Box blading with roots.

TRA

Equipment
B2601, LA434, BH70, LP BB1260
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
In my never ending homestead path work, im running into a lot of issues box blading. I know I have a small machine and limited power, but I seem to get hung up on roots very easily, making the tractor full stop. Even little finger sized ones hang me up.

I’m a novice, so any advice is welcome.

Some things I try,

Setting the angle to the box so the ripper thanks only penetrate an inch or so.
Raise the height to where im only skimming a little.
Only using two rippers.

Tractor is in 4wd, low range, reved to redline, and I don’t stomp the HST.

Is there a ripper shank that’s a blade available for my LP BB?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your probably going to need to run it with 1 or 2 teeth set deep to break up the roots.
Then go back over it with all the teeth set shallower.

And put your foot into the HST pedal, your not going to hurt it working it! ;)

TRA

Equipment
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
Your probably going to need to run it with 1 or 2 teeth set deep to break up the roots.
Then go back over it with all the teeth set shallower.

And put your foot into the HST pedal, your not going to hurt it working it! ;)
Oh, I thought the harder you stomped the HST, the higher it would try to gear? My bad.. Could be part of my problem.

I wish I could get more power out of the B2601 somehow. It's the absolute perfect size for the area I work, fitting through trees and the like. The gearhead in me wants an MX5800.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Oh, I thought the harder you stomped the HST, the higher it would try to gear? My bad.. Could be part of my problem.
I think Wolfman means don't hesitate to make it pull.

If you try to "mash the gas" like a car, it may not work. You are correct as that is an occasional problem guys have.

But, slow steady increasing depression of the HST pedal should make it pull harder.

Tires spinning? Tires loaded?

TRA

Equipment
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
I'm shooting for a M7040 with a cab next! :D
That would be one awesome ride. (Can you call it that?) So so powerful.

With my land, its 100% raw woods. A few old growth trees that are six+ feet in diameter. Mostly newer oak and ash that are 6-18". Dense and hilly. That B fits really well on the property.

Hmmm... Maybe I need an excavator...

TRA

Equipment
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
I think Wolfman means don't hesitate to make it pull.

If you try to "mash the gas" like a car, it may not work. You are correct as that is an occasional problem guys have.

But, slow steady increasing depression of the HST pedal should make it pull harder.

Tires spinning? Tires loaded?
The tires don't really spin except in a few spots. They are ballast filled R4s. The whole machine just stops dead in it's tracks.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hmmm... Maybe I need an excavator...
OH yea... and one of those too! :D

90% of my place is tree filled and hilly too, pines, spruce, fir, cedar, poplar, alder, birch, and many more.

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
Can't you just take the rippers out ? My boxblade does not have any rippers and I use it a lot. I have a separate homemade ripper with one big blade. I use it for roots.
I have also bent it into a pretzel messing with roots..ha ha ha.
Good luck Pete:)

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Hi TRA, welcome to OTT.
I have had the same experience. The B.B. will hang up on roots but my TSC subsoiler is much better as the hp of my small tractor is concentrated on the single ripper. I still get stopped but the lift pops the root an the next pass is clear.
Please consider the effect on the trees if you rip out some roots. I have found them pretty resilient but your situation may be different.
:)

Attachments

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
I use the subsoiler too. I have made up an attachment to go with it for feeding waterlines and wires into the ground. My neighbor calls it my waterline plow.

Just set it and make a couple of passes at speed - then try it with the rippers again.

TRA

Equipment
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
OH yea... and one of those too! :D

90% of my place is tree filled and hilly too, pines, spruce, fir, cedar, poplar, alder, birch, and many more.
I rented a 4 ton Deere Mini-Ex for a day. I did some serious work while I had it. It was a monster, especially with that dozer blade.

TRA

Equipment
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
I use the subsoiler too. I have made up an attachment to go with it for feeding waterlines and wires into the ground. My neighbor calls it my waterline plow.

Just set it and make a couple of passes at speed - then try it with the rippers again.
Subsoilers are pretty affordable. What is a good unit for the B2601?

TRA

Equipment
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
Can't you just take the rippers out ? My boxblade does not have any rippers and I use it a lot. I have a separate homemade ripper with one big blade. I use it for roots.
I have also bent it into a pretzel messing with roots..ha ha ha.
Good luck Pete:)
That might work for moving a little dirt around. I can give it a try. I do push while in reverse with the BB a lot. It does a fair job.

TRA

Equipment
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
Hi TRA, welcome to OTT.
I have had the same experience. The B.B. will hang up on roots but my TSC subsoiler is much better as the hp of my small tractor is concentrated on the single ripper. I still get stopped but the lift pops the root an the next pass is clear.
Please consider the effect on the trees if you rip out some roots. I have found them pretty resilient but your situation may be different.
:)

Thank you Lencho.

I'm digging the subsoiler idea (pun intended).

I do have a Backhoe and the BXpanded ripper tooth already. Come to think of it, I could lower that down into the ground and drive.... Unless that would put too much stress on the machine and backhoe? My gut says it will... but if anyone has tried it?

Of course, Having a subsoiler and middle buster combo would be great for other jobs too, like ditching and planting.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Listen to your gut on the backhoe idea. Driving with the ripper tooth down sound like a fast way to break something- like a cylinder!
Subsoilers are cheap for small tractors, the TSC one is $190, and they do go on sale.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-subsoiler
A big tractor could destroy this model but I think you will be OK. I really like mine and it is much stronger and goes deeper than a single box blade ripper.

Do you really need to get the roots out to build your paths? Why not just use the box blade to add a little soil and smooth the path that way?

jnyost

Sep 12, 2017
Central Ohio
Are you getting caught by the rippers? I assume not just the box blade. What’s your long term goal? Moving material or just smoothing it out?

TRA

Equipment
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
Listen to your gut on the backhoe idea. Driving with the ripper tooth down sound like a fast way to break something- like a cylinder!
Subsoilers are cheap for small tractors, the TSC one is $190, and they do go on sale.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-subsoiler
A big tractor could destroy this model but I think you will be OK. I really like mine and it is much stronger and goes deeper than a single box blade ripper.

Do you really need to get the roots out to build your paths? Why not just use the box blade to add a little soil and smooth the path that way?
I have a lot of trail that follows the side of a gentle slope, I need to cut into the hillside a little bit to level it out.