Name that tool

Sodark

Equipment
2018 B2650 HST ROPS, BH77 Backhoe
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
I'm frequently finding myself needing to pull various objects from the ground. Currently a number of chain link fencing posts cut beneath ground level by some sinister fiend. I've resorted to drilling holes and inserting bolts through as a means of providing purchase to loop my chain around to pull them, but this is time consuming and enraging. Does anyone know of the proper or common nomenclature for such a device used for lifting/pulling that converts, by means of a scissoring action, the pulling force to exert pinching/gripping force?? I can only assume there is a variety of types and sizes for various industries and applications, but I can't begin to think what to search for... Gold star and eternal gratitude to anyone who can put a name to this thing and make my life a little easier...

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Search; pallet pullers

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
For the chain link post, I wonder if a beam clamp or two would work to keep the chain from slipping, with no drilling needed.

Bruce

Attachments

Last edited:

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
If you have enough post to grab, and don't mind denting it, a plate or hook puller will work, too. You can use a tractor to lift it, instead of the jack or lever shown. A round hole or hook shape will probably work better on a round post.

Bruce

Attachments

Last edited:

Firefox

Equipment
2650 hst cab,fel,72mmm,48lp forks,48 tiller,PeCo vac,wt box
Mar 15, 2018
Swanton ,Oh
Brush grubber mini,sold at menards,scissor type,larger sizes probably available

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Some version of this may help. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...MIjPKCkYvq3AIVBbXACh0F7A7zEAQYBCABEgK6V_D_BwE

But to remove a cylinder of concrete from the ground will require more effort than a simple tool to clamp and pull up.

I'd suggest you dig down around the concrete a few inches with a shovel (backhoe if you have one) then loop a chain around the concrete as tight as possible. Now take a steel wheel (like from a vehicle, larger is better) and loop the chain over the wheel as the wheel sets right next to the concrete. Now hook the long end of the chain to the ball on your pickup or tractor and pull. The wheel will provide the lift needed to get it coming up and out.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'm frequently finding myself needing to pull various objects from the ground. Currently a number of chain link fencing posts cut beneath ground level by some sinister fiend. I've resorted to drilling holes and inserting bolts through as a means of providing purchase to loop my chain around to pull them, but this is time consuming and enraging. Does anyone know of the proper or common nomenclature for such a device used for lifting/pulling that converts, by means of a scissoring action, the pulling force to exert pinching/gripping force?? I can only assume there is a variety of types and sizes for various industries and applications, but I can't begin to think what to search for... Gold star and eternal gratitude to anyone who can put a name to this thing and make my life a little easier...
Like one of these?
https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en...mps/Below-the-Hook-Lifting-Accessories/c/3879

Boo

Equipment
MX5800; BH92, BB2572, Forks 3048
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
Unless you want to save the post for something, I'd clamp on to it with my grapple and pull it out. The grapple will bend it, but it will be quick.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I'd suggest you dig down around the concrete a few inches with a shovel (backhoe if you have one) then loop a chain around the concrete as tight as possible. Now take a steel wheel (like from a vehicle, larger is better) and loop the chain over the wheel as the wheel sets right next to the concrete. Now hook the long end of the chain to the ball on your pickup or tractor and pull. The wheel will provide the lift needed to get it coming up and out.
Like this:

Attachments

Sodark

Equipment
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
Some version of this may help. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...MIjPKCkYvq3AIVBbXACh0F7A7zEAQYBCABEgK6V_D_BwE

But to remove a cylinder of concrete from the ground will require more effort than a simple tool to clamp and pull up.

Ugh, sorry for the delayed response, couldn't find this post! D2Cat that was not particularly what I had in mind, but now I want one. Handy contraption I would certainly find use in... Thanks for the suggestion and addition to my want list!

Sodark

Equipment
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
Boom. That's what I had in mind. Perhaps not as effective for this specific purposes as some of the other suggestions here, but why add just 1 tool to the garage wall when I can add 5? Thanks for the help everyone!
Search; pallet pullers

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
I picked up a heavy duty Brush Grubber - they come in different sizes

m.t.hands

Equipment
L 5030, L 3400 and BX2200
Jul 26, 2015
NE Bama
I picked up a heavy duty Brush Grubber - they come in different sizes
[/IMG]

jeepin how are yours holding up, i have the BG-01 and they keep bending even though i try to pull inline, i have heated and straightened mine 3x now, thought about fabbing out the lower part/arms that hold the grippers, or just buying the BG-08 or grubber extreme:eek::D great tool just finding the durability on mine a litte light

Last edited:

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I have a set of the forged ones, never have had an issue with them.
The pic you posted look like the arms are just stamped steel.

m.t.hands

Equipment
L 5030, L 3400 and BX2200
Jul 26, 2015
NE Bama
I have a set of the forged ones, never have had an issue with them.
The pic you posted look like the arms are just stamped steel.
they almost look like they have a casting mark on them, but i know they would have crumbled by now, they are heavy enough but seem somewhat malleable to me, i'm sure it is some low-grade low carbon steel

the extreme looks bullet proof, like to try it anyway:D

[/IMG]

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Very clever. Banking this for future use. Thanks guys!
I don't use the wheel trick often, but I try to save up several jobs ( pulling T-posts, saplings, small stumps, etc) and do them all at once. Saves having to drag out that rim & big chain several times.
I use a 15"x 12" wide car rim, works well. The guy who showed me the trick has 3 semi wheels welded together, with the chain over the center one. The wider the better, more stable, but they also get heavy to horse around.

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
jeepin how are yours holding up, i have the BG-01 and they keep bending even though i try to pull inline, i have heated and straightened mine 3x now, thought about fabbing out the lower part/arms that hold the grippers, or just buying the BG-08 or grubber extreme:eek::D great tool just finding the durability on mine a litte light
Mine have held up good - used them for some roots a few weeks ago