L175 shut down help

Justspeed

May 22, 2018
Inverness Florida
Morning folks, I have gone through the forum and got some great advice
but have run out of ideas. Need some insight if it's available. My old man picked up a L175 at Auction. Engine needed rebuilt and it was. Starts up just fine. The issue is that it shuts down no matter the rpm after about 5 mins. First assumption is fuel starvation issue, done bleeding, cleaning etc. There is no fuel starvation issue. You can pull decompression open and turn engine over with injectors cracked and you get good flow from both. Pulled line off at injection pump also and tested flow into a can. Can't find a fuel starvation issue. Last night I removed injector pump. Seems perfectly fine. The system is so basic I can only figure it has to be an issue with injector pump. Would you come to same conclusion? Basically there isn't anything else to look at. Unless gov issue but that's intact and seems fine.

Any advice? By the way after it shuts Down you can start it right back up and it's like you reset a timer for 5 mins

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Perhaps verify the flow from the fuel tank is unrestricted over time. Remove the rubber hose before the fuel filter and allow to drain. Watch the flow rate to see if there are any periodic changes in rate. Bacteria growth or other crap in the fuel tank can cause issues like you're seeing. If this is fine, perhaps repeat on the fuel filter side to make certain it has unrestricted fuel flow with time.

If the rubber hoses are old, I'd consider replacing just to make certain they are not failing on the inside.

Only recommending these steps as it sounds fuel related and this is cheap and easy test compared to removing engine parts.

Hopefully other folks will chime in with their expertise.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
X2 on the algae.
When I first got my L175 it had the same problem.
There was an algae build up near the outlet that acted like a check valve.
When fuel was needed it would slowly settle down and stop the flow.
Let it sit, and the algae would float back up just enough to let fuel start flowing again.
Couldn't believe how much stuff was on the bottom of the tank.

Justspeed

May 22, 2018
Inverness Florida
I appreciate that guys. Hadn't thought of it like you guys did. I did suspect flow issue and that's why I pulled hose at pump and checked. Drained about 1/2 gallon with no issue. However don't mean anything most likely cause I was allowing flow at higher rate than system would pull. I got one other tid bit from another thread with kinda same issue about making sure return line isn't clogged. Honestly didn't check return for flow.