Mobile, AL

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I bought that same set 5 years ago...they still sit on the wall with all the paint intact.
That design is a pain to use as any slack happens in the pull chain and they fall off, either at the hooks on the log or at the hook for the chain. :mad:

You far better off just wrapping a chain around the log and dragging it.
Or way way better idea... it's a excellent excuse to get a grapple! :D
Once you go grapple you'll never go back! ;)

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
I usually use a chain for just one log or two, as it is always with me.

I have similar tongs that are really useful when there are more logs. It hangs on the top hook of the quick hitch, or on the rear of my rear blade. Then I can hook up a log without getting off the tractor, and usually drop it, too.

No chains to go slack and let it fall off.

Bruce

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
I'm with Bruce

I have a similar set (Tractor Supply sells them)

They never go on the end of a length of chain. A few links from the lift point only. The tongs are used to lift the log first, then haul it.
You must be careful turning corners so as not to reef on the tongs too much though. Those pincers will go deep and be hard to get out.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
These aren't cheap but they work pretty good and it keeps the end of the log off the ground which helps a lot when dragging over rough terrain.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Way back in the day an old fella way down the road skidded out logs with his truck. he had an old car hood blew a hole in the front and ran the chain through it and chained to the log ... when he pulled away the log slid on to the hood and the hood slid over the ground and wouldnt hang up on ruts and such. I have seen things made like that on line
Here is one
https://youtu.be/fr6BezPxuYI?t=5

Last edited:

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
WOW Log Toboggans Awesome idea!:D

Way back in the day an old fella way down the road skidded out logs with his truck. he had an old car hood blew a hole in the front and ran the chain through it and chained to the log ... when he pulled away the log slid on to the hood and the hood slid over the ground and wouldnt hang up on ruts and such. I have seen things made like that on line
Here is one
https://youtu.be/fr6BezPxuYI?t=5

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Use a chain and tie a Timber Hitch around the log....

Tongs are for picking vertical. They can be used to drag things but they are not ideal, it will be a hassle, unless you can lift the log with the tongs.

Last edited:

427cjackson

Equipment
2004 Kubota L3830HST 1600hrs, 9' BH90, Bobcat 6' box blade, Woods BB60 Cutter
Jul 23, 2014
Hollis, ME
I use my forks that have a clevis hook mounted to the backstop and a chain with a slip hook on the other. I can easily move the logs around to stack the butts (3 or 4) and then wrap the chain around them. Then drag all the logs to the same spot...use the forks to stack them...sometime lift a few out of the dirt so I'm not bending over so much...then start cutting.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Use a chain and tie a Timber Hitch around the log....

Tongs are for picking vertical. They can be used to drag things but they are not ideal, it will be a hassle, unless you can lift the log with the tongs.
Link no worky!

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I've skidded a fair amount of timber with my compact tractor.
Some of this timber has been as much as 75-80cm in diameter. Easily weighing as much as the tractor.

What worked best for me was to use two chains. One to pull with on the draw bar of the tractor. The other to lift one end using a trailer mover adapter on the 3pt and a chain at the top link end of the adapter.

Seems you can pull so much more weight with the front end of the log even just a little off the ground. Again pulling with the draw bar, lifting with the 3pt.

Believe me you do NOT want to take a chance of doing a wheelie pulling from high up on the 3pt lift.

The skidding was on an established trail, reasonably flat with no big pot holes or tight turns or other obsticles to handle. I was using 4 wheel drive, low range, and loaded turf tires with no issues.

One problem with this is dirt in the tree bark. I use an old chain saw bar and chains that are on there last resharpen to cut dirty wood like this. It is worth taking the time to change bars and chains depending if you are felling, trimming limbs, bucking clean wood, or dirty wood. I always seem to have a number of old chains on there last use. This small bit of extra time to change parts saves money on equipment.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Of course. Derp. haha

Does OTT have Youtube code enabled? I did it just like i would on any other message forum.
Nadda, there really isn't much of that fancy stuff going on here! ;)

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
What worked best for me was to use two chains. One to pull with on the draw bar of the tractor. The other to lift one end using a trailer mover adapter on the 3pt and a chain at the top link end of the adapter.

{...}

Believe me you do NOT want to take a chance of doing a wheelie pulling from high up on the 3pt lift.
Can you explain a little more how this works? I agree that it's best to get the front of the log off the ground, and I too use a 3ph trailer mover to do this. Not only does it keep the wood cleaner, but makes it less likely to catch on a rock, stump, etc., increasing the safety while, as you say, decreasing the resistance.

But once it's lifted, how is that chain to the top of the trailer mover not the primary pull point? I.e., how do you keep the chain to the drawbar doing the work?

I'm probably missing something obvious here, but I just can't see it.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Can you explain a little more how this works? I agree that it's best to get the front of the log off the ground, and I too use a 3ph trailer mover to do this. Not only does it keep the wood cleaner, but makes it less likely to catch on a rock, stump, etc., increasing the safety while, as you say, decreasing the resistance.

But once it's lifted, how is that chain to the top of the trailer mover not the primary pull point? I.e., how do you keep the chain to the drawbar doing the work?

The chain to the top carrying the log weight will swing in an arc.
The chain attached to a drawbar (not the 3pt spreader bar) is short enough to snub the arc of the lifting chain.

To be the safest, the draw bar should be below the rear axle height, and the longer the better. Think of it as a wheelie bar if the front does lift. ;-)

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior

CCCCCC

It takes a bit of extra time many times, but worth the trouble. Put a chain on the log near the end, raise the log enough with the 3pt hitch to fit another chain behind the lift chain, lower down on the log or on the bottom of the log. Let the log down. Attach 2nd chain to the draw bar, take out slack, then raise the 3pt. A little raise is better than none, but it doesn't have to be as high as the 3pt will go. That way the draw bar is doing the majority of the pulling in the lowest line possible.

Yes. The 3pt (ark) can in effect raise the point you are pulling from a bit higher than not lifting the log end. Usually it is not enough to make a substantial change in the angle of the hook up.

Your experience may be different.