs because on my older years I developed an overhang and they work better. One thing with these is the pants legs are large and it will hook the gear shift ot PTO lever another good switch. 0 years of running different equit from dozers to tractors and I will say what I told my son. If I ever catch you leaving the seat with the PTO running you will feel my boot. I am proud to say he told the same thing to his son, of couse he did not know I was listening. It made me grin

Boo

Equipment
MX5800; BH92, BB2572, Forks 3048
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
Actually, I think the danger is operating a tractor, not disabling the switches. I have chain saws that can cut me, ATVs that can roll over, cars that can hit trees and bridges, and ladders that I can fall from.

If we really want to be safe, hire someone else to do your tractor work, cut your limbs, drive your cars and ATVs, and climb your ladders.

If I need to see enough to hook up to a front implement, I have to either lean waaaay out (which kills the engine) or stand up (which kills the engine). Seems to me, that seat safety switch is installed by someone who doesn't want a liability lawsuit. Therefore, our ability to change implements doesn't factor in - for that person. It does for me.

I have purchased devices to enable me to have a front facing camera, but that is a whole different problem. The tractor is not wired for one.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Homestead, welcome to the forum. Lots of great people here.
Its unfortunate you had to witness such a tragedy. Thank you for sharing so
perhaps others may learn from it.

I spent more than 1/2 my life in,on and under all kinds of machinery. It all needs to be treated with respect. Whether you are operating ,repairing or just a bystander,there is a risk. Safety switches minimize some of that risk.

Having a similar discussion in the coffee shop, one gentleman has a mirror mounted to see around the front of his tractor.that would help to keep the rear end planted where it should be.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
It isn't just for bad weather/water conditions. It helps when there are people out there that you don't know their intoxication level or boat driving abilities. You don't hook the kill switch up to your body, you put it on your life jacket. Its a small thing that lets you go home at the end of the day. You might be shaken up and scared, but you get to go home to your loved ones.
I don't wear my life jacket just cruising. I've been around and on boats all my life. you only dawn PPE when the conditions warrant the precaution. a sunny clear day doesn't justify it unless on a personal watercraft.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I read some of these posts and really wonder when the gene pool is gona be cleaned again,, Trust me the,, IT CANT HAPPEN TO ME attatude,,, has killed and injured more people than any one could ever believe. And when things go south they are the ones that cry the most,, seen it way to many times

Boo

Equipment
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
Well, I am at the age where I have sold my motorcycles and my skydiving and scuba rigs. Now, I drive my tractor. If the gene pool is going to be cleaned, I'd have been gone a long time ago.

If we want to be safe and snug, I hear needle punch can be nice, but we probably need rubber tips on the needles. :D

Swando

Equipment
Kubota L3301 tractor
Mar 3, 2017
Fairfield, Idaho
I would not disable the OPC switch. Mine had been disabled by previous owner so I fixed it. I was using my hand to push the HST petal while standing on the ground. The petal slightly sticks when cold and tractor hit my truck and nearly ran over my foot. Sit squarely on the seat and all is good. If you have to stand up just stop moving.

Boo

Equipment
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
Simply put, operating the pedal from the ground can very well end up with one wishing his or her boots had steel toes. Almost happened to me once.

However, when I have to be meticulous with the position of the front implement, I have to see what I am doing. I cannot do that when sitting down. I have found it very comfortable to have my body secured at three points (very stable) when I am on both feet and holding the steering wheel while operating the joy stick.

It works well, and I get the job done much more easily. All my moves are at a crawl because of the type of movements I have to do. It is not all all dangerous.

I don't need the tractor manufacturer to override my common sense, or anyone else for that matter. Maybe one day the manufacturers will put a video monitor system on tractors that allow them to have a very clear image of events that happen in front of the tractor that is not visible to the operator and remove the need to stand up. Until then, I do what I need to do.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
We are all big boys, and if some want to disable the safety switch under the seat, it only takes a second and a zip tie to do so. I did, it was driving me crazy! Maybe we should wear helmets also? Paying attention and working within the limitations of the equipment is the key. For the tractor newbie, leave it as is , always wear your seatbelt, always have your ROPS in the full up and locked position. For those of us doing without, we do it with full knowledge of the whys and the wherefors, and just maybe we pay attention and know how to operate the equipment. Tractors have been killing people for decades, and NOT killing others for decades, the lawyers for Kubota can try all they want to make them idiot proof, and good for them, but that seat switch was a non starter for me. that's a joke.

We had a local farmer, and this is a true story, who flipped his tractor and it crushed his leg so bad he lost it, amputated. 25 years later he did the same thing, with the same tractor, and again got his right leg pinned. But the second time he unstrapped the leg and crawled away, so that's one way to handle it, not recommended!