What would you say....

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Got a call from my neighbor. He wanted to borrow my B3200 to do some brush hogging. Since he is right next door and I know what needs hogged on his property, I was initially open to the idea. As we talked and I got more info, he is flipping a house and wants to do grading, brush clearing and driveway work on this property a few miles away. He would not be running the tractor, but would have a local contractor on it. What initially was a couple hours turned in to 4-5 days of unknown wear and tear on my Kubota. He offered to give me a couple hundred bucks and fuel.

It was easy for me to say that I was not comfortable or covered insurance wise for this and would not be able to loan him my tractor for a week. A bit protective on my part? I don't think so. How about you?

Ortimber

Sep 27, 2016
Oregon
I think I would’ve done the same thing. While I’m always willing to help friends and family, sometimes you have to set reasonable limits.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would "only" allow him to borrow MY tractor .......if'n I was in the seat!!!!

I would also have a "statement" that anything "unusual" pops up.....he is to pay - like a flat tire or ..........

YOU are not being protective at all.

YOUR reason is a good one too and a nice way of saying you cannot do it - thus your insurance coverage.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
The local contractor doesn't have or can't rent a machine? Unreal that your neighbor would ask such a favor from you.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I had my next door neighbor ask to borrow my NEW L3560HSTC just a couple of months after I got it. He said he wanted to skid out some logs and didn't want to "wreck" his tractor because he needed it for the up-coming winter. I said 'NO'! Talked to his neighbor on the other side and he said this neighbor borrowed his tractor one time and "rolled it" and called him and said 'come and get your tractor' and didn't tell him he rolled it. When he got there, he had to get his son to help right the tractor as the neighbor was no where to be found and then had to fix it with no restitution from the borrower. NEVER lend your tractor to a neighbor unless you are the operator!!!!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I would tell the neighbor NO!!!! I honestly think he bumped his head for asking. My tractor is almost 40 years old, and not worth too much. But, it doesn't get loaned to anyone. If you need to borrow my tractor, it comes with me in the seat. If not, well..... sorry about your luck ;)

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Too large of an investment to loan for an extended project. I am with 85Hokie, don't mind helping a neighbor out but I want to be the operator. I may loan out a tool or two but my hard line on NO Loan = Guns (learned the hard way), ATVs (heard too many stories of people not familiar with units wrecking the machine and themselves), vehicles and tractor.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
John, glad to hear you said no.

Your neighbor must be a real jackass. He has a project to make him some money, wants to borrow your tractor to do work on it, but has a contractor to run the tractor....

So he figures he can get use of your tractor for less funds than renting. Also, maybe not held responsible for damages. But then he is not going to run the machine, but has a contractor to do it.

Sounds like a professional con artist.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Couple hundred?

A B with a backhoe rents for $340 a day at Homey 'Po!!!

I NEVER loan out stuff except to two friends who are more anal about stuff than I am.

One of those two guys is the reason I have an L-3800 because he recommended it after owning one for a couple years. Years ago, this guy had a brand new Yamaha 250 and a good friend of his asked to borrow it to teach his boys how to ride a cycle. On Sunday the guy returned and the bike was trashed. Every piece of plastic was scraped and scratched along with the engine case and the tank. The "friend" when asked said, "That is what motorcycles are for... taking abuse!" Can you believe that???

Nope. Never allow somebody on your expensive machine.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Aside from all the reasons that others have posted, you must think about the liability issue of someone gets hurt while operating your equipment. We live in a litigious society these days. I can almost envision him suing you for injuries because you did not give him certified instruction on how to operate it. Don't laugh, it happens. I have a friend that was sued because he allowed another friend to use his personal watercraft and the borrower got hurt when he ran into a dock.

My stock answer is not without me in the seat. Then I am responsible for any damage to my equipment.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
As a friend says in similar situations:

NO!

HELL NO!

F___ NO!

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Gotta be a piece of work just to ask. I learned from my dad you don't borrow and you don't lend, period.

Mainah

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501HST, BLMX3164 blower, BB1266 box blade, BX42S chipper, Titan forks
Feb 26, 2018
Standish, Maine
Seriously? With “friends” like that who needs enemies? I’d laugh at him and say Never ask again...

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
i would have hung up! This whole deal is shady! Obviously this contractor can't rent his own equipment to do the job and the neigbor is just as shady/cheep.

I agree with everyone on this one and that is a hard NO WAY!

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Pretty much sums up all my thoughts on it. If I'm operating and it is right next door, and I have the time, OK. Kick me some cash for fuel and a couple beers post work and I'm good. I'm all for helping someone out, but we're not talking about an old beater chain saw here.

Yes he was trying to get around renting a machine to do the job. Figured he could save a few bucks. The funny thing is, he can rent one this weekend from Sunbelt with the accessories he needs for a few hundred buck and keep it from Friday till Tuesday due to the long weekend and only pay for 8hrs rental.

jms

Equipment
MX5200, BX2660, ZD221
May 22, 2018
Zumbro Falls, MN
You made the right decision. There are so many red flags.

You would be taking all of the risk and your neighbor none. He/she could very easily to rent equipment. Which would be best for everyone.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I agree with everyone, I think the problem in todays world is, people dont think. Simple, they dont understand what may or may not happen and how they are duty bound to handle something if it does go sideways. I think most of us gray beards understand this because we were brought up that way. Oh well just MHO

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I agree with everyone, I think the problem in todays world is, people dont think. Simple, they dont understand what may or may not happen and how they are duty bound to handle something if it does go sideways. I think most of us gray beards understand this because we were brought up that way. Oh well just MHO
Skeets,

better words aint been said!!!!

Hell, I wish I had thought it and typed it! ;)