Landscape Rake..what a pain in the...

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I picked up a 6' heavy duty landscape rake at a junk yard for cheap. I thought it was going to be a good tool for cleaning up but it really has been a big disappointment. Brush and branches get hung up in between the tines and I find myself constantly getting off the tractor to dislodge the material. I've thought about removing every other tine but I'm not sure the problem won't reoccur. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you remedy it?

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Try shortening the top link so the tines are more vertical. Or rotate the rake 180 degrees backwards so the tines slope down to the rear, then play with the top link length. You may find a position that works for your land.

Bruce

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Best thing you can do is remove every other tine.
Second is do is to shorten top link.
I have a hydraulic top link, so doing that is no problem, and I can change the "attack" angle as suited.
I have to do that when I'm pulling up cedar limbs and trimmings.

RMD

Dec 13, 2017
CT
Landscape rakes really aren't for raking leaves/debris. They are for leveling out earth materials and maybe separating big stones. It's easier to level earth materials with a landscape rake than with a scraper blade or box blade.

bambam31

Equipment
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try turning it around so the open end faces my tractor when I push debris while reversing. If that doesn't work I'll try removing ever other tine. Thanks again.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
What "results" are compromised by having the roots and branches caught up in the tines>

There might be some compromise in the "sifting" action of the rake. My own experience is that the raked surface ends up about the same regardless of debris caught in the tines.

I'm sure a heavy load of loam would show a difficulty. I mostly "rake" the road up to the place.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I use my rake once every spring, on my farm's airstrip, which is just native grasses kept mowed. I use it in the spring when the ground is soft, and it helps smooth away the vole mounds and other bumps, without ripping the surface up. In the past I have also first scattered fertilizer and/or grass seed before raking, with the idea that it will mix it in a bit. I get some small brush in the teeth but don't worry about it until I'm finished, but as stated my use is more or less grass not brush.

rexey

Jun 29, 2017
New Hampshire.
Landscape rakes really aren't for raking leaves/debris. They are for leveling out earth materials and maybe separating big stones. It's easier to level earth materials with a landscape rake than with a scraper blade or box blade.

This is my thought too. Or this is what I use it for. Smooth dirt and rake stones out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
See if the junkyard has a straw rake...it will work much better for the limbs and other debris. Landscape rakes have their purpose...to create landscape, not maintain it.

bambam31

Equipment
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I guess I misunderstood the intended purpose of a landscape rake. To give a little more detail of the problem, I would push a pile of limbs off the food plot and when I pulled away many of the tangled branches would come with the rake. It isn't often that I need to push limbs but then next time the situation arises I'll probably use my grader blade.

groomerbuck

Nov 14, 2015
Palmerton, Pennsylvania,
I guess I misunderstood the intended purpose of a landscape rake. To give a little more detail of the problem, I would push a pile of limbs off the food plot and when I pulled away many of the tangled branches would come with the rake. It isn't often that I need to push limbs but then next time the situation arises I'll probably use my grader blade.

When ever i use our york rake at work, i leave all the branches/roots/weeds/whatever in the rake until the project is complete. They get so tangled that they won’t keep falling out and the rake will still function as normal. Then i take a sawzall and cut them out. It takes about 3mins when the rake is completely stuffed.