2650 tiller match up

allseasons

Equipment
Loader, snow blade, back blade, carry all, cultivator, Pats easy change hitch.
Aug 27, 2018
Jackson, MI, U.S.A
I've almost read till i'm cross eyed about tiller size match up for tractors....I was almost set on getting the 60" KK which has 6 tines / 7 flanges and a nice hefty 690LB so it shouldn't bounce much, for my 2650, but i'm still just a touch worried about if the 2650 can handle it. I read to estimate 5HP per foot of tiller width which would be 25HP but the 2650 comes in at only 19.5 PTO HP so i'm starting to worry it can't handle it. I know soil type will make a big difference as well as ground speed. I have a soil that i'll call sandy but does have rocks in it and seems to be very hard packed (maybe clay does that?).....good luck trying to get a shovel in it when it's bone dry! I plan on using either a subsoiler/middle buster or plow on virgin ground, then hit it with tiller and add in soil amendments to improve it, but i still wonder if i would be biting off more than the 2650 can chew with that 60" KK. I also know that i can take multiple paths getting deeper over time so i like the thought of having the KK for when i "evolve" the soil into something better as time goes on and it will be easier...........Any thoughts on this KK for the 2650?.......And i thought tire type was the only tough decision!!! HA!......thanks.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
A 48 would be your best bet,, but a 60 will work as well,,, slow, easy and light! With what ever you go with go SLOW and take maybe an inch or 2 at a time. Low range and as slow as you can creep. Untill you have it down and watch for rocks they will kick things around thats why you go slow and shallow.

NOW you do know that some areas around you have given up some of that yellow stuff, and the fact that where you are, is I'm pretty sure, glacial deposits , once you get it tilled up maybe try your metal detector and a pan, you might wind up paying for your tiller from your backyard :D
No matter enjoy the little orange machine, but dont let your lovely bride know how much fun your having

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I run a reverse till 66" Land pride on my B2650, for the last couple years here in northeast Ohio, and it handles it no problem at all.

allseasons

Equipment
Loader, snow blade, back blade, carry all, cultivator, Pats easy change hitch.
Aug 27, 2018
Jackson, MI, U.S.A
Ok, thanks for the replies,........I guess between busting up the soil first and taking it slow and easy i should be good. I didn't like the thought of maybe having to offset a narrower tiller because i know that over time the soil will improve from adding compost and picking the rocks out once i find them. I also read that you can plant what they call white "tillage" or "forage" radishes because of the long tap roots and it helps loosen the soil plus you get a nice green manure out of them to till in. I think you are supposed to plant them by late August, they take 60 days to mature.........interesting. Thanks again.