BX23S Glow Plug Light On

Chembucket

Equipment
BX23S
May 15, 2018
Western WA
Light comes on while running. It was at the shop already once but they couldn’t figure it out and implied that I was looking at the wrong light. This time I took video. I will try again tomorrow with the dealer and hope they can fix it the second time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Take it back....with VIDEO in hand.....Make em see what you see!;)

Chembucket

Equipment
BX23S
May 15, 2018
Western WA
The tractor got picked up today for the shop.

Here is my question: if the glow plugs were on for hours rather than a few seconds at a time for starting the engine, have I used up a fair amount of their life or hurt anything. The glow plug light was on for a few hours at a time until the battery went dead.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The tractor got picked up today for the shop.

Here is my question: if the glow plugs were on for hours rather than a few seconds at a time for starting the engine, have I used up a fair amount of their life or hurt anything. The glow plug light was on for a few hours at a time until the battery went dead.

A glow plug is somewhat like an incandescent light bulb.....

throw a butt load of electrons at it .....and it gets hot - real hot!!!

I light bulb will almost last forever ....if never turned OFF;) - the heating and cooling of the filament causes the "metal" to crystallize and thus the life span starts to reduce.

I would think that a glow plug would be much the same - the flow there is a lot more than the light bulb however!

Then again - a glow plug is almost identical to a heating element placed in the water to warm the engine. But the difference is pure resistance - a glow plug has damn near ZERO resistance, thus the current draw in tremendous! Where as a warming element has a higher resistance and is not getting red hot - but very warm, they are left on for hours at a time.

I think I would (after finding WHY is was on) have the dealer replace them just in case! ;)

Chembucket

Equipment
BX23S
May 15, 2018
Western WA
A glow plug is somewhat like an incandescent light bulb.....

throw a butt load of electrons at it .....and it gets hot - real hot!!!

I light bulb will almost last forever ....if never turned OFF;) - the heating and cooling of the filament causes the "metal" to crystallize and thus the life span starts to reduce.

I would think that a glow plug would be much the same - the flow there is a lot more than the light bulb however!

Then again - a glow plug is almost identical to a heating element placed in the water to warm the engine. But the difference is pure resistance - a glow plug has damn near ZERO resistance, thus the current draw in tremendous! Where as a warming element has a higher resistance and is not getting red hot - but very warm, they are left on for hours at a time.

I think I would (after finding WHY is was on) have the dealer replace them just in case! ;)

Thank you. I will ask them if they will consider replacing.

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
That IS strange.. they'll prob. come back w/ some BS about u leaving it outside in the rain or rodents chewing the wires.. its rarely their fault.. Lol
Before I sent it off, "I" would have checked to see if the GP's were actually ON & heating that entire time. because if they were, those babies are toast.. prob swelled up on the end & burnt out..
AND I would have them replace the battery..
I'm gonna walk out on a limb & say its gonna end up your fault.. dealer diagnosis> outside weather/rain/water into key switch..
be sure & let us know..

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I am thinking this is a newer tractor and the Glow Plugs it will have have a self limiting resistance feature in their basic design.

I don't think you will have any issues except perhaps the battery if it went completely dead a few times

Self Regulating Glow Plugs by Beru:

Dave

Chembucket

Equipment
BX23S
May 15, 2018
Western WA
I am thinking this is a newer tractor and the Glow Plugs it will have have a self limiting resistance feature in their basic design.

I don't think you will have any issues except perhaps the battery if it went completely dead a few times

Self Regulating Glow Plugs by Beru:

Dave

Dave,

Very interesting. Thank you for forwarding that information. If all I do is need a new battery eventually then I can live with that. The tractor is still at the dealer so we’ll see what they say. I’ll post a follow up when I hear something.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I think the era of glow plugs heating to the point of swelling and requiring head removal to replace was in the era of 1984....Ford 6.9 were notorious for it.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Hi,
Any time I have seen a glow plug light come on in a running vehicle it was one of the glow plugs that had worn out. Pretty simple to isolate them and check with an ordinary test light to the battery

Chembucket

Equipment
BX23S
May 15, 2018
Western WA
Hi,

Any time I have seen a glow plug light come on in a running vehicle it was one of the glow plugs that had worn out. Pretty simple to isolate them and check with an ordinary test light to the battery

Thanks everyone. No call from the shop yet about what the problem is. Stay tuned.

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
Boy, if I can't leave a tractor out in the rain, I'm screwed! :eek: Does that mean I have keep it warm in the winter, cool in the summer, put sunscreen on it, and tuck it in at night too? lol

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
hahaha.. I know whatcha mean.. its just, some machines are better suited for the outdoors than others..
I hope he gets the prob. sorted out & it doesn't cost him an arm & a leg.. & 3 months out of his life..
THATS the problem w/ warranty work.. they ALREADY HAVE YOUR MONEY.. & its COSTING THEM to fix it for free.. so it sits back in a corner until all the PAYING JOBS get done..
They can burn up a warranty {time period} by sitting in a service dept..!!!

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
hahaha.. I know whatcha mean.. its just, some machines are better suited for the outdoors than others..
I hope he gets the prob. sorted out & it doesn't cost him an arm & a leg.. & 3 months out of his life..
THATS the problem w/ warranty work.. they ALREADY HAVE YOUR MONEY.. & its COSTING THEM to fix it for free.. so it sits back in a corner until all the PAYING JOBS get done..
They can burn up a warranty {time period} by sitting in a service dept..!!!

thepumpguysc- Every tractor we ever had sat outside, so I thought it was funny that they might say it was because it got wet. Especially since tractors DO get used in all kinds of weather. I guess it remains to be seen. lol
You guys missed a bullet with Florence, didn't you? My Sig Other lived in Florence for about 5 years and was going to buy a few acres outside Charlotte before she decided she is in love with me and bought this place (after having said repeatedly that she'd never live in Iowa), so we kinda keep an eye on your wx. She has a good friend in Myrtle Beach, so we were watching there. Must of done landfall a couple hundred miles north of forecast.

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
Yeah it missed us.. It rained a light mist for 2-3 days & the wind blew about 30-40 mph.. but the ground was so dry it sucked it up.. not a puddle to be found.. I think that's what saved us from getting flooded out.. hadn't rained in about a week & the grass was even "crunchy" & brown.
I put the genny away for "next time"..

Chembucket

Equipment
BX23S
May 15, 2018
Western WA
Updated: I got a call from my wife today that the tractor was back at the house. No call or anything that they were planning to drop it off. Just sitting in the driveway with the keys in it and no paperwork. I called the shop. They said they replaced a damaged/burnt relay switch. Said they pulled the glow plugs and wiped them off and they were fine. It started up so I guess we’ll see.