New l3901 or Used l4701.....HELP!

Ohoward

Sep 24, 2016
Louisiana
New l3901 gear drive with fel, bushhog, disc, and box blade. Looking at around $24,500+tax

Used 2014 l4701 HST 320hrs with front fel, bushhog, finishing mower, and box blade. Looking at $22,500 and no tax-private sell. Will need to buy a disc since one doesn't with it so that needs to be factored in

I will be using this to bushhog and do food plots mostly-90%. Occasional FEL work when cleaning up cut over.

Do I go for the bigger tractor although i don't technically need it (for now) and save a little money or just buy new. I will be financing both tractors.

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Once you buy the disc your basically saving the sales tax. I would be thinking about Warranty for sure. And no risk of a tractor miss cared for.

More power is always nice but.....
Does the used tractor have remote hydraulics on it ?
Can you get a Warrenty on it?
For box blade work and front end work or operating in close spaces a HST sure is nice.
What about weight and size if your moving it around and hauling ?
Tire types on each ?
Remember insurance cost in your plans if your using it.

I would be tempted on the used one if I could get some good Warrenty on it. Tractor payment and repair bills at the same time is not fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Boo

Equipment
MX5800; BH92, BB2572, Forks 3048
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
That can be a tough question.

The L4701 is considerably more capable in many areas. It is stronger, has nearly 9 more HP for the PTO, more lift at the 3-point hitch and the FEL, and if you ever add a backhoe, the 4701 will take the BH92 rather than the BH77.

I guess it depends on whether or not you feel the 4701 has already proved itself with the hours it has or are you needing the secure feeling of having a warranty.

Whether or not you prefer the hydro or manual is going to be a factor to consider. I know that sometimes, I would like to have the quieter manual gears rather than the hydro, but I do a lot of work moving backwards and forwards, so the hydro makes more sense for me.

I wish you well in your decision.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Well, brand new is 0 for 84 months now. Used is typically cash and carry or awful interest rates.

Im an HST fan, and personally liked the bigger size of the L4701. If your doing more ground engaging work, the gear might be better suited. New will have KTAC insurance, used will not.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Does the 4701 have tier 4 equipment? If not, that would be a big factor for me. I'd rather have used with no DPF, vs new with.