Quick Hitch Compatibility Hookup Questions

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
I would like to purchase a Quick Hitch. I have an L3800, and all of my equipment has the U shaped brackets (some standard with the equipment, and others have been modified).

How does the quick attach work with these type of brackets, and what type of adapter would I need.

Thanks for any/all help.

Attachments

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
I'm not clear on what you mean by the U shaped bracket, my box blade was set up similar to the one in the picture. What I did I re-drilled the rear arms to a forward position on the bottom, then re-bolted them to the top hole in the vertical arms and used the remaining bottom hole in the vertical arms for the top hook of the quick-hitch. I found that to be the easiest and fastest (and cheapest) way to convert it to being compatible. Hope this helps you out.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
I'm not clear on what you mean by the U shaped bracket, my box blade was set up similar to the one in the picture. What I did I re-drilled the rear arms to a forward position on the bottom, then re-bolted them to the top hole in the vertical arms and used the remaining bottom hole in the vertical arms for the top hook of the quick-hitch. I found that to be the easiest and fastest (and cheapest) way to convert it to being compatible. Hope this helps you out.
Sorry for the confusion......my primary concern is how to hook up the lower arms of the tractor, to the corresponding brackets (as pictured) on the box blade. If this is what you're addressing, a photo or two would really help. Thanks.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
The problem with quick hitches is there is NO common standard. One manufacture may be 27 inches center to center and another will be 27 and 3/4. When I bought my quick hitch, there was only one of the 5 implements that fit. I had to modify all the rest. At least now, the only one I have to get off to hook up is the bush hog, the drive shaft.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
I really missed the mark on that one, on my Cat. 1 quick hitch the lower hooks ID is 27 1/4" and the OD is 29 3/4" if that won't work for you you'd have to move the brackets on the box blade. I think all the lower brackets are the same distance apart on the newer equipment. You probably have a Cat.1 hitch with the Hp that you have, so if your buying new make sure the equipment is quick hitch ready or get out the welder. In my first quote I was explaining what I had to do to make the top hook work.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Get the Kubota QH for your tractor. All Kubota Land Pride equipment matches. My L3301 uses QH10 . You will need the " floating top link " for your shredder.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Just because the lower pins are "captured" or are the clevis style, hooking up any quick hitch is the same process as shown in this video:

https://youtu.be/Nr2VtcniRCw

If that does not help, then I don't understand exaclty what your asking.
Thanks to all for comments.......let me give this one last shot for a better explanation of my situation:

1. I have the land pride rotary cutter as pictured, and all my equipment has been modified with the same style lower arm brackets as on this cutter. So the spacing of the brackets on the various equipment will work with most all Cat 1 quick hitches. I'm just confused as to what bushing will work for this set up.

2. The third photo is the hitch pin(s) I'm using.

2. What type of bushings do I need for this set up to accommodate the quick hitch? The one in the second photo or what?

Thanks again!!

Attachments

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Ah...your first post mentioned “adapters” not bushings...sorry I didn’t understand.

You need arm bushings for a Clevis style attachment, the ones with the larger bell end will nit work. Ofthen you’ll need two on each side, a CAT1 -> CAT2 and then a CAT2 -> CAT3. TSC or any farm store should have them. I can’t find a good picture to share.

http://www.speeco.com/products.aspx?id=98&prod=77

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Ah...your first post mentioned “adapters” not bushings...sorry I didn’t understand.

You need arm bushings for a Clevis style attachment, the ones with the larger bell end will nit work. Ofthen you’ll need two on each side, a CAT1 -> CAT2 and then a CAT2 -> CAT3. TSC or any farm store should have them. I can’t find a good picture to share.

http://www.speeco.com/products.aspx?id=98&prod=77
Great!! Yes bushings clearly is what's needed, only wish they were longer since my spacing ranges up to 5 1/4 inches.

Sorry for making this so long and drawn out.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Howdy, Wendol

Been looking into this myself. The Cat 1 ball socket on the back of your L3800 fits a 7/8 inch diameter pin. The hooks on the quick hitches vary all over the place as to the pin diameter they "fit". Depending on the specific quick hitch, it may take a bushing to go from a cat 1 to a cat 2 diameter to get the pin to firmly set in the hook.

The bushings with the large end and roll pin will likely not work due to the individual implements. Every one of my six implements has a different spacing.

Also with a land pride mower attached to a fixed quick change you will lose the articulation of the mower as you go over hills and cross gullies and rills.

Another choice is to look at Pat's Easy Quick Change. This allows you to match the spacing for any of your implements and to keep articulation for your mower.

As far as the fixed quick hitches, Land Pride QH15 27" inside, 29-1/2" outside; Northern Tool 26-1/2" inside, 28-3/4" outside; AgriSupply 27-1/4" center to center; Harbor Freight 27-3/16" clearance. None of these will fit my disc (Cat 1). Northern Tool will not fit my Land Pride mower.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Also with a land pride mower attached to a fixed quick change you will lose the articulation of the mower as you go over hills and cross gullies and rills.
One way to fix that. Or some use a foot or so of chain.

Bruce

Attachments

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
I am considering a quick hitch but the compatibility issues give me pause. Does Pats quick hitch system give the same functionality but avoid these issues ?

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
One way to fix that. Or some use a foot or so of chain.

Bruce
I added the Kubota floating top link to my LP shredder & it made things a lot easier hooking up & in operation. I think it was from a Meyers Tractor parts online, all Kubota parts but about half of local price.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
With Pat's you put an adapter on each lower link of the tractor. You can still adjust the lower link apart distance for individual implements. The upper link can stay the same except that it needs to be adjusted about 4 inches longer to compensate for the adapters on the lower links.

The main tradeoff is that with the Pat's you can adjust it for whatever. You have to get off the tractor to hookup the upper link, though. But if you are hooking up the PTO that has to happen anyway.

The regular quick hitch you can make connect by just raising it up, and it grabs on three points. The disadvantage is that every implement has to be massaged with ironwork one-time to get a fit to a particular brand quick hitch. Different brands are not interchangeable even if Cat 1. Even after grinding and welding you are tied to one type of quick hitch.

Unless you are really lucky and hit the combination that works.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Kenny, thanks for posting the standard dimensions. Figured there had to be some baseline. Wish that it were being followed by implements and quick hitches.

My measurements on my implements and the advertised dimensions on the (low end?) quick hitches show way more variation than mechanical tolerance and mud/ice tolerance.

My comment is that anyone thinking about quick hitching should measure what they truly have, "as-built." The quick hitch(es) that they are exploring should be measured "as-built." Then a decision can be made whether to weld and modify, and which ones, or some other scheme.