B2601 vs BX2680

Ruger.45

Apr 3, 2016
Illinois
Good evening fellas!
I currently have a ZD326 I am trading in for a tractor this month. I have 5.5 acres of ***8220;mini farm***8221;. We have a garden and a couple acres of pasture, with 2 cows and the wife wants goats. We also have an acre of timber that needs a lot of cleaning up. I want to keep the timber but the undergrowth and downed trees are plentiful. I also put in about an acre of deer food plot. And I mow about 1 acre give or take, the yard.
I believe I am leaning heavy towards the B2610 over the BX, but I***8217;d like some owner experience on the issue. I know Kubota sells a tremindous number if BX***8217;s and I***8217;m not sure about B***8217;s.
Here are my reasons for choosing the B over the BX:
1. Position control on 3 point
2. Drawbar
3. No hst fan
4. 3 range hst
5. 2 cylinders on loader
6. Lower idle

Should I stick with the B2601 or go with the BX? This will be the only mower for the time being.

Last edited:

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.
Are you buying with a loader? If so I'd go with the b2601 with 5.5 acres to take care of. I have a BX2670 and it's plenty for my use, but I'm not maintaining 5.5 acres either.

Ruger.45

Apr 3, 2016
Illinois
Yes I will be getting a la434 loader with the skid steer quick attach, a 60” mid mount mower, a quick hitch, and maybe a land pride rtr1250 tiller.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
I work on about 5 acres of hillside timber land with a BX. If it was flatter, I'd have a B. The BX has a lower center of gravity, but also a much lower clearance, and that fan on the bottom. Can't straddle hardly anything, and the wide, close rear tires make it worse for working in a garden, too. I've had it on 3 wheels several times, that may have rolled a B.

Bruce

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I spent a lot of time looking at these two at one point. For me, I ended up deciding I'll go BX again (waiting for next year before I actually buy, as building a shed first), but that's mostly because I have a bit less than an acre I mow, and nothing that needs a B.

The table I came up with at that time was as below.

No code has to be inserted here.

Basically you're getting a tractor that's about 10% more HP (for the BX2380 v's B2601) and weighs about 10% more, but lifts about 30% more on the FEL, and 100% more on the 3ph. That 3ph lift will be really noticeable if you're moving firewood or pavers or anything else on pallets on the back.

Other differences that aren't clear in the table:

• B has a larger displacement, so it makes its power at lower revs, and the engine is less stressed
  • B has 3 speed, so top speed is higher, but also more pull in low gear
  • B has bigger wheels - more traction, more ground clearance, smoother ride, less ground pressure
  • B has position control (doesn't worry me, I don't do anything that requires an implement at a fixed height, my 3ph just goes up to top then back down to ground)
  • About the same size / footprint, give or take, but I couldn't get comparable lengths - one is quoted inclusive 3ph and one exclusive
  • The B has split brakes, which explains it's tighter turning circle. You'll chew up your lawn if you actually do that
  • BX a bit more stable due to lower to ground
  • B 3ph I think has a bit more range of motion as it's a taller tractor
  • Some comfort/ergonomic stuff is different
  • B can have backhoe added at a later date, makes it easier to make the decision to buy one without a backhoe and see later if you need one
  • B has two pumps (one power steering, one FEL/3ph) rather than one. Means if you turn the wheels whilst using FEL, it doesn't slow down the cycle time. But if you look closely, that means the B (if you're not turning the wheels) flows less to the FEL than the BX. I keep meaning to get on one and see if that turns into longer cycle time on the B than the BX - I've never seen anyone complain about it though. And I never turn the wheels whilst using the FEL, or at least not so I've noticed the FEL going slow. And I rarely run at full revs either - the FEL is fast enough at about 2600-2800 revs on the BX.
  • I've seen people say the steering geometry on the B makes it chew up the lawn more. Not sure the reality of that, but I suspect the BX is a bit better mowing. But unless you're making a bowling green, you'll probably not notice the difference - they're both good mowers (and I'll bet the B would mow faster, which I'd like - I mow at 3200rpm and flat out on some stretches in my BX, and I would happily go faster probably if it was geared for it)

In the US there's not that much difference in price, and it seems to me that the B is a lot more tractor. In NZ there's quite a big difference in price (B is a low volume machine here) and ultimately my property is only big enough to justify a lawn mower, people already look sideways at my BX but at least it's arguably not much bigger than a lawn mower. The B is a lot bigger - it's definitely a tractor, people would talk. (And the missus says that's a no-no)

If I had the property you have, I'd be on a B in a flash. The real question you should be asking is whether you need a B2650. :)

Last edited:

Ruger.45

Apr 3, 2016
Illinois
I spent a lot of time looking at these two at one point. For me, I ended up deciding I'll go BX again (waiting for next year before I actually buy, as building a shed first), but that's mostly because I have a bit less than an acre I mow, and nothing that needs a B.

