L3901 hydrostatic problem

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
First I must explain I'm a little stressed. We had a horrendous barn fire a couple nights ago and suffered some huge losses. The adjuster flies in from seattle tonight and once he's done tomorrow morning we can begin clean up. So....
This afternoon I began work on a big pit to bury everything that needs burying. One of those times you really need to rely on your machine. On my second scoop of dirt I pressed the pedal and backed up. It was hard to press down. It backed up and kept going. I throttled down and it kept going. I finally pressed the clutch and stood up. That killed the engine. I had to play back and with the treadle until it found a neutral position and would start. The treadle pedal is very stiff and will barely move. I have checked everything underneath. Nothing tuck or apparently bent.
Looks like I have to take this thing in for another warranty repair at 197 hrs. Starting to think I should have stayed with green tractors. I'm pissed to say the least.

69 SS

Equipment
2015 L3901 HST,with Canopy,LA 525 FEL with SSQA bucket
Sep 26, 2015
Ft. Inn sc
Hey my 3901 did the same thing stuck in reverse had to kill engine same as you,there is a dampner that is connected to the bracket that is underneath the tractor that controls forward/ reverse .think of it as a gas filled shock absorber like is on a camper shell window. .i bent the shaft ever so slightly when bushhoging ,had to take 2 pins with cotter pins loose to remove the dampener from under tractor and straighten the rod on the unit and reinstall it u can only see this from underneath tractor . I had to ride back 1 mile on 4 wheeler to get flashlight so I could see what was wrong pliers and screwdriver to remove until I could get tractor back home to repair sounds like u did same as me to dampener . Good luck hope yours is as easy to fix as mine was

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
Thanks 69SS. That is the dampener with the spring around it? Did you take the cotter pins out, lay it on a bench and straighten it? I'm hoping I can do that this evening. So much work to do and so little time.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Wondering if it is a gas fillable device, or at least filled when working, if the heat from the fire damaged it? Or the seals if it is like the lift on my car hatch back?

So sorry Frozen...wish we could help.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the dampener is damaged, you can run it without it, you will just need to be easy on the pedal, as the dampeners job is to just slow the pedal movement down.

And yes use no heat to straighten it. ;)

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
69SS I owe you a bottle of good scotch...
That was spot on. I removed the damper and sure enough it was bent. Very hard to move in/out. Once I set it on a flat surface I could tap it til straight. Then the damper moved in/out just fine. Good lesson. I will not be the only L model owner who has something flip up and hit that damper. When I get time this winter I'll make a shield to cover all that important stuff. It sure seems vulnerable. Thanks everyone for the great help. That's why I love this forum.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Hey FO, glad to see an easy fix for your problem and that someone gave you clear, concise information.

Just hate to see someone who has more than should be on their plate have one more item of grief. If you wasn't go dad-gum far away we'd be up there helping! Best of luck for your rebuild and replacements.