Help...Chains adjustment

msupal

Apr 24, 2014
maurepas, louisiana
I am a new tractor owner, i have a L3200 with a bushhog mower. my lower 3point attachment arms keep rubbing the inside of my tires. do i need to shorten my chains or????

Thanks in advance for any advice.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Shorten the chains until you have only about an inch of side to side play in the mower deck. Then make sure you lock them tightly - they have a tendency to work themselves loose! Somewhere on my 10 qcres is a turnbuckle from my old L185. I never did find it. I painted the replacement Kubota orange!
If you are using R1s consider widening their wheels to the widest stance. If using R4s, maybe you should have some rear wheel spacers. Up north here we need them with R4s to allow tire chains, but that should not be a problem for you. I don't know of any issues with turf tires.
Finally, if the mower is old and worn, maybe the 3ph pins are bent out? Or possibly you have a mower for Type 1 and 2 hitches; use the inside slots.
Many of the members have gotten pin-adjustable chains from Hodge and are delighted with them.

msupal

Apr 24, 2014
maurepas, louisiana
Thanks for the info. i will adjust that way and see if that solves my problem.
mower deck is a year old and did not see any bent pins. i may install spacer to give me a little more room.

Thanks for your reply.

i will let you know how it works.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
What size mower are you using? On some cat 1 and cat 2 implements, the frame is wider, which puts the arms closer to the tires.
It is common on the L series tractors, depending on the tires used and the backspacing of the rims, for the tires to rub the turnbuckles when an implement is installed- even if things are tightened down. A narrower implement frame is about the only thing that will help.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
It may also be possible to turn the pins on the implement so they point toward the inside instead of the outside.

This will move the arms together quite a bit and help avoid interference with the tires.

apeckham

Equipment
L3800HST, Buhler 6' Finish Mower, Land Pride APS500, Land Pride RB3774
Feb 24, 2014
Corning, IA, USA
msupal I'd highly recommend the Hodge stabilzers. I put a set on my L3800 and it makes mounting/dismounting implements a snap and they are easily adjustable with the pin arrangement. You can do a search on this site and get lots of feedback.

Attachments

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
When I put dualies on my L185 the inner tires were pretty narrow. I had to turn the pins around - facing inward instead of outward - on my brush hog to stop the arms from rubbing the tires.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
It may also be possible to turn the pins on the implement so they point toward the inside instead of the outside.

This will move the arms together quite a bit and help avoid interference with the tires.
I did that on my tiller. It worked well. It won't work on some implements, though.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
msupal I'd highly recommend the Hodge stabilzers. I put a set on my L3800 and it makes mounting/dismounting implements a snap and they are easily adjustable with the pin arrangement. You can do a search on this site and get lots of feedback.
I'll Never go back to the turnbuckle type after using this style!!!

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Regardless of convenience of adjustable "chains", the quick hitch is much better than to fool with adjusting anything as long as your tool fits the 27" typical of quick hitches for Cat I.

Check out Harbor Freight. Its good quality.