The table I came up with at that time was as below.

No code has to be inserted here.

Basically you're getting a tractor that's about 10% more HP (for the BX2380 v's B2601) and weighs about 10% more, but lifts about 30% more on the FEL, and 100% more on the 3ph. That 3ph lift will be really noticeable if you're moving firewood or pavers or anything else on pallets on the back.

Other differences that aren't clear in the table:

• B has a larger displacement, so it makes its power at lower revs, and the engine is less stressed
  • B has 3 speed, so top speed is higher, but also more pull in low gear
  • B has bigger wheels - more traction, more ground clearance, smoother ride, less ground pressure
  • B has position control (doesn't worry me, I don't do anything that requires an implement at a fixed height, my 3ph just goes up to top then back down to ground)
  • About the same size / footprint, give or take, but I couldn't get comparable lengths - one is quoted inclusive 3ph and one exclusive
  • The B has split brakes, which explains it's tighter turning circle. You'll chew up your lawn if you actually do that
  • BX a bit more stable due to lower to ground
  • B 3ph I think has a bit more range of motion as it's a taller tractor
  • Some comfort/ergonomic stuff is different
  • B can have backhoe added at a later date, makes it easier to make the decision to buy one without a backhoe and see later if you need one
  • B has two pumps (one power steering, one FEL/3ph) rather than one. Means if you turn the wheels whilst using FEL, it doesn't slow down the cycle time. But if you look closely, that means the B (if you're not turning the wheels) flows less to the FEL than the BX. I keep meaning to get on one and see if that turns into longer cycle time on the B than the BX - I've never seen anyone complain about it though. And I never turn the wheels whilst using the FEL, or at least not so I've noticed the FEL going slow. And I rarely run at full revs either - the FEL is fast enough at about 2600-2800 revs on the BX.
  • I've seen people say the steering geometry on the B makes it chew up the lawn more. Not sure the reality of that, but I suspect the BX is a bit better mowing. But unless you're making a bowling green, you'll probably not notice the difference - they're both good mowers (and I'll bet the B would mow faster, which I'd like - I mow at 3200rpm and flat out on some stretches in my BX, and I would happily go faster probably if it was geared for it)

In the US there's not that much difference in price, and it seems to me that the B is a lot more tractor. In NZ there's quite a big difference in price (B is a low volume machine here) and ultimately my property is only big enough to justify a lawn mower, people already look sideways at my BX but at least it's arguably not much bigger than a lawn mower. The B is a lot bigger - it's definitely a tractor, people would talk. (And the missus says that's a no-no)

If I had the property you have, I'd be on a B in a flash. The real question you should be asking is whether you need a B2650. :)
Paul, thank you very much for talking the time to provide me with additional information to help guide my decision. I did look at the B2650 but for me that is too far from a lawn mower and a lot larger machine, which is great if that’s what your looking for.

Ruger.45

Apr 3, 2016
Illinois
I also have a L225 Kubota from the 70’s I believe and it has the quarter inching valve and when working the food plots and garden it’s a pain. Does it get the job done? Yes 100% but for the price difference where I’m at I’d rather have the position control.
Keep the feed back coming guys, my wife is so happy I have someone to talk to this about rather than her!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Dont dispel the BX, yes it is a bit smaller and lighter than the B and has a bit less ground clearance. I too have 5 and 1/2 with woods and field and house grass. The BX will take a bit longer to do somethings but dont count it out. Check your over heads on trees and the like, the ROPS will give you fits,,oh and dont forget to drop the ROPs on either, they will take out a garage door in a heartbeat. With that said, either will do well just remember PLAN PLAN PLAN what you are going to do. Think each move through several times and try to think how things can go sideways and they will.
I till with my BX and plow snow,mow grass pull wood from the woodlot and the little bytch just keeps coming back for more. Choosing either will do you well main thing to remember they are LITTLE TRACTORS not lawn mowers for lowes and either will work hard
Just MHO

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I say go with the B. Like everyone has said, has more capacity, more ground clearance, you can change the fan belt without removing the driveshaft if you ever had to, and yet it is still an excellent finish mower with a light footprint. I have R4 tires and I don't find it tears my lawn up at all. And I have soft sandy soil. The wheels on the mower deck make more marks when I am cranking around my many maple trees.

The new BX is awesome too, and has a lot of really nice features, but for the size of your property and the stuff you want to do I think the B is perfect.

