Thinking of buying an M48XX

nelstomlinson

Jul 30, 2014
Juneau, Alaska
A dealer friend has several older Kubota M48xx and M50xx models he's selling cheaply, by local standards. They were mine tractors, with huge fenders and a big box on the back for mine workers to stand in. They are 2WD, and have a three point hitch, minus the arms and drawbar. The tractors are cheap because of the huge fenders and box, and because there are no implements or hitch arms. I'm putting the xx after the 48 because I'm not sure exactly what the last two digits are.

My plan is to buy one of the M48somethings, cut the box off the back to expose the hitch, and have a nice little farm tractor. Since this is Juneau, Alaska, options are few and far between, and buying anything this big from the lower 48 isn't very practical.

My questions are:
1) Are there any problems with these tractors? That is, is there something wrong with this model, like being an orphan with limited parts availability, or just plain a bad design? Or is this a decent model to get?
2) Where should I look for the parts to complete the three point hitch? In addition to the three arms and drawbar, it's missing the mounting point for the upper arm on the back of the differential. There is a cover plate there, but it looks as if they may have cut off the holes to mount that center arm, so I'll probably need a new cover plate. I can get parts shipped in.
3) Is it realistic to plan to add a loader bucket someday? It does have hydraulics.

I would surely appreciate any wisdom you-all can impart.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Unless the M48xx is a M4800SU it's a grey market tractor.
and depending on the #'s the M50xx might be a grey too.
What that means for you is that parts, manuals, and support is going to be limited.
While some of the Kubota's take the same parts, some don't.
Get some better #'s and I can give you better info. ;)

EDIT: I'm not pulling them on Kubota's site as grey's so they just might be special build units.
Exact #'s will tell a lot more.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
See then you are in luck, a 4800SU is a real good tractor, with a solid reputation, getting arms sound be easy along with the plate for the top link.
I'll get you some #'s on parts when you get it.

nelstomlinson

Jul 30, 2014
Juneau, Alaska
So, I wrote the check today. It will be delivered tomorrow or Saturday. Thanks for the encouragement and information.

I found http://kubota.com/part/partsList.aspx, and was able to look up parts there. I think I'm finding the right numbers for the missing three point hitch bits. Is there a dealer who is good and cheap for mail order? The nearest dealer is 600 miles away, and it's a two day drive and a ferry trip.