Gear Grinding

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
On my L225 if I sit a while with engine running; hopping off to remove something in the way for example, it wont go back in gear... almost like the clutch is not engaged (but is). Same for PTO lever. If I turn off the tractor and put in gear or PTO, restart and drive on then it will switch gears fine after that with no grinding.

Any thoughts?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
On my L225 if I sit a while with engine running; hopping off to remove something in the way for example, it wont go back in gear... almost like the clutch is not engaged (but is). Same for PTO lever. If I turn off the tractor and put in gear or PTO, restart and drive on then it will switch gears fine after that with no grinding.

Any thoughts?
you sure the clutch is "adjusted" .....as it wears, slack needs to be taken up.....

there should be 19/32 ( ok I made that up ) of free movement.........in the manual there is the number.....

that is weird that once in gear, it works fine......mmmmmmmmmmm

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Before going for the expensive stuff, make certain the engine is at a low idle for a few seconds before trying to engage a gear. Of course the free play adjustments need to be set correctly and if there is a cross shaft with bushing supporting the clutch pedal they need to not have slop which just uses up the clutch pedal movement without depressing the clutch release bearing.
Dave M7040

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Good input thanks