My B project pics:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34775

Ruger.45

Apr 3, 2016
Illinois
I say go with the B. Like everyone has said, has more capacity, more ground clearance, you can change the fan belt without removing the driveshaft if you ever had to, and yet it is still an excellent finish mower with a light footprint. I have R4 tires and I don't find it tears my lawn up at all. And I have soft sandy soil. The wheels on the mower deck make more marks when I am cranking around my many maple trees.

The new BX is awesome too, and has a lot of really nice features, but for the size of your property and the stuff you want to do I think the B is perfect.

My B project pics:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34775
Great info! How close is the B2620 to the B2601?

Ruger.45

Apr 3, 2016
Illinois
Dont dispel the BX, yes it is a bit smaller and lighter than the B and has a bit less ground clearance. I too have 5 and 1/2 with woods and field and house grass. The BX will take a bit longer to do somethings but dont count it out. Check your over heads on trees and the like, the ROPS will give you fits,,oh and dont forget to drop the ROPs on either, they will take out a garage door in a heartbeat. With that said, either will do well just remember PLAN PLAN PLAN what you are going to do. Think each move through several times and try to think how things can go sideways and they will.
I till with my BX and plow snow,mow grass pull wood from the woodlot and the little bytch just keeps coming back for more. Choosing either will do you well main thing to remember they are LITTLE TRACTORS not lawn mowers for lowes and either will work hard
Just MHO
I can tell the BX's are workhorses just by looking at them!

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Great info! How close is the B2620 to the B2601?]

Identical as far as engine, power, transmission, and capacity.

But the 2601 is the new and improved. Bonuses it has that my 2620 doesn't:

1. Position control for the 3pt hitch. Mine is quarter inching.

2. Left side brake pedal.Although I like having the clutch pedal on my HST 2620, the 2601 would be easier to make use of the steering brakes.

3. You get built in rear remotes if you add them, with the control valves in the right side fender. Mine are bolted to the ROPS bar.

4. You get skid steer quick attach for the loader. Mine is pin-on bucket.

5. You get a 12V power port.....I had to add one.

That's the main differences.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
They also both have an excellent drive over mid mount mower deck. So easy to take on and off.

groomerbuck

Nov 14, 2015
Palmerton, Pennsylvania,
Id go with the b series. I really dont think stability is an issue between the two. I had a 2015 bx2370 and now have a b2650. I honestly feel that the b2650 is as stable if not more then the bx was. The only thing i was worried about was the mower cut quality with the bigger tractor. But that worry went out the window after the first mow. The b2650 actually mows WAY nicer the my bx did.
But either way, im sure youll love either tractor.

elburro

Equipment
B3350
Jul 19, 2017
Indiana
If you plan on a wood chipper and decide a pto driven chipper is for you, note the pto hp and consider if it meets your needs.

Last edited:

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
And as far as chipper. I run a Wallenstein BXM 32 chipper/shredder and do hardwood maple. I have ran bigger than 3 inch through it and never found a lack of power just so you know.

Even taking full width and full depth cuts with the 51 inch rear blower has never bogged down the 26 horsepower. My neighbours 23 h.p. BX runs the chipper too.

Ruger.45

Apr 3, 2016
Illinois
Great info! How close is the B2620 to the B2601?]

Identical as far as engine, power, transmission, and capacity.

But the 2601 is the new and improved. Bonuses it has that my 2620 doesn't:

1. Position control for the 3pt hitch. Mine is quarter inching.

2. Left side brake pedal.Although I like having the clutch pedal on my HST 2620, the 2601 would be easier to make use of the steering brakes.

3. You get built in rear remotes if you add them, with the control valves in the right side fender. Mine are bolted to the ROPS bar.

4. You get skid steer quick attach for the loader. Mine is pin-on bucket.

5. You get a 12V power port.....I had to add one.

That's the main differences.
Looks like they made some decent improvements. In my opinion position control is a big deal, as well as independent wheel brakes.

Ruger.45

Apr 3, 2016
Illinois
Id go with the b series. I really dont think stability is an issue between the two. I had a 2015 bx2370 and now have a b2650. I honestly feel that the b2650 is as stable if not more then the bx was. The only thing i was worried about was the mower cut quality with the bigger tractor. But that worry went out the window after the first mow. The b2650 actually mows WAY nicer the my bx did.
But either way, im sure youll love either tractor.
Thanks for the information. That’s the one thing I thought the BX would outperform the B2601 mowing, but it sounds like you experience is the other way around.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I can use my right side steer brakes Ruger.45 but I reach down and use my hand, LOL.