L2501 Hydro Clutch noise

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
What could be the options of noise caused from when the clutch is resting/released and not depressed, while the engine is running ? When I depress the clutch around 2 inches the noise is gone. The noise sounds very similar to that of a rattling, thin sheet of metal, but apparently its internal. I tried to post a short video but it wouldnt allow me. Ive checked everything for looseness and tried to duplicate the noise externally by hand. You would have to adjust the clutch beyond measure to remove the noise, so thats not an option. Im also awaiting a phone call from my dealership but until then, just curious if someone might have experienced this issue in the past.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Could be a ton of things.

Release bearing
PTO cams rattling
clutch disk splines failing
transmission gears rattling against each other
HST internal issue(s)
input shaft bearing
pilot bearing

There's 3 ways to find out where the problem is. Ask more questions, give more info. Ask the dealer. And (3) split it and find out.

If the tractor isn't old (and in warranty), dealer will listen to it and it's possible that it may be deemed a normal sound and you'll be on your way. But they're not going to want to do exploratory surgery-because Kubota doesn't pay for that unless they find a problem. If they have a good idea where to look and what they're expecting to find, yes no problem-but if not, and it's not a huge ordeal, they'll let you have it back and you can use it until it does fail. Then they'll know where to look for sure. Similarly, going to the doctor saying I don't feel good. They need more info. They're not likely to disassemble you to find where the hurt is. And unfortunately, X-rays and MRI's don't work on tractors.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Thanks lugbolt.
I had another experienced friend listen to it and like you mentioned, he said it sounded like I have a bad throw out bearing or pressure plate. I wonder if I should go to gear drive because I was doing some single bottom plowing. The noise has always been there but its been getting worse. I was plowing as lightly as I could in depth because I want to be easy on the unit until after the first 50 hours or so but I still think I should have went with a gear drive. I cant say that I know for sure thats the problem but it makes me wonder. Im going to be talking to the dealer sometime today.
Im not to happy about splitting a brand new unit, repairing it, and then having the same problem again down the road in the near future if plowing is causing the issue, idk ???
I wonder if a hydro trans is more susceptible to stressing a clutch and/or causing more slippage to a clutch system than a gear would be under a load. But again, I dont know for sure thats the cause of the problem to begin with.
Thanks again.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
After talking to the dealerships manager, she wanted to bring the tractor in and have the mechanics diagnose it and she was very accommodating, as well as curious as to the cause of the noise as well. Turns out it was actually a thick plate on the tractor resonating the noise when the clutch is released. Not being fully convinced, I went as far as traveling back to the dealership and compared two separate, yet brand new tractors of the exact same model and sure enough the sound was exactly the same. Like a knowledgeable friend and I both agreed that the noise didnt sound right and sounded like a clutch and/or a throw-out bearing but it is not.

All is well that ends well. At least they cared enough to bring it in and check it out as they were curious as well. They also went and changed the hydraulic filters while it was there.

Thanks again for the help I received during this and just thought Id update.

Reactions: 1 user

Retired Plumber

Jun 19, 2021
Wisconsin
After talking to the dealerships manager, she wanted to bring the tractor in and have the mechanics diagnose it and she was very accommodating, as well as curious as to the cause of the noise as well. Turns out it was actually a thick plate on the tractor resonating the noise when the clutch is released. Not being fully convinced, I went as far as traveling back to the dealership and compared two separate, yet brand new tractors of the exact same model and sure enough the sound was exactly the same. Like a knowledgeable friend and I both agreed that the noise didnt sound right and sounded like a clutch and/or a throw-out bearing but it is not.

All is well that ends well. At least they cared enough to bring it in and check it out as they were curious as well. They also went and changed the hydraulic filters while it was there.

Thanks again for the help I received during this and just thought Id update.
What "thick plate" on tractor? My 2501 same, drives me nuts.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
My L2501 has the same rattle/ fast clicking noise when sitting at idle without the clutch depressed. I actually made a thread on here about it a while back, because I have noticed that the noise actually gets a little worse after the tractor has gotten really warm - for example, after pulling my disk harrow through the garden for a while. I eventually just determined that the noise was normal and stopped worrying about it. I never did really find out the exact cause.