L2550 First Start Question

jetattblue

Equipment
BX1800; L2550
Mar 14, 2018
Arlington, TX
I just got a 2wd L2550 as a project tractor to work on and learn about. I purchased it from an estate; the tractor was apparently parked about 10 years ago after very little use. It has about 530 hours on it.

The motor turns with a wrench; it is not seized. I am purchasing a new battery, and I have changed the fluids - oil and fresh diesel. I'd like to try to start it up.

Now that I have changed the oil, is there something that I need to do to cycle the oil through the engine before starting it? In other words, I am assuming that it will be bone dry in the engine after sitting for so long. So, is there some sort of startup procedure that I should follow?

I really appreciate any insight you could provide.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Im not sure about the start up question in reference to the oil but you might want to consider draining the first few ounces or so from the bottom of the fuel tank (watch the color/debris/algae), if you havent done so yet and be prepared to change the fuel filter in the near future. Best of luck.

jetattblue

Equipment
BX1800; L2550
Mar 14, 2018
Arlington, TX
Thank you! I've emptied the fuel tank and changed the fuel filter. I am currently installing new fuel lines because they were brittle and cracked.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
You'll need to prime that fuel system. Do you have a manual for the tractor?

Tim Kowalski

Equipment
L2550 DT
Oct 14, 2015
Illinois USA
If your tractor is 4 wheel drive (L2550-DT) you should also check your front axle oil. You may have already done this.
I'm not sure about what you could do to get the crankcase oil where it needs to be before starting. Filling with the fresh oil should have gotten some oil in the guides.
The main reason that I am posting is to let you know that these tractors have a pretty good clatter from the diesel igniting. It sounds like sharp knocking. I bought mine used with about 1200 hours on it and was a little concerned about the sound. After watching (and listening) to several YouTube videos, I determined that this is normal for diesel tractors of this vintage. I have over 100 hours on it with no problems in very hot or below freezing weather.
I did need to put new seals on the front axle - it is common for the originals to leak. It had no oil, but the gears were not worn.
As shootem604 said, bleeding the injector pump is a must to get the fuel flowing.
Good luck and let us know how things work out.

jetattblue

Equipment
BX1800; L2550
Mar 14, 2018
Arlington, TX
Thank you so much, Tim. I'm super excited about giving it a go, and I'll report back with my results. It may be in a week or so as I'm slammed at work right now.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There is probably a decompression knob on it that would prevent it from starting. Then spin engine in short bursts using the starter to get oil distribution or spin engine by hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Engine oil gets from start to finish on these engines fast, no need to do anything special.

Your going to get oil everywhere just bleeding the injectors.